GDT: New Jersey at Tampa Bay - 7:30PM

gardenstatepkwy

Like Zubie said, its not the end of the world but this CANNOT become a trend. They need to finish off games and rack up these points before the schedule becomes tough again. We control our destiny so no excuses!

Yeah that's the problem.  They need to start 'winning' some of these games before they feel the effects of not having Kovy against the better teams.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody's expecting a Kovy-less Devils to 'dominate'. But you need to beat teams you're better than at least SOME of the time. Especially when their goalie's giving up garbage goal after garbage goal.

They do beat teams they are better than. Teams lose to worse teams all the time. It's a crappy and disappointing loss, but it's so incredibly negative every game these days.

God, Gionta is just the absolute worst.  He and Salvador should never be on the ice together.  Shocking that a cross-ice pass works against Gionta.

Garon tried to give us the game and we only managed a point - that's tough.  Can we please get Tallinder in and Salvador out?  Oh wait, we named Salvador captain.  Sigh.  Two more years...

Yeah that's the problem.  They need to start 'winning' some of these games before they feel the effects of not having Kovy against the better teams.

Once Poni gets fully acclimated again and Zubrus comes back, we dont have to see Gionta out in the final minute protecting a one goal lead. I know everyone hates Josefson but he is 30x better than him

Edit- Yes, I am aware he is concussed

Edited by SMantzas

And I am sorry but I see no difference at even strength without Kovy. I love the guy but he has been a black hole at even strength this year. Of course the special teams miss him but the offense looks the same and players are taking his minutes and are doing just fine. Hopefully when he returns everyone will be healthy and we can roll 4 very good lines. A team with a fully rested Zubrus and Kovalchuk will be really good. I am also done with Gionta, I love his work ethic but I hope Josefson can come back after his injury. If Josefson doesnt impress on that line then put Gionta back. Clarkson is also not doing good lately, ideally we want him on the third line when we have more depth, I would love to see what Dags can do with Elias and Zajac.

Zubrus Loktionov Kovalchuk

Elias Zajac D'agostini

Ponikarovsky Henrique Clarkson

Carter Josefson Bernier

EDIT: I like what I saw from D'agostini tonight, he is a good player when he has the puck with speed.

It is not the end of the world. Lets all just calm down.

Edited by Zubie#8

They do beat teams they are better than. Teams lose to worse teams all the time. It's a crappy and disappointing loss, but it's so incredibly negative every game these days.

Just off the top of my head...Winnipeg twice, Buffalo, Tampa twice, hell even the Ottawa game on President's Day when they were still reeling from the injuries and their win against us got them going.  That's a LOT of games they haven't won against teams they're better than.  I'm not even counting the darn Islander games cause that's a quasi-rivalry.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Once Poni gets fully acclimated again and Zubrus comes back, we dont have to see Gionta out in the final minute protecting a one goal lead. I know everyone hates Josefson but he is 30x better than him

Edit- Yes, I am aware he is concussed

We have Travis Zajac and Adam Henrique on the team, with responsible defensive forwards up the wazoo and we're still seeing Gionta as the 'shutdown' line, having him sprawl all over the place trying to make a diving pokecheck deep in the opposition zone getting himself way out of position to start that last rush.

We have Travis Zajac and Adam Henrique on the team, with responsible defensive forwards up the wazoo and we're still seeing Gionta as the 'shutdown' line, having him sprawl all over the place trying to make a diving pokecheck deep in the opposition zone getting himself way out of position to start that last rush.

That was almost as facepalm worthy as him letting the cross ice pass go through. I know we have Zajac and Henrique but Deboer seems to have a hard on for Gionta. Hopefully he'll pass him over when we have more options

This is what I talk about when I talk about when players play over their heads coaches and GMs make mistakes in evaluating them.  Salvador also had a horrendous game.  Zidlicky wasn't much better but the Devils coaches seem to have him playing rover now that Kovalchuk's gone.

I can't kill DeBoer for having Gionta on the ice for the last shift - he didn't have much choice.  My problem is keeping together that line - Ponikarovsky should go in Henrique's spot, and Henrique should move down and play with Carter and Bernier.

Edited by Triumph

This is what I talk about when I talk about when players play over their heads coaches and GMs make mistakes in evaluating them.  Salvador also had a horrendous game.  Zidlicky wasn't much better but the Devils coaches seem to have him playing rover now that Kovalchuk's gone.

I can't kill DeBoer for having Gionta on the ice for the last shift - he didn't have much choice.  My problem is keeping together that line - Ponikarovsky should go in Henrique's spot, and Henrique should move down and play with Carter and Bernier.

Yeah, I was at a point in the game where I didn't want Harold and Volch to play another shift for the rest of the game, and then I realized that meant Sal would play more and Zids would get huge 5 on 5 minutes.   That was pretty much a "fvck this" moment.

Edited by maxpower

If Tallinder's healthy he should be in the lineup.  He's our second best left side D behind Greene.

I guess, he's nothing spectacular either.    Really we need to get one of these guys out of here just so Pete can't play games with the D.   Fayne comes back in after rotting and he's rusty and slow.    That deck just needs to be swept, fortunately we have 900 prospect defensemen.

But it's going to cost cash to do it and I'm afraid we won't.

It would be nice if this team went on a season ending winning streak like they did in 05-06, but we had a fully talented team back then.

I guess, he's nothing spectacular either.    Really we need to get one of these guys out of here just so Pete can't play games with the D.   Fayne comes back in after rotting and he's rusty and slow.    That deck just needs to be swept, fortunately we have 900 prospect defensemen.

But it's going to cost cash to do it and I'm afraid we won't.

Lou has been asked recently about making moves at the deadline. He gave Lou speak about adding talent. Basically he blew smoke up everyone's ass. He's not going to do squat.

Let's forget about the Rags for a second, Lundqvist may be concussed so who knows what's going on there...Pittsburgh is our best friend now. They have to blow away the Isles tomorrow in regulation, we need to beat Florida...that way the April Fools day game against NYI gives us a chance to go 7 up on the eight seed.

It would be nice if this team went on a season ending winning streak like they did in 05-06, but we had a fully talented team back then.

Funny thing about that comparison is they looked ****ing hopeless before that streak too.  They were barely in a playoff spot after 65 or so games and were losing games to bad teams again after their hot January.

Lou has been asked recently about making moves at the deadline. He gave Lou speak about adding talent. Basically he blew smoke up everyone's ass. He's not going to do squat.

Devils will acquire a top line winger and another top 9 forward soon

I'm guessing one of them will be traded for a bag of pucks.   Unless they're scared of a plague of injuries and Urbom or Gelinas having to play up here.

Let's forget about the Rags for a second, Lundqvist may be concussed so who knows what's going on there...Pittsburgh is our best friend now. They have to blow away the Isles tomorrow in regulation, we need to beat Florida...that way the April Fools day game against NYI gives us a chance to go 7 up on the eight seed.

If Lundqvist is concussed, he's playing through it.   Which is entirely possible because no one is running the team other than Captain Nutjob

I hope GMs take IOUs because we have nothing to offer to bring top line or top 9 anything back.

Kovalchuk and Zubrus. If we can stay afloat without Kovalchuk and Zubrus, we actually have a nice deep forward group

Poni-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Zubrus-Henrique-D'Ago

Carter-JJ-Bernier

Edited by SMantzas