The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

everyone is all pissed off about the likes of having to keep both sal and volch.. can you imagine if lou finds a way to dump both of them oh my god it will be like our glory day around here.. ahh straight day dreamin' with those thoughts..

Lou won't dump Salvador. Langenbrunner was a different situation with his discontent.

atleast were only stuck with him for another year.. i couldnt imagine he would re sign him to another year after this current contract..his presence just is not needed in any way on the team.. if he can atleast dump off volch it would be nice ... maybe he has a way to trade away volch and then be able to re sign fayne to a fair deal.

Lou won't dump Salvador. Langenbrunner was a different situation with his discontent.

I think you're right. Lou has also stated that he may not use the buyout. I wont be shocked to see us lose Fayne and keep both Sal and Volch. I think it's a real possibility.

It could be possible that Lou is also trying to work out a deal with Buffalo so Buffalo can get to the cap floor. They're 16 million below with 15 players on the roster. They don't figure to go after any big free agents, and are in full tank mode for this coming season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. Heck, any of the bottom 4 salary teams would make sense. 

With buffalo buying out erhoff - they have to trade for contracts. Murray has said he'll take contracts with draft picks.

Hey Sal, enjoy western New York.

Just posted a McKenzie tweet about this in the other thread- this is screaming Lou's name loudly.

With buffalo buying out erhoff - they have to trade for contracts. Murray has said he'll take contracts with draft picks.

Hey Sal, enjoy western New York.

It's not going to happen unfortunately.  I think Lou just believes Sal is a good, and perhaps very good player.  Volchenkov has the NTC.  And we don't need additional cap space than is already there to give Brian Gionta 4 years/$16 million. 

It's not going to happen unfortunately.  I think Lou just believes Sal is a good, and perhaps very good player.  Volchenkov has the NTC.  And we don't need additional cap space than is already there to give Brian Gionta 4 years/$16 million. 

Lou decided to walk away from Gionta 5 years ago because he wouldn't pay him 5/$25, but now he'd feel comfortable giving him years and $$$?

Edited by devilsrule33

Lou decided to walk away from Gionta 5 years because he wouldn't pay him 5/$25, but now he'd feel comfortable giving him years and $$$?

Well the cap is higher now.  And he said he wants to address the lack of scoring.  Gio also proved to be a leader capable of carrying his team to the conference finals.

Lou isn't ever going to create a list of defensmen that looks good on paper because he slots players in certain roles. If you buy out Salvador and Volchenkov than you have Greene, Zidlicky, Merril and Fayne playing PK. These guys are speciality players for the PK and it seems Lou values a strong PK over certain weaknesses 5 on 5.

Lou isn't ever going to create a list of defensmen that looks good on paper because he slots players in certain roles. If you buy out Salvador and Volchenkov than you have Greene, Zidlicky, Merril and Fayne playing PK. These guys are speciality players for the PK and it seems Lou values a strong PK over certain weaknesses 5 on 5.

I don't think anyone is asking Lou to get rid of Sal and Volch, but one should go.

I don't think anyone is asking Lou to get rid of Sal and Volch, but one should go.

Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill and Zidlicky are all most likely poor on the PK. With Fayne  likely cashing out that leaves Greene and Salvador/Volchekov to kill penalties. 

Greene - Merrill

Volchekov/Gelinas - Larsson

Salvador-ZIdlicky

THis is most likely how NJ opens the season.

Gionta's also going to be 35 going into next season, he's not getting a 4-year deal from ANYone, come on.

Although I like him and I hope he's 100%, Clowe, was coming off recent postseason injuries, a history of concussions and received 5 for 5.

I don't think anything is impossible with Lou.

Five years was dumb but I'm sure others were offering at least 3-4.  Clowe also has a specific skillset we needed, and gets ridiculously overpaid in FA because there aren't many physical players who score goals (see: Clarkson, David).

I think Clowe is awesome and I like what he brings, but signing him based on his injury history was incredibly risky.

the clowe signing is without a doubt going to wind up being a bad contract hes not going to be able to stay healthy.. if he cant stay healthy and play his tough enforcer type physical game than he is useless to us..enough with damaged scraps for goods that we always wind up with..

the clowe signing is without a doubt going to wind up being a bad contract hes not going to be able to stay healthy.. if he cant stay healthy and play his tough enforcer type physical game than he is useless to us..enough with damaged scraps for goods that we always wind up with..

Clowe is not an enforcer. Not anymore. He can play that game, but his game is going to change to just being able to clear room for other players and being able to pass well.  He looked good when he wasn't hurt and pretty much what you can expect from him when he's not playing with Joe Thornton or Pavelski.  Still not the best contract, but he was a guy like Clarkson, but better than Clarkson, who we paid less for than Clarkson.  So I don't know, but I still think Clowe passes for a good hockey player. 

Edited by RizzMB30