Plan B: Now What?

smelly

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou: "We have some outstanding young players here. Some who have outstanding potential. We'll go to Plan B now."

Sounds like plan B is roll with the team we have?

Lamoriello would not say what Plan B is, either trades or free agency.

Chere

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Give Teddy 1 more chance, try to sign a winger who can put in some pucks playing with Kovy and Zajac, which shouldn't be too difficult considering Palmieri had a stretch where HE was burying the puck with those guys. If/when that isn't, trade one of our many dmen to a team with too many forwards and not enough d. Save money to throw as much as we can at Zajac. We have a superstar in Kovy, all stars in Elias and Zajac, and a budding star in Henrique. If the role players do their jobs, we'll have no trouble making the playoffs, and I'd rather see how good Henrique can be before we do something stupid.

We're likely not going to trade for any of the high profile names. We're likely not going to sign Semin or Doan.

If we throw out signings beyond Sykora or "big" trade acquisitions, there's one thing I want done before the season starts:

An extension for Travis Zajac.

Ales Hemsky? Andrei Kostitsyn?

I think Hemsky is one of the more logical possibilities. Edmonton will probably give him us for a low price too. I could see Hemsky coming here straight up for Greene or even a prospect (Gelinas + mid round pick). His game has dropped off the last few years + he's due $5M per for the next two seasons. The change of scenery could also do him good. At this point, I'm not against it because we have the cap room and we could really use another player. I just don't know how effective he would be for us. I'd also be curious to see what his relationship is like with the Czechs on our team as well. It may be a good landing spot for him to revitalize. The production drop off is obviously due to his injuries and the fact Edmonton has sucked since Pronger left as well. It really depends on how healthy he is more than anything for me.

I don't think Lou will go for Kostitsyn, but Id not be against him either. He got suspended in Nashville before Game 3 of this year's playoffs and you gotta think it was something fairly serious for that to happen. He'd be cheaper than Hemsky and wouldnt cost us anything in trade.

Huselius is also a cheap option, but hes coming off a big injury. If hed come cheap, Id definitely be game for a low risk thing.

Edited by ghdi

Maybe Hoeffel and/or Whitney get a chance this season. Maybe Darcy Zajac. Maybe Harrold permanently to a wing especially considering our excess of defense.

Looks like Albany is pretty much our only option outside of a trade.

I agree that we don't have the assets to spare for a top line winger via trade. I also don't think we land any of the top UFA's (not that there's much left to choose from).

Kovy-Zajac-Henrique

Zubs-Elias-Sykora

Harrold-Josefson-Clarkson

Gionta-Carter-Bernier

Rotation:

Hoeffel

Whitney

D. Zajac

Maybe Hoeffel and/or Whitney get a chance this season. Maybe Darcy Zajac. Maybe Harrold permanently to a wing especially considering our excess of defense.

Looks like Albany is pretty much our only option outside of a trade.

I agree that we don't have the assets to spare for a top line winger via trade. I also don't think we land any of the top UFA's (not that there's much left to choose from).

Kovy-Zajac-Henrique

Zubs-Elias-Sykora

Harrold-Josefson-Clarkson

Gionta-Carter-Bernier

Rotation:

Hoeffel

Whitney

D. Zajac

I would be willing to bet that if we don't sign a remaining UFA forward or pull off a trade before the season begins, Tedenby will be on the squad come opening day. I dont think any of the other guys you mentioned will be. I also don't see Harrold playing a lot of wing after his defensive performance during the playoffs unless it was an injury situation.

I would be willing to bet that if we don't sign a remaining UFA forward or pull off a trade before the season begins, Tedenby will be on the squad come opening day. I dont think any of the other guys you mentioned will be. I also don't see Harrold playing a lot of wing after his defensive performance during the playoffs unless it was an injury situation.

Yeah I think Hoeffel is too young and Whitney is too small. Darcy Zajac might get a chance just to entice Travis to sign a long term deal. But I'm not sure about Tedenby. He was end down to Albany because of his lazy play and he didn't do anything to raise his stock while down there. He might get some playing time during the preseason but I'm not gonna hold my breath that he makes the team.

If we are able to trade any combination of our starting defenders (Tallinder, Greene, Volchenkov) with one of our defensive prospect (Urbom, Burlon, Gelinas) with maybe a 2nd or 3rd or even Tedenby, we might be able to land Gagner or Hemsky from Edmonton. Maybe throw in Omark somehow. I just don't see us landing anything of great value by trade. I'd rather go for Gagner and Omark than Hemsky if possible. Hemsky is too old and fragile for us to be parting with anything significant.

Yeah I think Hoeffel is too young and Whitney is too small. Darcy Zajac might get a chance just to entice Travis to sign a long term deal. But I'm not sure about Tedenby. He was end down to Albany because of his lazy play and he didn't do anything to raise his stock while down there. He might get some playing time during the preseason but I'm not gonna hold my breath that he makes the team.

If we are able to trade any combination of our starting defenders (Tallinder, Greene, Volchenkov) with one of our defensive prospect (Urbom, Burlon, Gelinas) with maybe a 2nd or 3rd or even Tedenby, we might be able to land Gagner or Hemsky from Edmonton. Maybe throw in Omark somehow. I just don't see us landing anything of great value by trade. I'd rather go for Gagner and Omark than Hemsky if possible. Hemsky is too old and fragile for us to be parting with anything significant.

Gagner is going to cost too much, but Id also like him. There will be way too much competition if they even put him on the market and I dont think we could compete with many teams to trade for him.

Hemsky we can get for cheap, which is the reason Id be for it. The Oilers will not get much for him because of his contract and they know it + he really needs a new place. Omark's barely been up to a bad Oilers team for a reason and I'm not sold on him, but we probably could get him similarly. Hell, I could see a situation where they package both of those guys to us and it would be a palatable trade back.

I agree about Tedenby, but I also see the Bergfors situation with him. We start the season with him in an effort to showcase him and who knows, he may get a spark lit under his ass and perform to his supposed first round abilities, if not hopefully we can use him as a trade piece. He's also got the most big club experience of any other prospect forward on the team.

Gagner is going to cost too much, but Id also like him. There will be way too much competition if they even put him on the market and I dont think we could compete with many teams to trade for him.

Hemsky we can get for cheap, which is the reason Id be for it. The Oilers will not get much for him because of his contract and they know it + he really needs a new place. Omark's barely been up to a bad Oilers team for a reason and I'm not sold on him, but we probably could get him similarly. Hell, I could see a situation where they package both of those guys to us and it would be a palatable trade back.

I agree about Tedenby, but I also see the Bergfors situation with him. We start the season with him in an effort to showcase him and who knows, he may get a spark lit under his ass and perform to his supposed first round abilities, if not hopefully we can use him as a trade piece. He's also got the most big club experience of any other prospect forward on the team.

I actually didn't realize Hemsky is only 28. I thought he was in his mid 30's. I'm warming up to the idea of Hemsky even though he is very injury prone.

As for Omark, he's just like Tedenby but in an Oilers jersey. Maybe a change of environment would be good for both of them.

Tallinder, Tedenby, Urbom, 2nd

for

Hemsky, Omark