GDT: New Jersey at Tampa Bay - 7:30PM

gardenstatepkwy

Let's forget about the Rags for a second, Lundqvist may be concussed so who knows what's going on there...Pittsburgh is our best friend now. They have to blow away the Isles tomorrow in regulation, we need to beat Florida...that way the April Fools day game against NYI gives us a chance to go 7 up on the eight seed.

I like the way you think.  I'm not sure that scenario plays out since Markstrom worries me (as streaky as he's been), and the Isles usually rise up against the Pens...but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that the best-case scenario happens and we're laughing about this Monday night.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing one of them will be traded for a bag of pucks.   Unless they're scared of a plague of injuries and Urbom or Gelinas having to play up here.

If Lundqvist is concussed, he's playing through it.   Which is entirely possible because no one is running the team other than Captain Nutjob

They can't trade anyone, unless it's Fayne.  Nobody's going to give us anything for Volch or Tallinder at this point, not when teams are so scared of next season's cap they wouldn't even take Jussi Jokinen for 'free'.

They can't trade anyone, unless it's Fayne.  Nobody's going to give us anything for Volch or Tallinder at this point, not when teams are so scared of next season's cap they wouldn't even take Jussi Jokinen for 'free'.

Lou should look into Jokinen. Throw sh!t at the wall and see what sticks.

So you complain that he won't make moves, and then you admit that there aren't any to make. 

I'm not sure what you mean. This was a response to another poster who said we'd get a top 6 and top 9 by which he meant us getting Zubrus and kovy back. My belief has always been that Lou won't do jack sh!t at the trade deadline.

I like the way you think.  I'm not sure that scenario plays out since Markstrom worries me (as streaky as he's been), and the Isles usually rise up against the Pens...but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that the best-case scenario happens and we're laughing about this Monday night.

I'm hoping dirt can start getting shoveled on Carolina since they're down to goalie #3. But if you look at the Isles the rest of the way, they don't have a particularly tough schedule...but on the flip side they're not very good.

I'm not sure what you mean. This was a response to another poster who said we'd get a top 6 and top 9 by which he meant us getting Zubrus and kovy back. My belief has always been that Lou won't do jack sh!t at the trade deadline.

If he won't do anything, and he can't bring a top 6 or a top 9, what are the trades that he won't make? I don't understand what you want him to bring in. 

Eh, it's probably kind of close.   If I can remember what the healthy D lineup was at the end of the season.    But yeah, some of those guys that dressed made our current D look spectacular.

Lukowich, Rafalski, Matvichuk, Martin, Klee and Hale were our defensive lineup Game 4 against the Rangers.  Whitey was hurt by that point.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=260429013

The only real area where this year's team beats the '06 team is the fourth line.  As much as we complain about Gionta, any fourth line we put out pretty much is better than Janssen-Rasmussen-Wiemer lol

If he won't do anything, and he can't bring a top 6 or a top 9, what are the trades that he won't make? I don't understand what you want him to bring in. 

I'm not suggesting he brings anything in. We don't have the expendable talent, assets or picks to bring anything over from another team.

Lukowich, Rafalski, Matvichuk, Martin, Klee and Hale were our defensive lineup Game 4 against the Rangers.  Whitey was hurt by that point.

The only real area where this year's team beats the '06 team is the fourth line.  As much as we complain about Gionta, any fourth line we put out pretty much is better than Janssen-Rasmussen-Wiemer lol

That's a pretty bad D but Rafalski is better than anything we currently have.    Klee was basically just tethered to a goalpost.   Although that would be an improvement for Volch.

More scoring, obviously, but you could fall out of bed and score 20 goals in 05-06

Edited by maxpower

haha, well Rasmussen wasn't too bad. Wiemer was and Janssen was a black hole. But that 2006 team had Elias playing like a guy who would score 100 over 82...as well as Gionta and Gomez (!) having the best seasons of their life. Klee and Hale were pretty awful

Lukowich I contend was underrated

That's a pretty bad D but Rafalski is better than anything we currently have.    Klee was basically just tethered to a goalpost.   Although that would be an improvement for Volch.

More scoring, obviously, but you could fall out of bed and score 20 goals in 05-06

That makes it tough to evaluate - the whole '05/06 scoring curve.

But defensively, the problem with this year's team is I can't really name another player that's playing consistently well besides Greene.  Everyone else has spurts of competence mixed in with spurts of sucking.  In '05/06  Raf and Martin were solid and Matvichuk temporarily found the fountain of youth after they took him out of the locked rehab center.  Lukowich'd fit right in on this defense - spurts of greatness and spurts of awfulness.

Edited by NJDevs4978

haha, well Rasmussen wasn't too bad. Wiemer was and Janssen was a black hole. But that 2006 team had Elias playing like a guy who would score 100 over 82...as well as Gionta and Gomez (!) having the best seasons of their life. Klee and Hale were pretty awful

Lukowich I contend was underrated

Lukowich can go to hell.   LOL.    Stood there and watched the GWG in Game 2 against the 'Canes when he could have take a free penalty.   That was awful and ruined one of the biggest thefts of a playoff game ever, other than that time where the Avs won because the Sharks put the puck in their own net.

These comparisons between the 05-06 team and this team are moot. Tri, completely went off on a tangent with something I never mentioned.

All I said was it would be nice if this team went on a season ending win streak like they did in 05-06.

There's no point in comparing them. They are 2 totally different Devils teams.

Lukowich can go to hell.   LOL.    Stood there and watched the GWG in Game 2 against the 'Canes when he could have take a free penalty.   That was awful and ruined one of the biggest thefts of a playoff game ever, other than that time where the Avs won because the Sharks put the puck in their own net.

The only good thing about the '09 disaster is it practically made you forget about Game 2 in '06, which was just about as bad.

These comparisons between the 05-06 team and this team are moot. Tri, completely went off on a tangent with something I never mentioned.

All I said was it would be nice if this team went on a season ending win streak like they did in 05-06.

There's no point in comparing them. They are 2 totally different Devils teams.

I'm bored and I'm tired of talking about this game.   The sh!ttyness of that game puts this one in perspective a little bit, I guess.   Destroyed for 30-40 minutes, Gomez scores a fluke ass goal from outside the circles with 20 seconds left, and they somehow frigging manage to lose.   All because of Brad Lukowich.

I'm bored and I'm tired of talking about this game.   The sh!ttyness of that game puts this one in perspective a little bit, I guess.   Destroyed for 30-40 minutes, Gomez scores a fluke ass goal from outside the circles with 20 seconds left, and they somehow frigging manage to lose.   All because of Brad Lukowich.

don't forget madden who for some reason decides to win the faceoff back giving Carolina a free dump in instead of going forward with it

Oh, how nostalgia colors our perspective - this team is better.  Matvichuk wasn't good, Klee sucked, Rafalski isn't much better than Zidlicky, and no one's brought up the atrocious line of Parise-Brylin/Kozlov-Marshall that played far too many minutes.  

And Tallinder is better than any of the D on that team save Rafalski and *maybe* Paul Martin.  

I didn't see the game, as I was at my internship tonight. However, I followed along during the 2nd and 3rd periods play for play on my bus ride home. It took every ounce of restraint in my body to not put my fist through the window when I saw that Tampa tied it with 15 seconds left. This game infuriated the living fvck out of me something fierce. Anytime you blow two 2-goal leads- one with 15 fvcking seconds left mind you- to a team that just fired their coach and fvcking blows in the midst of a playoff race, its pretty much unacceptable, injuries or no injuries. From what I was able to ascertain, DeBoer had Gionta out against Stamkos all night. I mean... Huh? And Volchenkov and Harrold can also go fvck themselves too. Tri is right, Tallinder should be back in the minute he gets the green light. What a piece of sh!t loss. They better beat Florida tomorrow or I might have a stroke. This one really hit a nerve. They fvcked away a big point tonight.

Oh, how nostalgia colors our perspective - this team is better.  Matvichuk wasn't good, Klee sucked, Rafalski isn't much better than Zidlicky, and no one's brought up the atrocious line of Parise-Brylin/Kozlov-Marshall that played far too many minutes.  

And Tallinder is better than any of the D on that team save Rafalski and *maybe* Paul Martin.  

Rafalski is a ton better than Zids.   Both ends of the rink.    And I don't think Rafalski is anything spectacular defensively.

Only advantage I would give Zidlicky is that he can score when he plays impromptu forward.