Can we get some line speculation going here please?

njdevsftw

the devils forwards have age yes, but it is conceivable that next year (15-16), outside of greene who will only be 33, the entire defense will be 25 or younger. triumph once told me there was no way the devils would ever have this defense, but it is far from inconceivable:

greene-larsson

gelinas-merrill

severson-santini

imagining that all of them reach their potential (that doesn't mean they're all stars - just that they're all solid nhl'ers with their strengths being strengths), that's a real good home grown defense.

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Well, duh. If you find a good liney for Greene (Merrill preferrably) and Jagr doesn't drop off too much they could be 60%+ CF. And score goalz.

Henrique-Elias-Havlat

I don't like Henrique as a center, was much more productive as Elias' wing.

Clowe-Josefson-Brunner

Hey one can dream. I'm imagining that Ryder has more cache around the league and is traded over Brunner. 

Ruutu-Gionta-Zubrus

Whatever.

Ex: Bernier, Sislo.

Greene-Merrill

Salvador-Zidlicky

Gelinas-Larsson

Harrold

Still way early but my guess at the opening night:

Cammalleri-zajac-jagr

Everyone and their mother can see this one.

Clowe-henrique-zubrus

This is the type of line Pete can put against an opponents' top line and hope to come out better than even, and allows the jagr and Elias lines to face easier competition. Everyone likes henrique on wing but we just don't have he center depth to make that move yet.

Havlat-Elias-Ryder

If everything goes right that's some quality offensive skill and if anyone can get Ryder going it's Elias. I can also see Ryder and clowe switching here and shifting havlat to the rw.

Ruutu-gionta-bernier/Brunner

If gionta is breathing, he's playing. With bernier in this line I can see Pete matching these guys against better quality like he's done with cbgb in the past.

Extra: josefson

Greene-Merrill

Salvador-zidlicky

Gelinas-Larsson.

Pete has used Merrill on the right and trusted him enough and Greene should be a perfect guy to bring him along. Try to capture the magic that was the gelinas-Larsson pair mid season last year. Late game situations you can switch around gelinas and Salvador as needed to protect a lead or try to get a goal.

They didn't sign Gionta and Bernier to not play them. Josefson likely will be in Albany and one other guy (Ryder? Brunner? Both?) will probably be traded.

So I'd say:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Havlat-Elias-Henrique

Clowe- ?- Ruutu

Bernier-Gionta-Zubrus

The ? Could be the center they pick up by trading Ryder and Brunner. Or Zubrus can center Line #3 and someone else can fill the fourth line (Brunner if not traded, or maybe Matteu).

They didn't sign Gionta and Bernier to not play them. Josefson likely will be in Albany and one other guy (Ryder? Brunner? Both?) will probably be traded.

So I'd say:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Havlat-Elias-Henrique

Clowe- ?- Ruutu

Bernier-Gionta-Zubrus

The ? Could be the center they pick up by trading Ryder and Brunner. Or Zubrus can center Line #3 and someone else can fill the fourth line (Brunner if not traded, or maybe Matteu).

if you're going that route, don't rule out that we could pick up Roy with the cap we save by trading Ryder for like a pick or whatever.

Cammalleri   Henrique   Ryder

Brunner        Zajac        Jagr

Clowe           Elias         Havlat

Ruutu          Gionta       Zubrus

Bernier

So I'd say:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr

Havlat-Elias-Henrique

Clowe- ?- Ruutu

Bernier-Gionta-Zubrus

Bernier will see himself scratched a good amount if he doesn't play defense.  I'd say you can slot Josefson in the 3rd line center spot.  This is his make or break year.  Josefson would get claimed on waivers if you send him down.  

Havlat should play with Elias until he proves he can't. Cammalleri will play with Zajac and Jagr.

Jagr and Ruutu had great chemistry during the short time they were together. I'd like to see them continue together. Cammalleri doesnt fit that cycling grinder style.

My lines:

Ruutu  Zajac  Jagr

Cammalleri Elias Havlat

Clowe  Henrique Ryder

Zubrus  Josefson  Bernier

Edited by devlman

Jagr and Ruutu had great chemistry during the short time they were together. I'd like to see them continue together. Cammalleri doesnt fit that cycling grinder style.

My lines:

Ruutu  Zajac  Jagr

Cammalleri Elias Havlat

Clowe  Henrique Ryder

Zubrus  Josefson  Bernier

I could see being used.  I'd actually dig this if you're going to play Henrique at center. 

I could see being used.  I'd actually dig this if you're going to play Henrique at center. 

Its not bad as long as the 3rd line is getting decent minutes. I'd hate to waste Henrique on a line that was getting less than 1st or 2nd line type minutes.

I watched all the goals from 13-14 for Cammo and Jagr. My concern with putting them on the same line is that they both typically get their goals from the same side of the ice. Only big difference is that Cammo scores a bit more from the left circle and Jagr gets some goals from the slot area. I think we should seriously look at Ryder at LW since he's a RH shot.

I watched all the goals from 13-14 for Cammo and Jagr. My concern with putting them on the same line is that they both typically get their goals from the same side of the ice. Only big difference is that Cammo scores a bit more from the left circle and Jagr gets some goals from the slot area. I think we should seriously look at Ryder at LW since he's a RH shot.

I couldn't agree more. Jagr likes to make a lot of plays where MC is gonna have the hard across the body one timers. Even thought Vrbata plays RW, putting him on LW would have been deadly.

ive literally been thinking the same thing. last year zajac and jagr need a solid left wing to play with them all of last year so what i would do is put havlat on the top line and have cammo play on the second line with patty and henrique. 3rd and 4th lines i have no clue what to do with. so my lines would look something like this

Havlat-Zajac-Jagr

Henrique-Elias-Cammalleri

Clowe-Zubrus-Brunner

Ruutu- Gionta- Bernier

i really feel the devils should keep Brunner over Ryder. i feel like ryder will be traded before the season starts for a pick or something. ryders up there in age and slow as my grandma. i like brunners speed. Brunner was extremely streaky but i feel like this year will be different for him after a year in our system.  if ryder ends up staying just put him on the 4th line instead of bernier. i think were definitely pretty deep this year

Edited by nmm90392

IDK maybe it is just me but every time I see the title of this thread it cracks me up.  It's like the OP is really anxious to see what people think the line combos will be for next year like it's the most important thing on the planet right now.

I guess I will shut up if no one else thinks the same way.

As bad as he looked last year, I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Ryder. 

Dude has 5 seasons of scoring 25+ goals.  

His 2011 season was very similar in points to last year, and he followed that season with a 35 goal output.

He was pretty snake-bit last year, so I'm willing to give him another chance.  Brunner doesn't have the track record of Ryder, and was signed out of necessity last year.

His 2011 season was very similar in points to last year, and he followed that season with a 35 goal output.

He was pretty snake-bit last year, so I'm willing to give him another chance.  Brunner doesn't have the track record of Ryder, and was signed out of necessity last year.

He just doesn't fit the system though. He skates worse than anyone I've ever seen and is just all around crap besides his shot, which is really good. Brunner gave us practically the same amount of ppg as Ryder did, costs $1M less, is younger and faster.

• Like 1

On paper our team looks decent.  But it did last year too and you see where that landed us...so I won't hold my breath.

I'll be honest, I felt zero confidence going into last year's regular season as I do now. Analysts/bloggers too.

There was a glaring hole due to Kovalchuk leaving that we knew wasn't patched and I had nothing but doubts about Jagr's role on the team too. Granted, I thought Ryder would've had a better year than he did, and although I was skeptical about Clowe being injury prone, I thought he'd have more GP than he did. But all that put together, I still sort of guessed we'd finish just out of a playoff spot, as many did.

This year's another story. Cammalleri has addressed somewhat what's left of the Kovalchuk hole, while we know what Jagr's capable of, even if he doesn't get last year's numbers. Our other additions are also a net gain, and that's before the inevitable trade that seems like it will have to be made.

Edited by DJ Eco

On paper our team looks decent.  But it did last year too and you see where that landed us...so I won't hold my breath.

Again, we weren't that far from the playoffs, even with the patchwork offense that we started the season with.  This has been stated multiple times on this board that it's not like we were basement dwellers.  We were transitioning from the loss of two(arguably three) big goal scorers on the team, on top of that we didn't win a single shootout in tiebreakers.  People see missing the playoffs as a goddamn sin, even when we weren't far off from making it the past two years we missed.

I'm not sure who I'd rather keep out of the two, probably Brunner, but only because Ryder is slower on his feet.  But Brunner was not signed out of necessity, a player signed out of necessity is signed in July, NOT a tryout who impresses at training camp.