Elias torches Clarkson and Leafs in interview

Marshall

In the latest Pro Hockey issue (Swedish/European magazine) Elias had some candid comments...gonna go buy this and see what else he said. He was interviewed by a Czech journalist. Link to some of the comments in Swedish here: http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/14874379/legendarens-sagning-leafs-ar-galna?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The interesting bits translated below:

"Clarkson isn't worth the money"

There's harsh criticism coming from a somewhat unexpected place. Old teammate Patrik Elias has trouble understanding 

the idea behind the decision by Leafs management to spend so much money on Clarkson.

- Clarkson definitely isn't worth [AAV listed in Swedish krona], Elias tells Pro Hockey. I don't understand the Leafs, they're crazy. Sure, he could put the puck in the net but that's it. He's not a versatile player.

In Pro Hockey's article it's revealed that Elias despite everything is content with the summer's turbulence in New Jersey, where not only Clarkson left but also superstar Ilya Kovalchuk, who shocked many when he retired from his NHL career, with 12 years left on his contract.

- Offensively Ilya was gifted, he knows how to score, says Elias. But defensively he wasn't reliable. He made a few mistakes in every game.

-When I read his quotes about the departure being the best for both sides, I agree, continues Elias.  He didn't feel good in our system and couldn't adapt to the discipline we value here. Now Devils can use the money differently.

Elias seems like he'd be a real interesting guy to talk Devils hockey with in a bar over a few beers...like Chico.  Both have pretty strong opinions, and they're definitely not all sunshine. 

Strictly speculation on my part, but I don't think he was ever a big fan of Kovy.  When Kovy seemingly had to be dragged back from Russia last year, I think Elias was thinking, "The hell with this guy".  And he probably wasn't alone...I think Elias is well-respected in that locker room.

very interesting comments, particularly the clarkson ones. not sure its a good idea to be taking a shot at an ex-teammate. and imo it sounds a bit like sour grapes.  "how dare they pay him MY salary" even if it is true...if clarksy could catch him he might run him into the boards next game.  he should have ended with a "good for david"

Thats awesome lol

Elias has the luxury of being the vet who can say wtv he wants plus he's not in the spotlight like Marty so his comments will probably not have much traction.

You'd never see Henrique or another youngster go out and say something like that at this stage of their career.

I'd definitely see Elias as a future head coach in NJ though, absolutely. He's too smart to do something less than that

I'd definitely see Elias as a future head coach in NJ though, absolutely. He's too smart to do something less than that

I think I'd prefer to see him as GM like Chimaira was saying. He seems like he has the demeanor for it more than for a coach and for whatever reason, I just don't know that I want to see Brodeur as GM.

I think I'd prefer to see him as GM like Chimaira was saying. He seems like he has the demeanor for it more than for a coach and for whatever reason, I just don't know that I want to see Brodeur as GM.

Yup agreed. I just dont think the timing is good for that. Patty still has a few years left playing, Lou god knows when he'll step down but you'd think Elias would need a few years of not playing working within the organization before stepping as a GM.

If it happens well sweet though

Elias seems like he'd be a real interesting guy to talk Devils hockey with in a bar over a few beers...like Chico.  Both have pretty strong opinions, and they're definitely not all sunshine. 

Strictly speculation on my part, but I don't think he was ever a big fan of Kovy.  When Kovy seemingly had to be dragged back from Russia last year, I think Elias was thinking, "The hell with this guy".  And he probably wasn't alone...I think Elias is well-respected in that locker room.

Without every hearing these comments, I would have guessed Elias and Clarkson were not friendly at all. Probably heard Clarkson do 30 interviews thanking vets from NJ during his entire career, and Elias was never mentioned once.

Elias might be well respected as a vet, but I don't think he is so friendly with many of the North American guys. Don't really care either way.

As for ripping Kovy during his time here, I don't know...I thought he had done a fairly good job over the last year and a bit in the defensive end. He wasn't meant for the Devils offensive system and a player of his skill shouldn't have to be.

On another note, I don't get why these foreign players feel comfortable talking to media overseas and giving them quotes they never would here. The controversial comments always come back to North America. For all we know, these comments were surrounded by some positive stuff, but who knows. A lot of people can make the case that many years Elias wasn't worth $6 million and he won't be worth the $5+ for the next 3 seasons. 

Without every hearing these comments, I would have guessed Elias and Clarkson were not friendly at all. Probably heard Clarkson do 30 interviews thanking vets from NJ during his entire career, and Elias was never mentioned once.

Elias might be well respected as a vet, but I don't think he is so friendly with many of the North American guys. Don't really care either way.

As for ripping Kovy during his time here, I don't know...I thought he had done a fairly good job over the last year and a bit in the defensive end. He wasn't meant for the Devils offensive system and a player of his skill shouldn't have to be.

On another note, I don't get why these foreign players feel comfortable talking to media overseas and giving them quotes they never would here. The controversial comments always come back to North America. For all we know, these comments were surrounded by some positive stuff, but who knows. A lot of people can make the case that many years Elias wasn't worth $6 million and he won't be worth the $5+ for the next 3 seasons. 

I'm not saying Elias is a saint and can do no wrong.  I'm more saying I think he's got some interesting opinions, some of which would probably be surprising.  What he's saying in this case isn't really all that controversial, if you think about it...neither player is a teammate of Elias' anymore.  Kovy might as well be playing on another planet, and who knows, maybe if Clarkson ever hears about these commetns, he goes out of his way to throw a check at Elias next time the Devils play the Leafs.  Not like anything's really coming out of any of this. 

I don't think he was ever really going to leave. Probably just a power move his agent told him to do to get a better contract from Lou. Same thing Marty did last year.

Supposedly, he was all set to go to the Rangers if Sather had been willing to put a no-trade clause in his contract...Sather refused, so he stayed with the Devils and signed his 7-year, $42 million deal that turned out to be pretty good overall (but was looking pretty shaky after the first two seasons, especially during that 4 goals in 44 GP stretch.)

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm not saying Elias is a saint and can do no wrong.  I'm more saying I think he's got some interesting opinions, some of which would probably be surprising.  What he's saying in this case isn't really all that controversial, if you think about it...neither player is a teammate of Elias' anymore.  Kovy might as well be playing on another planet, and who knows, maybe if Clarkson ever hears about these commetns, he goes out of his way to throw a check at Elias next time the Devils play the Leafs.  Not like anything's really coming out of any of this. 

Supposedly, he was all set to go to the Rangers if Sather had been willing to put a no-trade clause in his contract...Sather refused, so he stayed with the Devils and signed his 7-year, $42 million deal that turned out to be pretty good overall (but was looking pretty shaky after the first two seasons, especially during that 4 goals in 44 GP stretch.

god could you picture elias in a rags jersey.. thats enough to ruin my day

god could you picture elias in a rags jersey.. thats enough to ruin my day

I could picture just about anyone not named Martin Brodeur wearing a Rags jersey...just the way it is.  Playing for that team appeals to a lot of hockey players, though I think more than a few have found out that playing there isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be...that being said, even though the Rangers did nothing while Bobby Holik played for them, and even though his contract quickly became an albatross (though, like Gomez, he did about what should have been expected of him...Sather thinks paying good players superstar money will make them superstars), Holik has always maintained that he LOVED playing in NY, and with the Rangers.  Go figure, but that seemed to be symptomatic of those Ranger teams...they all loved skating on Garden Ice and they all loved being well-paid, but they didn't seem to mind losing much. 

I'm not in love with the idea of bringing players that are legends with the fanbase to be the head coach or GM.  You never know whether they'll pan out, and it's more difficult to fire them when you ordinarily would. 

I'm not in love with the idea of bringing players that are legends with the fanbase to be the head coach or GM.  You never know whether they'll pan out, and it's more difficult to fire them when you ordinarily would. 

I don't honestly think it would be very much harder to fire Elias than it would any GM. It's never easy to fire a GM anyway. I just think that overall Elias' somewhat straight to the point no-nonsense demeanor kinda fits more with a GM than it does as a coach. I honestly got more of a warm and fuzzy feeling from Pat Burns than I do from Elias.