GDT: Devils @ Islanders 3/4/12

Mayday

May I remind everyone that there is an ignore feature for people who really annoy you?

I'm not trying to play mod here. I'm just saying, the ignore feature has made GDT's much more enjoyable for me.

I wish I could hit the +1 button on this post more than once.

I cant believe anyone is debating starting Marty or hedberg...... How can you blame Marty if we lose 1-0? Seriously!? hedberg gets all kinds of offensive support in an easy 5-0 game but Marty gets 0 support...... if marty was losing games 4 or 5-0 I would sit him but he isnt so go with the Hall of famer!

6th place is where i hope we finish anyway. I would rather face florida washington or winnipeg in the 1st round than boston pittsburgh or philadelphia.

Yep this. Home ice be damned, if the Devils can face Washington or Florida in the 1st round I don't think it'll matter much

I cant believe anyone is debating starting Marty or hedberg...... How can you blame Marty if we lose 1-0? Seriously!? hedberg gets all kinds of offensive support in an easy 5-0 game but Marty gets 0 support...... if marty was losing games 4 or 5-0 I would sit him but he isnt so go with the Hall of famer!

+1000. I'm always amazed at how insane some people are after a loss around here. How can you blame Marty for this loss, or the loss to the Rags last week? He's been very good for a long stretch here. If the offense can't score, then you can put Jesus Christ in net and they're still going to lose.

+1000. I'm always amazed at how insane some people are after a loss around here. How can you blame Marty for this loss, or the loss to the Rags last week? He's been very good for a long stretch here. If the offense can't score, then you can put Jesus Christ in net and they're still going to lose.

I think it's less about people blaming Marty, and more about some fans feeling that the team plays better in front of Hedberg, for whatever the reasons. I'm def not in that camp, just clarifying that I don't think this is a bash Marty thing.

I think it's less about people blaming Marty, and more about some fans feeling that the team plays better in front of Hedberg, for whatever the reasons. I'm def not in that camp, just clarifying that I don't think this is a bash Marty thing.

Honestly I was surprised Marty got the start yesterday after Moose got the shutout on Friday. Usually Moose would get it again after that.

I noticed Marty has been playing a lot more after DeBoer yanked him in Calgary. He is even using him in both games for back to backs. It makes me wonder if this is Lou's call again or if Marty said something.

Honestly I was surprised Marty got the start yesterday after Moose got the shutout on Friday. Usually Moose would get it again after that.

I noticed Marty has been playing a lot more after DeBoer yanked him in Calgary. He is even using him in both games for back to backs. It makes me wonder if this is Lou's call again or if Marty said something.

Admittedly, this is the one thing I wish would stop. Marty hasn't played so well that he should be starting both ends of back-to-backs, and Hedberg deserves to get more starts than he does. Marty's played well enough that I don't mind him starting 65%-75% of the time, but sometimes I wonder what Hedberg has to do to get in there just a little more often. Four starts since 1/11 seems a little unfair to both goalies.

Admittedly, this is the one thing I wish would stop. Marty hasn't played so well that he should be starting both ends of back-to-backs, and Hedberg deserves to get more starts than he does. Marty's played well enough that I don't mind him starting 65%-75% of the time, but sometimes I wonder what Hedberg has to do to get in there just a little more often. Four starts since 1/11 seems a little unfair to both goalies.

I wish it would stop too. Marty is not as young as he used to be and if he is going to be our playoff goalie then he should get some rest in down the stretch.

Marty has played pretty damn well I think in the past 2 months and this isn't a knock on him. I just wish Moose can get in there and get rewarded for his efforts with more playing time since he is def capable.

Marty has always played his best when he plays a lot. This season has been further evidence of it. Giving Moose more starts might bust up Marty's mojo.

If it's a choice between being fair and giving Moose more starts, or having your starter playing at his best heading into the playoffs, I'll take the latter. Goalie platoons are nice in the regular season, but come playoff time it's preferable to have one go-to guy playing at his peak.

And if there is truth to the team playing better in front of Moose, the last thing a coach should do is cave in to that. That'd be on the players. They'd need to get their heads out of their collective asses and play at 100% no matter who's in net. That is, if it's true.

Marty has always played his best when he plays a lot. This season has been further evidence of it. Giving Moose more starts might bust up Marty's mojo.

If it's a choice between being fair and giving Moose more starts, or having your starter playing at his best heading into the playoffs, I'll take the latter. Goalie platoons are nice in the regular season, but come playoff time it's preferable to have one go-to guy playing at his peak.

And if there is truth to the team playing better in front of Moose, the last thing a coach should do is cave in to that. That'd be on the players. They'd need to get their heads out of their collective asses and play at 100% no matter who's in net. That is, if it's true.

Exactly. Well put

I never believed that line and honestly I think that is crap.

He might have gotten away with that ten years ago, but he hasn't since the lockout. He needs to play less and be more fresh for the playoffs.

Marty has only played 'one' back to back all season and no travel was involved in that one.

100% accurate on both counts...

The rules haven't changed. The only reason Moose played more early was Marty got hurt for a couple weeks, plus there were a lot more back to backs in the first half.

I honestly think DeBoer played Marty in the back to back last week to get him stretched out for the playoffs, in case of a back to back there or a long OT game. But I'd be surprised if Moose didn't play in the others, especially with the totality of this month's schedule.

The rules haven't changed. The only reason Moose played more early was Marty got hurt for a couple weeks, plus there were a lot more back to backs in the first half.

I honestly think DeBoer played Marty in the back to back last week to get him stretched out for the playoffs, in case of a back to back there or a long OT game. But I'd be surprised if Moose didn't play in the others, especially with the totality of this month's schedule.

I honestly can only remember maybe once a back to back in the playoffs that the Devils have played in the last 10 years or so. I might be wrong on this but back to backs in the playoffs are pretty rare.

We have 17 games this crazy month. Plenty of games for Marty to stretch as well as Moose to get a few games in.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with Marty getting the majority of the starts...I'm not talking 50-50 platoon. And Marty's save% over his last 5 is .875. Not saying he's solely responsible for that...just saying I don't see the harm in Hedberg getting 4-5 starts down the stretch...especially with the schedule being so compressed. I don't think that would hurt Marty's game.

• Like 1

I never believed that line and honestly I think that is crap.

He might have gotten away with that ten years ago, but he hasn't since the lockout. He needs to play less and be more fresh for the playoffs.

I agree he needs to play less games to be fresher for the playoffs, but you can't deny that he was pretty good in the only back end of a back-to-back that he played in so far this year. He certainly wasn't the reason we lost to the Rangers, or yesterday to the Isles.

I think DeBoer gave Marty a lot of rest to start the season, and is now trying to get him primed for the playoffs by giving him a larger workload. Moose will play down the stretch, but it will likely be, at most, 4 or 5 games.

I agree he needs to play less games to be fresher for the playoffs, but you can't deny that he was pretty good in the only back end of a back-to-back that he played in so far this year. He certainly wasn't the reason we lost to the Rangers, or yesterday to the Isles.

I think DeBoer gave Marty a lot of rest to start the season, and is now trying to get him primed for the playoffs by giving him a larger workload. Moose will play down the stretch, but it will likely be, at most, 4 or 5 games.

I agree Marty has been playing very well in the last couple of months and his play is not the reason why I would like for him to sit more games down the stretch. I just rather him be fresher.

Honestly, I will be shocked if Moose gets 4 or 5 games for the rest of the season. I think it will more likely be 1-3 which is too little.

Two back to backs plus one miscellaneous start in the final week is about what I'm thinking too. So I'd say three more Moose sightings.

That's what I'm thinking.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Moose's remaining starts coming Saturday in Long Island, on the 20th in Ottawa and maybe one of the three April games (two home games bookending a trip to Detroit).

The Devils have a lot of games in March, but the travel schedule really isn't all that bad. Three games split between Long Island, Manhattan and Philly, then three in Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Raleigh before that April trip to Detroit. The case could be made travel-wise that the Devils only have four true road games left for the rest of the year. I could see that being a factor in how often the Moose is set loose.