Devils Sign Steve Bernier

njdevil26

I really hope there are plans for him to have a permanent spot next year in NJ. (Zharkov)

And I seriously think that losing him on waivers is keeping NJ from bringing him up. He'll probably need to be in a place where he'll stay if he's ever going to play in New Jersey again. That is, if I have the waiver rules right which I likely don't.

Those of you who aren't happy about this are crazy. When we have a healthy lineup, Bernier is as good a 4th line RW as you'll find in the NHL. He's only 26 and he's shown he's capable of putting up a fair number of goals and assists in this league. For $550k, you'll never find a better bottom-3 guy.

I really hope there are plans for him to have a permanent spot next year in NJ. (Zharkov)

And I seriously think that losing him on waivers is keeping NJ from bringing him up. He'll probably need to be in a place where he'll stay if he's ever going to play in New Jersey again. That is, if I have the waiver rules right which I likely don't.

As of now, he doesn't have to clear waivers.

Edited by Amberite

Those of you who aren't happy about this are crazy. When we have a healthy lineup, Bernier is as good a 4th line RW as you'll find in the NHL. He's only 26 and he's shown he's capable of putting up a fair number of goals and assists in this league. For $550k, you'll never find a better bottom-3 guy.

If its so slam dunk that he's a great 4th line guy then why did he have trouble even getting invited to an NHL training camp? Then, once invited, he failed to win an NHL contract due to not playing well.

I think Bernier has recently shown he is capable of not putting up goals or assists due to his capability of not having his effort show up.

Bernier has six points in 17 AHL games. If he was a 'proven' NHL guy he would have gotten an NHL contract in the offseason.

He'd better be worth it cause now we're maxed out at 50 contracts. If Lou wants to make a deal at the deadline, he's got to trade a guy to do it.

Bernier has six points in 17 AHL games. If he was a 'proven' NHL guy he would have gotten an NHL contract in the offseason.

He'd better be worth it cause now we're maxed out at 50 contracts. If Lou wants to make a deal at the deadline, he's got to trade a guy to do it.

Take a look at Bernier's stats. He's been in 385 NHL games and has 159 points in that span. If that isn't a proven NHL player, I don't know what is. Show me any 4th line player in the NHL who has those kinds of stats and is 26. Maybe there are 1 or 2 that are not coming to me off the top of my head, but it doesn't matter. The point is that Bernier instantly makes the 4th line much better.

Take a look at Bernier's stats. He's been in 385 NHL games and has 159 points in that span. If that isn't a proven NHL player, I don't know what is. Show me any 4th line player in the NHL who has those kinds of stats and is 26. Maybe there are 1 or 2 that are not coming to me off the top of my head, but it doesn't matter. The point is that Bernier instantly makes the 4th line much better.

He had a lot of top six time earlier in his career because of his draft position and he still never distinguished himself. Maybe he can reinvent himself at this point, but he wasn't exactly great last year playing for DeBoer in a similar role.

Lets hope Tedenby will be ready for the 3rd line after 30 games in AHL to get his confidence back.

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk

Sykora-Elias-Zubrus

Tedenby-Zajac-Clarkson

Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Bernier

That is a playoff group up front.

Why are you putting Ponikarovsky in a 4th line role and Tedenby in a 3rd line role?

• Like 2

Has the potential to be a great addition to the lineup. In my perfect world:

Parise - Henrique - Zubrus

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Clarkson

Ponikarovsky - Elias - Sykora

Zharkov - Josefson - Bernier

Four solid lines. If the D could pull together the Devils have no reason to not make some noise at the dance.

Tedenby has shown to work well with Clarkson so a degree.

Good thing you added "to a degree." I think Teddy has two nice assists on Clarkson goals and that's it. Clarkson plays well with NO ONE. He can't pass, skate, or play with his head up. He has 16 goals and 6 assists and does not play well with others. How many guys like that have long and productive careers?

Good thing you added "to a degree." I think Teddy has two nice assists on Clarkson goals and that's it. Clarkson plays well with NO ONE. He can't pass, skate, or play with his head up. He has 16 goals and 6 assists and does not play well with others. How many guys like that have long and productive careers?

The rolston-shanahan-clarkson line had good chemistry