MacLean has been fired. Confirmed on NJ.com

thefiestygoat

But finishing up, this is just stuff i noticed from watching the games. I now look forward to reading the thread, getting a 12 pack and watching the game tonight

pretty much a good, non-biased, calm post that reflects my feelings too, and exactly how i am approaching this Islanders game.

It's Xmas eve morning here, and I have a few beers to warm me up at 11am for game time, then moving on to my good friend Jack Daniels depending on how bad we get, but it is a Xmas eve tradition for me the past several years since the Devils have played on the 23rd (USA) time, makes for a good time leading up to Xmas Eve :)

I will be tipping to the boys today in hopes our holiday season can be a smiling one - a small step at a time, winning todays game :)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny that you say this as Nick Kypreos on "Hockey Central" today told Dano during his interview that,

"the firing of Maclean was done only to make one player happy---Ilya Kovalchuk".

This is the same Kypreos that said Clarkson hated it here last year and wanted a trade, a couple months before he signed a three-year extension.

as i've said since the talk of 1st overall picks and tanking has come up, it's just not a good idea. it's a fine idea for a franchise in total rebuild, but that is not this franchise. we have 4 guys in their prime who have shown themselves to be pretty darn good hockey players (parise, zajac, kovalchuk, volchenkov). by the time we'd come out of the 'tank', parise and zajac might both be gone.

There isn't much value in the top 2 picks in this draft anyway. This isn't a draft with franchise players at the top. The 1st and 2nd picks likely won't be worth the close to $4M cap hit on their ELCs. IMO getting a Saad, Murphy, Strome, Armia, Hamilton or Siemens somewhere between 5 and 8 will be just as good as picking first or second overall. I think 5 years from now, the difference between these players will be negligible and the best player may very well end up not being Couturier or Larsson.

This from Fischler:

http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischler/lemaire-era-begins-again-in-newark-1.57492

Lemaire Era Begins (Again) in Newark

Lemaire walks into a dressing room that has suffered from frustration and underachievement, and faces issues with particular players that will pose a challenge. To wit:

* LEADERSHIP: Jamie Langenbrunner is captain, but upset Lemaire in the home stretch last season by beefing about being left home while injured. While some may have minimized the issue, the Devils never were the same team after that. Since opening night, the Devils have lacked pizzazz and jump; the spirit has been missing, badly. The captain is part of that problem.

*GOALTENDING: Martin Brodeur has played well but a notch below his normal high standard. Whether that's a function of a weaker defense -- the Devils have endured injuries to key backliners such as Bryce Salvador -- or an aging ace is something Lemaire will have to discern. He has a solid back-up handy in Johan (Moose) Hedberg.

* DEFENSE: Almost from the start, the backline has been a shambles. Andy Greene, a star under Lemaire, has failed miserably under MacLean. New acquisitions this season -- Henrik Tallinder and Anton Volchenkov -- have not lived up to their notices. Moving the puck out of the Devs zone and into offensive play has been one of the club's weakest points.

There isn't much value in the top 2 picks in this draft anyway. This isn't a draft with franchise players at the top. The 1st and 2nd picks likely won't be worth the close to $4M cap hit on their ELCs. IMO getting a Saad, Murphy, Strome, Armia, Hamilton or Siemens somewhere between 5 and 8 will be just as good as picking first or second overall. I think 5 years from now, the difference between these players will be negligible and the best player may very well end up not being Couturier or Larsson.

i am thoroughly unimpressed with larsson statistically. couturier isn't blowing any doors off. whoever the devils end up with, he should almost certainly stay in whatever league he's in next year. and i know you know that the bonus cushion is off next year.

first off, i got a message from a good friend in montreal around 830 telling me Lemaire was heading to Jersey, by 9, HNIC writers picked up on it, i texted another friend, TG then tweeted about the players only meeting, i almost freaked cause i had bested Єklund (2.3% accurate) and then got a response from taunting him a little bit.

also, i hate to be the only delusional optimist here, but i honestly think this is a christmas miracle and we;re going to make the playoffs, even if its sneaking in, philly style, we're going to make it...

This is hilarious.

I'm officially embarrassed to be a Devils' fan. Absolutely embarrassed.

Lemaire? Hah. Whoever said it is right. Vanderbeek said to Lou "This is your fvcking mess. I wanted XYZ, you wanted MacLean. You clean it up."

Lou needs step down or Vanderbeek needs to step him down. I never thought I'd be saying this, but it's time. This organization has gone so far off the rails since the lockout that I no longer even know what I'm watching and what I'm rooting for.

Lou should have fired himself during that pathetic press conference.

WHERE ARE THE TRADES AND CUTS OF THESE LOSERS WEARING RED? Langenbrunner should have been dealt in the off-season for his bitchfest last year. I've never seen a bigger pansy in a hockey uniform, outside Sean Avery.

Like I suddenly forgot how soft this team was and how they gave up on JL. What makes management think he's going motivate them this time around?

Here comes the line shuffling, even if they're working. There goes Tedenby's progress too....Bergfors part deux. Fvck Lemaire

Are you serious? Bergfors was just not very good at anything other than scoring. He didn't backcheck or play defense at all and he refused to get into the dirty areas and risk being hit or hit someone himself.

Tedenby seems to be a far more well rounded player and is much more adept on defense than Bergfors was. As mentioned by many other, Bergfors is in the doghouse in Atlanta as well for problems he has with the coach. Sounds like this is an issue with Bergfors that he had here and that's why he was gotten rid of.

Tri, i don't understand where finishing last overall impacts next season?

All sorts of ways.

1: The longer the team goes playing terribly, the more likely the players on the team are terrible players.

2: Everyone's trade value goes right into the toilet, gutter, or wherever one's least valued items are thrown.

3: Psychologically, I think it would be healthier for this team to start winning. This team isn't getting broken up, and for the most part, it's a bunch of NHL players on this team - they're not going away.

Tri, i don't understand where finishing last overall impacts next season?

I think it impacts in some ways. Free Agents may not want to come here. Guys with NTCs on other teams that we may vie for may not accept a trade to us because of being perceptibly inept. The fact that we have the most unstable coaching position in all of sports also hurts.

Finishing last doesn't "look good" especially when you look at who is on the roster. Its not a young team and the young guys we do have don't seem to be progressing the way they have on other squads.

I'm looking forward to Jamie leaving and seeing what he has to say after he's been gone. The split will be amicable, but I think the aftermath won't be.