Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Niese off to a nice start through four starts:  25.2 IP, 22 H, 7 ER, 7 BB, 19 K, 2.42 ERA.  The starting pitching has been pretty good (as was expected).  Wheeler's been pretty meh (though not really awful in his starts), and Colon's numbers are bloated by the one awful start, but overall they've kept the Mets in most of the games. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Literally 3 innings. It was terrible. I was in the Promenade (sister got them from a blood drive, so of course they were cheap seats). Couldn't even stand in the concourse area, the wind gusts were worse there.

Think I'm pretty much done getting/accepting tickets for April night games so far in advance. :lol:

lol yeah a night game in April especially can be pretty dicey if you don't have club access.  Fortunately almost all the seats (sans the Promenade corners) have some type of club access.

Yeah, kind of amazing they've done what they've done, especially with all of the guys who've literally done nothing at the plate.  This team has a .294 OB%.  Wright's K-to-BB ratio is terrible so far (23-to-6), and his OB+SLG is pretty poor too, for him (.674, far below his career .885).  He only has three extra-base hits through 21 games.  The Mets as a team have hit just 13 home runs.

The good news is he should improve, as should others.  Granderson can't be THIS bad.

The latest numbers for deGrom, Syndergaard, and Montero...deGrom's was OK, but Syndergaard's and Montero's last starts were not good:

deGrom:  5 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 6 K

Syndergaard:  4 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 3 K  (Syndergaard's control in his last three starts hasn't been great...7 BB in 14 IP.  Can't help but wonder how much of this is PCL-influenced)

Montero:  4 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 6 K 

1st baseman Allan Dykstra (no relation to Lenny) is shredding the PCL right now (1.375 OB+SLG), but will be 27 in May and isn't really considered to be a prospect.  If Duda and Satin both get hurt or falter badly, maybe he gets a look, but the guess here, based on his overall minor-league numbers, is that he might get off to an intriguing start, then disappear.  And though he's shown an ability to draw walks and get on base, he also is a high-K guy.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Amazing...three out of four against the Cards where they didn't hit much (22 hits for the entire series).  12-10 despite an offense that is dead last in OB+SLG (.602), and a GM that was completely useless this offseason. 

Colon will always scare me, due to age and weight, but he's been solid in four out of five starts. 

Hard to think that the Mets will keep this up unless they start hitting soon...they've managed to score a decent amount of runs for a team that doesn't hit, doesn't get on base, and doesn't hit with power (thanks again for nothing Sandy), but it's a credit to their pitching that they've managed a winning record.  Only 27 runs allowed in their last 10 games, and if you take out the 22 runs allowed in the season-opening sweep, and the 14-run disaster against the Angels, they've only allowed 54 runs in the other 18 games.  Not too bad. 

I've noticed this kid Allan Dykstra is just killing it in Vegas...he's an old prospect (26 soon to be 27) seems like a Duda clone. Big, power...will take his walks but K's a lot as well. Does he have a future with the Mets. Is he plan B if Duda falters?

The Mets kept Dykstra in AA for 3 years despite his production at that level and age -- that pretty much tells you all you need to know about what they think of him.

At least he's better than Eddie Kunz.

Edited by nmigliore

I posted the same thing '7', re:  Dykstra...yeah, he's putting up monster stats so far for sure.  Unfortunately, it's Vegas, which means his numbers are likely bloated.  He did put up decent numbers at Binghamton, but spent the better part of three seasons there.  You never hear much about him, in terms of a major-league future.    

The New York Mets did announce on 9/27/13 that first baseman Allan Dykstra and catcher Kevin Plawecki were named the Sterling Minor League Organizational Co-Players of the Year, for whatever that's worth.  He was also the 2013 EAS MVP, but the age issue diminishes that a bit.

He may get a shot if Duda fails or gets hurt...Satin is really a back-up type who has limitations (no power, no speed).  It seems like it's Duda's job to lose for a while though...I think he's going to have to suck badly for at least a month before the Mets would consider giving Dykstra a shot.  But if Dykstra is still lighting it up in late May, people are going to notice it more and more...especially if Duda is struggling.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Pretty good game for Wheeler, but same ol' sh!t with him...110 pitches in 6 IP.  63 strikes and 47 balls. 

David Wright had an extra base hit, which is cause for celebration these days.  Nice to see d'Arnaud get his average over .200 too.  Kinda scary that Quintanilla is the guy you send up to pinch hit for Zack.  Even scarier that he's still here. 

Funny how everyone else comes into Citi and hits bombs while it's like pulling teeth for us to do it.

Everyone knew what the weaknesses were, as far as the lineup went, and the GM chose to do nothing, outside of spending an absurd amount of money on a question mark.  At least the pitching looks like it will keep the Mets in their fair share of games.  The offense should improve to some extent, but I don't think it will be by much.  Wright can't carry a lineup (especially THIS lineup), Murph can't get on base enough, and there isn't anyone else you can point to and expect much from. 

Quintanilla! Hilarious.

Yeah, but you know that guy isn't any good.  Even meh guys get it done sometimes.

Granderson of all people...if this doesn't get him going, nothing will.

Wow did he need that.  That should buy him a little currency from the fans, as long as he doesn't stink tomorrow.

Yeah, but you know that guy isn't any good.  Even meh guys get it done sometimes.

In what way did my post imply he is? It's hilarious because he got a hit. He's probably one of the worst hitters in baseball, bench guys included.

Mets win! Exciting but they did what they needed to do. Losing after blowing the lead in the 8th would've sucked big balls. 

In what way did my post imply he is? It's hilarious because he got a hit. He's probably one of the worst hitters in baseball, bench guys included.

Mets win! Exciting but they did what they needed to do. Losing after blowing the lead in the 8th would've sucked big balls. 

It's a lot better psychologically having a 5-3 homestand to this point as opposed to the 4-4 I already had penned in after the back-to-back bombs.  Still need to win at least one of the two over the weekend, fortunately they miss Fernandez.

Thought you were poking fun at my post that was saying it's pretty much a travesty that he's still on the team. 

Really feels like this team is doing it all with smoke and mirrors, but I'll take it.  Hopefully Passive recognizes that, if he was actually serious about the 90 thing, he will only be able to squeeze so many wins out of this lineup, even with the pitching looking pretty good. 

Funny how everyone else comes into Citi and hits bombs while it's like pulling teeth for us to do it.

Well a lot of it is psychological and reputation. The Marlins also play in a big park but it for some reason doesn't have the reputation of Citi. Citi I believe did mess with Davids head...but only in 2009, and I think it hurt Bay but that kind of decline can't be blamed solely on the ballpark.

Since then they've brought the fences in a bit several times...it now actually plays a lot fairer. Citi is really not the death valley it was in 2009 but the death valley reputation remains. Much like the old "The devils are boring BS"

that said the ball Wright hit in the bottom of the 5th should've been a home run. Wright needs to start hitting some more in general. 1 in 23 games is troubling.

Edited by '7'

Thought you were poking fun at my post that was saying it's pretty much a travesty that he's still on the team. 

Not at all (I didn't even read the newer posts until after the fact). I completely agree it's a travesty he's still here. I ranted about this when they let Turner go and prior to the season when I wanted a bench featuring no "true backup SS." 

Give me someone like Andrew Brown on the bench with no emergency SS any day.

Edited by nmigliore