#8601 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

sounds like an x-files line.

While your idea is high on the cool factor, I look at it along the same lines as the unnecessary work Dr Evil put into the demise of Austin Powers, putting him on a slowly lowering platform and leaving him to drop into a pool of ill-tempered seabass.

I'd think a nice powerful explosive would disrupt the rotation of the tornado as well, but the people in the trailer park would probably frown on it. Posted Image

Either way, they're putting in an insurance claim so what's the difference?
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#8602 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

true ... true.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#8603 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

Well howdy doody folks! Seems an age since I last said hi.

And hello fellow weather geek, Zubie#8. Thunderstorms are frickin awesome indeed. Weird thing, since moving to Australian, seen way more hail in 3 years than I did in my 7 years in Albany! Including golf to tennis ball size stuff thst beat the coral out of my car while I was eating Christmas dinner. The car is now also a fully fledged weather geek.

But this is all pointless because here in the Northern hemisphere lower level circulations only spin counter clockwise. Only upper level highs can spin clockwise. :evil:

So I have to correct you on one point there. Anticyclonic tornadoes (ones that spin clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere) are rare, but not impossible. In fact an F4 anticyclonic tornadotore through Sunnyvale-Los Altos, CA in 1998.

And anticyclonic storms (mesoscale convective systems) do form as the right hand book-end vortices on bow echoes, although they usually don't develop to the extent the left hand cyclonic one will, ie. the one often associated with non-showered tornadoes.

But I am no tornado chasing meteorologist, so check my facts!

And god damn this was challenging to do on my phone.

Edited by ThreeStars, 28 June 2012 - 01:15 AM.

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#8604 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

This thread isn't as active as it used to be and that makes me sad.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#8605 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Is it just me, or has vodka officially gone full retard with the number of flavors you can buy? Don't get wrong, I do really like some of it. Van Gogh's Double Espresso vodka is friggin ridiculous, and Sweet Carolina's Sweet Tea vodka is dangerously good (almost killed a handle of it over the last two days making John Dalys). But Pinnacle is out of control. Atomic Hots? Cookie Dough? What the hell do you mix that with? And I'm pretty sure I saw Three Olives with a flavor called Dude. "Dude" and "flavor" should never exist in the same sentence unless you're trying to induce vomiting.

/rant
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#8606 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

wtf i just found i been drinking Kool-aid in Brazil my entire childhood and never realized, because unstead o been called Kool-Aid they are called "Ki-Suco" in Brazil LOL

:koolaid: :koolaid:

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#8607 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Is it just me, or has vodka officially gone full retard with the number of flavors you can buy? Don't get wrong, I do really like some of it. Van Gogh's Double Espresso vodka is friggin ridiculous, and Sweet Carolina's Sweet Tea vodka is dangerously good (almost killed a handle of it over the last two days making John Dalys). But Pinnacle is out of control. Atomic Hots? Cookie Dough? What the hell do you mix that with? And I'm pretty sure I saw Three Olives with a flavor called Dude. "Dude" and "flavor" should never exist in the same sentence unless you're trying to induce vomiting.

/rant

It's 100% women. Specifically college-aged women who don't actually like alcoholic beverages but need something to get them drunk. I've watched it for two years now. What pushed it over the top for me was whipped cream vodka. Absolutely disgusting.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#8608 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

It's 100% women. Specifically college-aged women who don't actually like alcoholic beverages but need something to get them drunk. I've watched it for two years now. What pushed it over the top for me was whipped cream vodka. Absolutely disgusting.

I thought the Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka flavor was a stretch. Then they came out with Cherry Whipped Cream and Chocolate Whipped Cream flavors And last time I went to the liquor store I saw actual whipped cream in a spray can, like Reddi Wip, but with alcohol in it. Enough's enough.

Like I said, I actually like a select few so I can't be too harsh a judge without being a hypocrite. But even the ones I like take a firm back seat to a glass of Irish whiskey and some ice. The day Bushmills comes out with a blueberry pancake flavor, I officially lose all faith in humanity.
Posted Image

#8609 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

I thought the Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka flavor was a stretch. Then they came out with Cherry Whipped Cream and Chocolate Whipped Cream flavors And last time I went to the liquor store I saw actual whipped cream in a spray can, like Reddi Wip, but with alcohol in it. Enough's enough.

Like I said, I actually like a select few so I can't be too harsh a judge without being a hypocrite. But even the ones I like take a firm back seat to a glass of Irish whiskey and some ice. The day Bushmills comes out with a blueberry pancake flavor, I officially lose all faith in humanity.

Dustin Penner Pancake Vodka? :lol:

#8610 Cachorro Louco

Cachorro Louco

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Why does FOX have to screw up the Formula 1 Schedule on Speed???

Speed does a great job with Formula 1 always shows the Practices, Qualifying and the Race Live.

But Fox Been Fox decide that they want to Broadcast four races on FOX. Nothing wrong with that except that they air the race 4/5 hours after the race took place. So the only way to watch those four races live is on FSN. But FSN are regional channels and not everybody got them( my case).

fvck you FOX.

Posted Image

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose."

Ayrton Senna da Siva

#8611 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Time to bitch about my apartment.

I live on the third and top floor of my building. A year ago, a wind storm came through and ripped off the vinyl siding that covered the underside of the roof hanging over my kitchen windows. I called maintenance and it never got fixed.

Birds then made a nest in the roof's now-exposed soft underbelly. I called maintenance to fix it and it never got fixed. Dealing with those birds and all the other birds loudly trying to steal their nest slowly became an accepted part of our everyday life here.

Then several weeks back, I came home for work on a Monday and heard scratching and squawking coming from inside our kitchen wall. There was a bird stuck in there somehow. I called maintenance, but it was after their normal hours so I had to settle for leaving a voicemail.

The next morning, I heard the same scratching and squawking while getting ready for work. I called maintenance from work and was told that it sounded like a bird was stuck in a dryer vent that runs through that part of the wall. Fixing that requires a ladder, and because it was raining that day, it was unsafe for anyone to be climbing a ladder. I was assured that as soon as the weather cleared, our wall bird would be removed. When I came home from work, the bird was still making noise.

The next morning, more scratching and squawking. I called again from work and got a new, but similar, excuse. The ladder is a two-man job -- one to hold and one to climb the thing -- and because most of their guys were at some maintenance meeting, only one was available. I was assured that as soon as two guys were available, out wall bird would be removed. When I came home from work, the bird was still making noise.

The next morning, more scratching and sqawking. I called again from work and got a whole new excuse. Apparently now clearing out this vent required access to the attic, and for some reason our maintenance people can't access the attics they're paid to maintain. I was assured that as soon as they could access the attic (whatever bullsh!t that meant), our wal bird would be removed. When I came home from work, there was silence. The bird was dead.

The next day was Friday, and I took the day off to deal with this. Finally, someone actually came to the apartment. All he did was hook up a modified leaf-blower to our dryer vent to "blow out the lines". He said it didn't sound like there was a bird in the line, so he'd be back later to try something else. He never came back. I called maintenance and was assured someone would come by. No one did. So I went to the office and found the head of maintenance. He dropped what he was doing and came straight to our building.

Within second of seeing the building, he knew what the problem was. It had nothing to do with vents or attics. It was our roof birds. One fell through a crack in the wall and died. He promised to hire a roofing contractor to get the nests out of there and seal up the roof. The next day I left for a two-week business trip.

When I came home, the roof had been fixed but nothing had been done to remove the bird carcass from our kitchen wall. That Thursday night ... two weeks from the day the bird died ... we saw beetles in the apartment for the first time since moving in about a year and a half ago. I killed 'em and thought nothing of it.

Saturday my fiancee and I went to Jersey to visit some family and friends. When we came back Sunday evening, we found flies. They had gray stripes on their backs and wide-set red eyes. A quick Google search revealed that they're called Flesh Flies, and -- surprise! -- their maggots are laid in the corpes of dead animals. In a matter of about two hours, I killed 12 of these flies. I called maintenance and left a message.

Today I took the day off again to deal with this, and haven't seen a single fly yet. I wanna get back on the horn with maintenance and shove my foot up thier asses, but if they came by they'd see nothing. And apparently, once an animal corpse has been used to feed maggots, there isn't enough left for another batch of maggots to be laid there, so it could be that this nuisance has already run its course.

Believe it or not, that's the quick version of the story. :lol:
Posted Image

#8612 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Sounds like being a grown up sucks man. Luckily still have a few years to crash at home.

#8613 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

And I'm not even a homeowner!

One of my favorite Mitch Hedberg jokes was, "I went to a Home Depot the other day, which was unnecessary. I should have gone to Apartment Depot, which is a warehouse full of people saying 'I ain't gotta fix sh!t!'"
Posted Image

#8614 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Yer lucky the maggots ate the decaying bird carcass. As I read I figured you were heading towards a stench of death engulfing your kitchen. Glad to see the hungry, hungry maggots took care of that for you. I do think you are in the clear though.... that is as long as while the siding was gone the under belly didn't get real wet and cause mold to get a foothold. wonk wonk. Posted Image

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#8615 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yer lucky the maggots ate the decaying bird carcass. As I read I figured you were heading towards a stench of death engulfing your kitchen. Glad to see the hungry, hungry maggots took care of that for you. I do think you are in the clear though.... that is as long as while the siding was gone the under belly didn't get real wet and cause mold to get a foothold. wonk wonk. Posted Image

Yeah, I think we were saved by the fact that it was probably a baby bird, so there wasn't much for the maggots to feed on. It was also the smaller of the two types of birds we had living in our roof (I think I forgot the detail that we actually had two nests within eight or so feet of each other). If it was the bigger birds, and an adult, we'd be totally screwed.
Posted Image

#8616 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Finally gave in and got an iPhone. Any app suggestions?
Posted Image

#8617 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Finally gave in and got an iPhone. Any app suggestions?

Probably shoulda waited for the iPhone 5!

Anyways, what do you have so far?

#8618 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

I was thinking about waiting for the 5. But my contract was up, old phone was doing some seriously screwy things (like changing my alarm at random times), and decided I just didn't wanna wait any longer. The best part so far is that I don't have to use my iPod in the car anymore. The iPod interface with my Forester's stereo absolutely blows, but using the bluetooth to listen to iTunes from my phone is friggin outstanding.

So far I've got: Find iPhone, Instagram, Camera Awesome, MapQuest, Urbanspoon, Yelp, Wi-Fi Finder, GasBuddy, ShopSavvy, PNC Virtual Wallet, Facebook, Twitter, Flixter, sudoku, Wikipedia, Dictionary, Urban Dictionary, CNN, ESPN ScoreCenter, B'More Happy Hour, Embark DC, Go Out DC, DC City Guide, Embark Philly, Philly City Guide, Embark NJ Transit, Embark NYC, NYC City Guide.

I'm trying to focus more on the utility of it rather than use it as a game machine, but if there are must-have games then, well, I guess I must have 'em.
Posted Image

#8619 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

SoundHound & Shazam for song ID
Pandora
Flashlight
Tapatalk (to read this site, among others)
IMDB
Redbox (if you use it)
Fandango
HBOGo (if you have HBO)
Netflix, Hulu if you have them
Starbucks, Walmart, Amazon if you frequent them
News apps...CNN, Fox, etc...plus NJ.com
Sports apps, Fire & Ice, CBC, TSN, NHL
Airline/travel apps if you travel

For Games, right now I'm playing Flow, Words with Friends and Draw Something.

#8620 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

The second I read it, I started downloading the app for Gulitti's blog. The fact that it has its own app is friggin outstanding. Thanks for the heads up, and for the rest of the suggestions too. Gonna go through and check 'em out.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users