2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

He was injured, right?

I haven't been able to find a news source but according to a poster on HF he had a heel and knee injury last year which definitely hurt his stock if that was the case. He was one of the youngest for the draft class (just turned 18 this last September) so I guess NHL teams wanted to see him some more given that he has more years of eligibility left.

He was ranked pretty  decently though, Hockey Prospect had him at 103 overall and Central Scouting at 16 for European Skaters. Put up 10 points in 16 games in the Allsvenskan as a 17 year old which is pretty decent and had 16 points in 14 games in Swedish juniors. 5 points in 5 games for Sweden at the U18's too.

Instead the Devils throw a bone to Marty to pick his kid who has zero shot at making the NHL.

The thing with goalies, is that you never know.  I will always say that any goalie capable of stopping 9 out of 10 shots regularly can be a star goalie in this league.  Goalies are next to impossible to scout.

The thing with goalies, is that you never know.  I will always say that any goalie capable of stopping 9 out of 10 shots regularly can be a star goalie in this league.  Goalies are next to impossible to scout.

While this is true, Anthony was a pure nepotism pick. He wasn't ranked by any of the many scouting agencies. The Devils probably could've signed him to a minor league deal as a undrafted free agent in a few years. At least Jeremy may end up getting himself ranked for his draft years at the pace he's going.

No goalie drafted in the last 15 years who finished with a lower than .900 SV% in junior hockey has played a game in the NHL.  

No goalie drafted in the last 15 years who finished with a lower than .900 SV% in junior hockey has played a game in the NHL.  

Which is what I'm saying.  Stopping 9 out of 10 shots is the absolute minimum in order to have any chance.  And you have to be able to do it consistently.

While this is true, Anthony was a pure nepotism pick. He wasn't ranked by any of the many scouting agencies. The Devils probably could've signed him to a minor league deal as a undrafted free agent in a few years. At least Jeremy may end up getting himself ranked for his draft years at the pace he's going.

Wasn't he considered a legit 7th round pick?

"This draft isn't that great" is something I feel I hear just about every year.

They dont say it every year, They were saying last years draft was the deepest draft since 2003. Other than last year though it was usually some good high end talent In the top 10 and then the quality really decreased. From what I've heard this draft is probably the weakest in a while.

NHL Central Scouting just released their Midterm Rankings

North American Skaters

North American Goalies

European Skaters

European Goalies

Future Considerations January Top 30

Hockey Prospect January Top 30

Also you can catch the top CHL prospects on Wednesday night at 10 on NHL Network for the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.

• 2 weeks later...

ISS Top 30 for January

January's Craigslist 1-60 and 61-90

My NHL Draft has put together a consensus top 40 ranking using 6 different sources: McKeen's, Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations, Craig Button, ISS Hockey, and The Hockey News.

Finally, the long awaited Bob McKenzie Midseason Top 50 and honorable mentions which is based on input from NHL scouts and includes a scouting report on the top 30 from Craig Button.

• 2 months later...

Two Mock Drafts from the NHL , just for a bit of fun.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=710932&navid=DL|NHL|home

Scouts in the East and scouts in the West picking prospects for all 30 teams.

The East has the Devils taking Thatcher Demko, G, Boston College (H-EAST)

The West has the Devils taking Dylan Larkin, C, USA U-18 (USHL)

I wonder if the Devils will have an interest in Brendan Lemieux?

• 2 weeks later...

Central Scouting Final Rankings

NA Skaters

NA Goalies

EU Skaters

EU Goalies

Latest NHL.com Mock Drafts

Mike G. Morreale

30 - NJD - Nick Schmaltz, C, Green Bay (USHL)
University of North Dakota recruit can skate with the puck at full speed and make big plays. Has good hockey sense and a sound defensive game; 17 goals, 61 points, 10 power-play goals, four game-winners in 53 games.

Adam Kimelman

30 - NJD - Conner Bleackley, C, Red Deer (WHL)
Good skater with plus shot; led team with 29 goals and 68 points. Being the captain in Red Deer at 17 shows maturity.

Steven Hoffner

30 - NJD - Anton Karlsson, RW, Frolunda Jr. (SWE-JR)
Plays both ends effectively and has strong playmaking ability which would fit in nicely in New Jersey.

Buzzing the Net: CHL Risers and Sliders in NHL Central Scouting Rankings

Future Considerations: April Top 30

Hockey Prospectus: Treff's Top 30

Hockey Prospect: Todd Cordell interview with Brendan Lemieux

Anton Karlsson is an intriguing pick. I've seen him ranked very high among European players. I'm still hoping for Jakub Vrana, though. He has fallen substantially since the early lists, but I think he has a chance to be a really good player.

I've seen Bleackley play a bit. Would love to see him in NJ. He has a great shot.

Edited by PWW

Piece on Thathcher Demko.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712863

Kimmleman was also talking about him on NHL Radio this morning.  If he's the best player available, it would be very tempting to select him, even if Schneider is extended to a long term deal.  You think about the kind of deal Anaheim could have gotten for Gibson, or what you might expect Boston and Tampa could get for Subban and Vasilevski, respectively. 

Since he already has a year in a top college program under his belt, it would seem that he's a better bet than your average goalie draft prospect. 

taking a goalie is just not something the devils can afford to do - you can get them all over the place. as long as they are not marty bad, you can live with an average goalie if you have to as long as you make up for it elsewhere.

these two picks have to be forwards with a pedigree for scoring. this can't be another matteau type player and don't take another defenseman unless you're dealing 2 of the ones we have now for forwards (the kid defensemen i mean).

taking a goalie is just not something the devils can afford to do - you can get them all over the place. as long as they are not marty bad, you can live with an average goalie if you have to as long as you make up for it elsewhere.

these two picks have to be forwards with a pedigree for scoring. this can't be another matteau type player and don't take another defenseman unless you're dealing 2 of the ones we have now for forwards (the kid defensemen i mean).

I'm not a scout, but we're picking 30th in what is supposed to be a weak draft.  Most of the teams drafting before us could also use scorers (every team can), which leads me to believe that there won't be anything great available in that department, especially someone that could be of any use in the next three years.  If Demko continues to play well, he's a much better trade piece than players like Boucher, Matteau would be now, or someone like Josefson when people thought he would be a pretty good player. 

Let me put it this way, right now, I would guess that Vasilevksi, who is positively tearing things up in the KHL as a 19 year old, could probably be the centerpiece in a deal that lands one of Edmonton's young forwards, or even someone like Evander Kane.  You could probably say the same thing about Gibson as well.  Seems a lot less likely that the best forward available at 30 would have that kind of impact. 

I'm not a scout, but we're picking 30th in what is supposed to be a weak draft.  Most of the teams drafting before us could also use scorers (every team can), which leads me to believe that there won't be anything great available in that department, especially someone that could be of any use in the next three years.  If Demko continues to play well, he's a much better trade piece than players like Boucher, Matteau would be now, or someone like Josefson when people thought he would be a pretty good player. 

Let me put it this way, right now, I would guess that Vasilevksi, who is positively tearing things up in the KHL as a 19 year old, could probably be the centerpiece in a deal that lands one of Edmonton's young forwards, or even someone like Evander Kane.  You could probably say the same thing about Gibson as well.  Seems a lot less likely that the best forward available at 30 would have that kind of impact. 

absolutely ZERO chance either of those guys are the centerpiece of a deal for one of EDM's scorers. they could be part of it, i suppose. but edmonton just signed two goalies for two years to see if they hit gold. the kids are going for ready to play defensemen.

absolutely ZERO chance either of those guys are the centerpiece of a deal for one of EDM's scorers. they could be part of it, i suppose. but edmonton just signed two goalies for two years to see if they hit gold. the kids are going for ready to play defensemen.

Gibson is certainly a more valuable trade chip than Larsson is now.  Vasilevski might prove to be, if he isn't there already.  We're always talking about trading Larsson for this or that.  Those scenarios become a lot more realistic if you have a goalie prospect that appears to be a real deal.

Gibson is certainly a more valuable trade chip than Larsson is now.  Vasilevski might prove to be, if he isn't there already.  We're always talking about trading Larsson for this or that.  Those scenarios become a lot more realistic if you have a goalie prospect that appears to be a real deal.

Gibson is basically the best case scenario for Demko. Goalies are generally a crapshoot and we have a young(ish) elite goalie in Schneider.  Assuming CS's extension take him to 2022, I'd rather worry about finding a young netminder in 2018/19. We have basically zero in our prospect pool up front and we need to buy more lottery tickets there, instead of in net

Gibson is basically the best case scenario for Demko. Goalies are generally a crapshoot and we have a young(ish) elite goalie in Schneider.  Assuming CS's extension take him to 2022, I'd rather worry about finding a young netminder in 2018/19. We have basically zero in our prospect pool up front and we need to buy more lottery tickets there, instead of in net

Like I say, I'm not a scout.  But Demko seems to be a much safer bet than your average goaltending draft prospect, considering that he's played very well at the college level as an 18-19 year old. 

Yes we need forwards, but the odds suggest that whatever forward is available will, at best, end up being a top nine kind of forward in 3-4 years.  We were able to get just that at the trade deadline for a lot less with Ruutu.  If we get the best case scenario out of Demko, he could be traded for a top six forward within the same amount of time. 

The other thing that might help is that we're probably picking between 40 and 42.  My guess is that there's not a huge difference between the best forward you could get at 30, and what will be available with the next pick. 

There is no such thing as a safe bet in net in the draft.  And you wildly overestimate how much goalies are worth in trade.  Please name 3 goalies who've been traded for position players that are A: young and B: generally deemed to be pretty good in the last 10 years.