GDT: New Jersey at Tampa Bay - 7:30PM

gardenstatepkwy

Real sad, how many times are they going to throw away games, I'm getting to the point if they are ahead in the third I'm waiting for them to lose the game.

And Lou will do nothing about it. I would be shocked if we make the playoffs, and if we do 1st round! If we're healthy maybe 2nd round and its golf time. Sorry guys losing faith! I know I'm suppose to always beleive but I think Lou is thinking too much about next year and how to resign ufa !

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see Loikotonov's shootout attempt in Ottawa?  That was beyond terrible.  They don't have anyone that knows what they're doing in the skills competition.  Marty's right, they need to practice it this year.  They don't have Kovy or Parise who can fall out of their bed and score shootout goals, or a Marty/Moose that actually make most of the SO stops.

thank goodness we play again tonight, hopefully it will get the vomit taste out of the mouth quickly.

Harrold was AHL material last night after a string of really good games  he looked small and lost

fayne was very rustly looking, volch and sal have aboubt 5 mins of quality nhl play in them now.  (sal actually had 4 strong behind the net get-outs in the last 3 mins)  but the icing strategy backfired

besides the tip in trys from point shots what is clarksons game right now??????

is henrique a 2nd liner or a 4th ????

whoever made the limited range shortstop comparison with gio was spot on

kovy zubie tallinder and JJ PLEASE!

Henrique hasn't been generating anything for the whole season. He is getting opportunistic goals, he actually looked lost with Dags and Lokti last night. He needs to step up. As for Clarkson, he needs to get away from Elias and Zajac when we get our depth back.

I missed period 1 and half of period 2, however for the second half of the game that I did get to see i was overly annoyed, I don't understand how you can blow an entire game like that when your winning by two goals half way threw the third. I hate to say it but devils hockey is becoming bad for my blood pressure lately!

someone mentioned and i think, if healthy, and knowing gionta will not get out of the lineup, this is what i'd like to see:

ponikarovsky-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-d'agostini

zubrus-henrique-clarkson

carter-gionta-bernier

obviously i'd prefer josefson for gionta but i just don't see that happening.

someone mentioned and i think, if healthy, and knowing gionta will not get out of the lineup, this is what i'd like to see:

ponikarovsky-loktionov-kovalchuk

elias-zajac-d'agostini

zubrus-henrique-clarkson

carter-gionta-bernier

obviously i'd prefer josefson for gionta but i just don't see that happening.

Flip Poni and Zubrus and I'll go along with that.  Poni cannot hang with Lokti/Kovy.  At least Zubrus would give the first line a physical presence they need and a 'little' bit more offensive skill.

Edited by NJDevs4978

How is everyone ready to throw Gionta under the bus? Blowing the game was a team effort, though I have a specific gripe with Volchenkov last night. But if there's any forward worth picking on I have to say it's Kostopulous. I realize the timing is a little bad, but what does this guy bring? He's supposed to be a grinder/tough guy? I haven't really seen anything spectacular he's done to get embedded in the lineup that Barch can't, and Barch is a way better fighter. But I don't think we need any more toughness in the lineup, we need goals, I'd rather see Pesonen in there.

And the powerplay,it was decent last night, but looking at the whole Kovyless, and for that matter the PP with Kovy it's been pretty bad. So managing without Kovy I have an idea. Why don't we put Greene and Zidlicky on the points. My reasoning is this, I don't think we have a forward that is capable of quarterbacking the powerplay as well, or even the same way as Kovy. But Greene and Zids have made some great things happen from the point, plus having Zidlicky back there is like half having a forward, so why the hell not? Alright sorry for the long post, just had a few things I wanted to get off my chest before I explode thinking about last nights game.

How is everyone ready to throw Gionta under the bus? Blowing the game was a team effort, though I have a specific gripe with Volchenkov last night. But if there's any forward worth picking on I have to say it's Kostopulous. I realize the timing is a little bad, but what does this guy bring? He's supposed to be a grinder/tough guy? I haven't really seen anything spectacular he's done to get embedded in the lineup that Barch can't, and Barch is a way better fighter. But I don't think we need any more toughness in the lineup, we need goals, I'd rather see Pesonen in there.

And the powerplay,it was decent last night, but looking at the whole Kovyless, and for that matter the PP with Kovy it's been pretty bad. So managing without Kovy I have an idea. Why don't we put Greene and Zidlicky on the points. My reasoning is this, I don't think we have a forward that is capable of quarterbacking the powerplay as well, or even the same way as Kovy. But Greene and Zids have made some great things happen from the point, plus having Zidlicky back there is like half having a forward, so why the hell not? Alright sorry for the long post, just had a few things I wanted to get off my chest before I explode thinking about last nights game.

Because he is terrible.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Gio is terrible. I think it's more that PDB is having Gio play in situations he shouldn't be playing in; PKs and that last minute 6 on 5.

He's bad.  He brings virtually nothing to the table.  There is no sugarcoating it.  The advanced metrics bear this out.  He's terrible at face-offs, and any time he's out on the ice, the Devils are getting out-shot, pinned in their own zone and he just floats around hoping for his wingers to do the dirty work and keep the puck possession in gear.  For anybody who says he should be moved to wing, doesn't realize how awful he is along the boards and the fact that because of his size, he can't win any physical battles.

Deboer can be as stubborn as he wants to be, and maybe a part of it is that he's got no other alternatives.  But his insistence on playing Gionta up on the lines is holding other players down like an anchor, his matching of Gionta against Stamkos tonight was mind-blowing in it's idiocy.  When Josefson gets healthy, Gionta needs to be waived or healthy scratched the rest of the way and he shouldn't be brought back next year either. 

We can do significantly better than having him in the lineup, that's for darn sure.

He's bad.  He brings virtually nothing to the table.  There is no sugarcoating it.  The advanced metrics bear this out.  He's terrible at face-offs, and any time he's out on the ice, the Devils are getting out-shot, pinned in their own zone and he just floats around hoping for his wingers to do the dirty work and keep the puck possession in gear.  For anybody who says he should be moved to wing, doesn't realize how awful he is along the boards and the fact that because of his size, he can't win any physical battles.

Deboer can be as stubborn as he wants to be, and maybe a part of it is that he's got no other alternatives.  But his insistence on playing Gionta up on the lines is holding other players down like an anchor, his matching of Gionta against Stamkos tonight was mind-blowing in it's idiocy.  When Josefson gets healthy, Gionta needs to be waived or healthy scratched the rest of the way and he shouldn't be brought back next year either. 

We can do significantly better than having him in the lineup, that's for darn sure.

There's a huge amount of middle ground between being a bad NHL center and being able to match up defensively against Stamkos. Gionta brings good things to the team, hustle and speed, paired with Bernier and Carter it's a very solid line, but not a line that should be sealing a win against the likes of Stamkos and St. Louis.

There's a huge amount of middle ground between being a bad NHL center and being able to match up defensively against Stamkos. Gionta brings good things to the team, hustle and speed, paired with Bernier and Carter it's a very solid line, but not a line that should be sealing a win against the likes of Stamkos and St. Louis.

Agreed. With the options we currently have available I don't think Gio is total shiite, but I do think he's pretty one-dimensional. PDB has been misusing him and that's on PDB not Gio.