A frustrated fan says so long to the Canucks - Any STHs here walking?

DEV1LDR1VER

Re: Just Drop It

https://www.facebook...480181678699361

Upon the most recent cancellation of NHL games, they've released the following statement (sorry about the ALL-CAPS; that's how they typed it):

THE BOYCOTT IS IN EFFECT.

THE NHL HAS CANCELLED GAMES UP TO, BUT NOT INCLUDING, DECEMBER 30TH.

THE FOLLOWING IS A RUNDOWN OF WHAT THAT MEANS TO US IN TERMS OF HONORING OUR PLEDGE TO BOYCOTT THE 116 TOTAL GAMES CANCELLED AFTER DECEMBER 21ST.

YOUR TEAM’S NUMBER OF CANCELLED GAMES IS LISTED BELOW. HOWEVER, WE SUGGEST YOU USE THE AVERAGE OF ALL TEAMS (4). THIS MEANS THAT IF THEY RETURN ON DECEMBER 31st, YOU WOULD BOYCOTT THE FIRST 4 OF YOUR TEAM’S GAMES.

(THIS WILL CHANGE IF MORE GAMES ARE CANCELLED)

Rangers (2 games) - Bruins (3 games)- Panthers (4 games)- Pittsburgh (3 games) - Flyers (3 games) - Devils (4 games)- Capitals (5 games)- Senators (4 games) - Buffalo (5 games)- Lightning (4 games)- Winnipeg (2 games) - Carolina (5 games) -Maple Leafs (3 games) - Islanders (4 games)- Canadiens (3 games) - Canucks (4 games)- Blues (4 games) - Coyotes (4 games) - Predators (5 games)- Red Wings (4 games)- Blackhawks (4 games)- Sharks (4 games) –Kings (4 games) - Flames (5 games) - Stars (4 games) - Avalanche (4 games) - Wild (4 games) – Ducks (4 games) – Oilers (4 games) - Blue Jackets (4 games)

If a season returns soon how do season ticket holders actually boycott the games? They already have our money for the tickets so not showing up doesn't do anything to them. I don't plan on buying any merch or concessions but I never do that in the first place.

Season ticket holders could always sell their seats for those games.

Yeah, but the Devils get the money from the season ticket holders either way.

The best thing to do would be to call customer service and tell them ahead of time you're not reupping for next season. You might get a better deal for your trouble. If they call your bluff, so to speak, you make good on your threat. You can still get tickets for virtually every game at a reasonable price, and get season tickets for the following season.

Edited by Daniel

That doesn't punish the league though, so really what's the point of doing it out of spite then? Unless you think by you selling the tickets it prevents someone else from buying them off the team, but it isn't always the case. Especially if you're selling on the secondary market, odds are the person buying off there isn't going through the box office anyway.

Yeah, but the Devils get the money from the season ticket holders either way.

The best thing to do would be to call customer service and tell them ahead of time you're not reupping for next season. You might get a better deal for your trouble. If they call your bluff, so to speak, you make good on your threat. You can still get tickets for virtually every game at a reasonable price, and get season tickets for the following season.

That wouldn't help me much since I'd lose tenure 'and' my $22 aisle seats (the best value in the building by far). At worst if I stay annoyed I can just say fvck it and profit selling a few more games, treat it like a business for a while as a symbolic tit for tat since we continually get hit over the head with the business of hockey.

Pretty much the only way sth's can stick it to the team without depriving themselves entirely is by demanding cash refunds for unplayed games and not spending on concessions when they do go.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You can all do what I have done the past 3-4 years and go on the Stubhub plan. Even with fees I have spent a whole lot less on tickets than I would if I was a STH or did a partial plan. As long as you are ok with not getting the other perks and don't really care where you sit, it is actually pretty nice lol.

If the NHL comes back January as expected, is it really THAT big a deal if we miss 3 months of games? Of course maybe the Devils making it to the finals and playing into June changes my mind

In and of itself no, it's more of a cumulative effect. I'm not even middle aged yet and I've been through all three of these. Especially with the audacity to do it again so soon after blowing up a season. Not to mention there were better reasons for the '04 lockout than now.

In and of itself no, it's more of a cumulative effect. I'm not even middle aged yet and I've been through all three of these. Especially with the audacity to do it again so soon after blowing up a season. Not to mention there were better reasons for the '04 lockout than now.

That and the fact that we were told the 04-05 lockout was necessary because it would 'fix' the league which is now apparently broken again.

That wouldn't help me much since I'd lose tenure 'and' my $22 aisle seats (the best value in the building by far). At worst if I stay annoyed I can just say fvck it and profit selling a few more games, treat it like a business for a while as a symbolic tit for tat since we continually get hit over the head with the business of hockey.

Pretty much the only way sth's can stick it to the team without depriving themselves entirely is by demanding cash refunds for unplayed games and not spending on concessions when they do go.

You could have said "stick it to the NHL" yet you said the team, so may I ask why you want to stick it to your Devils because of a lockout perpetuated by other team's owners and vocal players like Crosby/Toews/etc?

You could have said "stick it to the NHL" yet you said the team, so may I ask why you want to stick it to your Devils because of a lockout perpetuated by other team's owners and vocal players like Crosby/Toews/etc?

Or I said team instead of NHL because it was a general across-the-board comment and season ticket/arena money affect individual teams more directly than the league (plus in my prior post I said 'league' anyway, so I really wasn't giving wording much thought one way or the other)...just because I can't stand the people who run the league and don't blame anyone for wanting to send a message - Devils fan or not - no reason to infer that I 'want' to stick it to the Devils myself.

You can have this argument with everyone till the cows come home how it's for the team's greater good that fans don't protest and that the team's not responsible but the fact is there's no other way for the fans to make a statement that's going to affect the league without affecting the team. The league puts fans between a rock and a hard place and this vicious cycle needs to end.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Or I said team instead of NHL because it was a general comment and season ticket and arena money affect the team more directly than the league anyway (plus in my prior post I said 'league')...just because I can't stand the people who run the league and don't blame anyone for wanting to send a message - Devils fan or not - no reason to infer that I 'want' to stick it to the Devils myself.

You're right and I apologize for calling you out. My bad man. I meant it more to call out some fans who actually do seem to have this "Yeah screw the Devils, I'm not ever watching a game or caring about this team again. That'll show the League!" mentality and I just hate the thought of punishing the Devils for a lockout that I really feel they also want to see come to an end

I'm also in agreement that a message has to be sent and I hope the Bruins fans especially do their part to tell their owner to go **** himself. I also like some of the ideas about showing fan solidarity without necessarily depriving ourselves of something that we've loved for years/decades, problem is that the coordination effort is too difficult and you have a lot of American fans who just won't pay attention to anything hockey until this thing ends