Brodeur should retire immediately and spare himself the embarrassment

'7'

Yes I know this is the worst offensive team in NHL history that will likely break the 1998 Tampa Bay Lightning record for goal scoring futility (it will be a miracle if they even score 150 total goals this year)

But Brodeur is just a disgrace right now. He's aged 10 years in 1 offseason. You saw bits and pieces of it in past seasons. He'd begin to tire and go into all out choke mode during the playoffs. Letting in an incalculable amount of softies at bad times. It's all come crashing down now...he is perhaps the worst #1 starter in the NHL

This year he can't do anything. He is being beaten from all angles, all distances. His reflexes are shot, his recovery is poor(takes him forever to get up), his awareness and puck location nonexistent. The glove hand is gone. Yea he's getting no help offensively but you just can't dismiss the garbage goaltending we've been getting from him.

As I type this the Devils are losing 3-0 to the mighty toronto maple leafs, and after getting shelled by the 1983 Islanders 5-1...Brodeur has let up 8 goals in his last 25 shots. He is vulnerable from EVERYWHERE. Literally every mistake ends up in our net, and that can't happen.

Our next game will be a loss against the Rangers on Wed. The only question is will it be a 2-0 loss with Hedberg in net or a 8-0 loss with Brodeur(on 19 soft shots I'm sure)

Edited by '7'

I understand where your coming from. I am a huge Marty fan. Honestly, I dont think he will be retiring this season only because of his contract going to 2012.

Maybe, hell retire at the end of next season and I would LOVE to see him come back and work as the goaltending coach for the Devils.

I think that would be a great job and also allow him to stay within the organization and around hockey.

Yes I know this is the worst offensive team in NHL history that will likely break the 1998 Tampa Bay Lightning record for goal scoring futility (it will be a miracle if they even score 150 total goals this year)

But Brodeur is just a disgrace right now. He's aged 10 years in 1 offseason. You saw bits and pieces of it in past seasons. He'd begin to tire and go into all out choke mode during the playoffs. Letting in an incalculable amount of softies at bad times. It's all come crashing down now...he is perhaps the worst #1 starter in the NHL

This year he can't do anything. He is being beaten from all angles, all distances. His reflexes are shot, his recovery is poor(takes him forever to get up), his awareness and puck location nonexistent. The glove hand is gone. Yea he's getting no help offensively but you just can't dismiss the garbage goaltending we've been getting from him.

As I type this the Devils are losing 3-0 to the mighty toronto maple leafs, and after getting shelled by the 1983 Islanders 5-1...Brodeur has let up 8 goals in his last 25 shots. He is vulnerable from EVERYWHERE. Literally every mistake ends up in our net, and that can't happen.

Our next game will be a loss against the Rangers on Wed. The only question is will it be a 2-0 loss with Hedberg in net or a 8-0 loss with Brodeur(on 19 soft shots I'm sure)

Look, the whole team is suffering - we see this.

Marty is slowing - we see this. Did you honestly expect him to put the team on his back at this age?

But was the piss/moan/crybaby bitch/thread necessary?

There is a laundry list of problems here contributing:

1. Zajac is lost without Parise - he's not even sure how to play with other players

2. Andy Greene has no idea where he is or what he's doing

3. David Clarkson can't find the plus side of a hockey game or stay upright

4. Every team in the NHL, AHL, or any other league know that our point defensemen cannot hit a net or hold a zone

.... the list goes on....

Everything you said is exactly how I have felt this entire season, 7. Although I have to admit, as much as I was on his case in the beginning of the season, I would never have imagined such a crazy decline (your observation of him aging 10 years in one offseason is 100% correct). I wince at every shot that goes his way. I almost expect every shot against him to go in. It seems every road game we hear the "Marrrty... Marrrty..." chants.

He definitely needs to take a back seat now, if not all out retire while he has some dignity left. Especially when the team is this bad - if he continues on this road, the "Brodeur was a product of the team in front of him" fanatics (and there are many of them) will never stop heckling him.

Edited by Amberite

The first one was a horrible turnover. The 2nd one, neither of the d-man cleared the leafs out of the crease and they got the rebound. I'll give you the 3rd goal.

How many goals did we score though? 0 yet again so far. I believe we have scored 1 goal in each of the last 5 of 6 games as well. We would have had the same results with anyone in net.

The first one was a horrible turnover. The 2nd one, neither of the d-man cleared the leafs out of the crease and they got the rebound. I'll give you the 3rd goal.

How many goals did we score though? 0 yet again so far. I believe we have scored 1 goal in each of the last 5 of 6 games as well. We would have had the same results with anyone in net.

Aside from real fluffers and clearly visible blue-line shots (which even these he lets in with some regularity these days), you can make a case for why a goalie couldn't have stopped ANY shot - that doesn't mean that they're not bad goals.

The 1st goal was obviously a terrible turnover. But Brodeur barely reacted to it, and he didn't challenge the shooter AT ALL. A few years ago Brodeur would have glided several feet towards the shooter and taken away most of the angles. Today he stood deep in his crease, barely moved, and wasn't even CLOSE to getting his glove on the shot.

The 2nd goal is iffy, but still - Brodeur didn't react to the puck. It's possible he didn't see it at all, but this is still a type of goal that I see him getting beat on pretty often these days whereas they were very rare a few years ago. This also has to do with his rebound control, which is a pale shadow of what it used to be. Remember the Isles game a few days ago where he directed a rebound right to a rushing winger? Yea...

The 3rd goal, no comment needed.

Edited by Amberite

Is it just me or is Marty falling back on the butterfly way more than he ever has in the past? It seems like every time he gets beat up high, he's on his knees, arms at his side with the puck whizzing over his shoulder.

He looks timid to me, and that isn't how he's achieved the success he's had in his career. His mojo seems to be gone, and it's been excruciating to watch.

Please search and find the last time Marty "stole" a game for us? And, since that time will likely be in 2009, fvck yes I'm blaming this game on Marty. And the islanders game. I really, really, really can't wait until someone else is between the pipes. I love him to death, but he's fat slow and careless.

He has not stole a game in awhile. But to "steal" a game this season pretty much means pitching a shutout behind a D- defense. How can you blame this game on Marty?!?! We scored *1* goal. It would have taken a shutout for us to win this game tonight, just like many games this season. You cannot ask a goaltender to have to throw shutouts every night for your team to win.

The whole team sucks....but stop defending him like its eveyone but him....he sucks also.His fvcking head and pride are to big to take a back seat.

I am not defending his play. He has been awful lately. But as I said before, he is not the cause of this teams suckiness right now. No goaltender in the league would put up good numbers behind this swiss cheese defense and our inability to score....

I think it's the whole thing. Lousy offense, lousy defense, lousy goaltending.

+1.

You forgot to mention the lousy ownership and lousy management as well. but marty is part of the problem without a question, so since Marty can't fix the other problems, it would be nice to see him retire as a Devil instead of absorbing loss after loss. If he retires sooner rather than later, it benefits both parties as the team can have more cap room where marty can enjoy himself rather than being scored.

+1.

You forgot to mention the lousy ownership and lousy management as well. but marty is part of the problem without a question, so since Marty can't fix the other problems, it would be nice to see him retire as a Devil instead of absorbing loss after loss. If he retires sooner rather than later, it benefits both parties as the team can have more cap room where marty can enjoy himself rather than being scored.

Really? Terrible management and ownership?

How many franchises have self-imposed caps?

A year ago half this board complained that Lou never makes any moves. He went "all in" got the best offensive player available - and KEPT him - for a LOW cap hit.

He gambled, and lost in the short term - big deal.

Sometimes you roll the dice and crap out - even in NJ - it happens. Lou and JVB are not exempt.

This one is squarely on the players.

You want BAD ownership and BAD management look over on the Island where they expect a coach to win and fans to follow a team with:

a.) ZERO financial support

b.) Biggest offseason acquisition was Jurchina

c.) The WORST building in the league with no signs of keeping their team.

I'm not happy with the product on the ice, but to say JVB and LL haven't tried to make things work over the last three years is revisionist history.

BRAND NEW BUILDING

BEST OFFENSIVE UFA AVAILABLE in TEN YEARS

Stop the excuses.

It's the goalie's job to stop the puck (you know once in awhile).

That's what they are paid to do.

I love Marty, but he is destroying my image of him with these performances. It's almost tear-inducing, thats how sad it is becoming.

I can't wait to see who the board blames next week. The suspense is killing me.

Itll be all on Lou. Now that JL is in as coach, if nothing happens itll all fall on Lou for "not changing the coaches soon enough." You watch.... :rolleyes:

Im sticking with my blame....its on the whole team (players).

Itll be all on Lou. Now that JL is in as coach, if nothing happens itll all fall on Lou for "not changing the coaches soon enough." You watch.... :rolleyes:

Im sticking with my blame....its on the whole team (players).

Everybody should have my mindset

I Blame:

Lou- Cap issues/ Not firing or making a move early enough

Mac- Bad Coach

Hedberg- Bad start to season

Fraser- Poor in the gms he played

White- Solid but yet he has those terrible moments

Greene- Lost

Tallinder- Terrible

Zubrus- Inability to finish

Parise- Poor in the gms he played (yes i know he was injured)

Pelley- Good on pk, bad 5 on 5

Mair- Nothing Special

Rolston- Just awful

Sestito- Nothing Special

Langenbrunner- Needs more production

Josefson- Just average in his gms played

Kovalchuk- Inconsistent

Vasyunov- Nothing Special

Zajac- Needs more production

Taormina- Good surprise, few mistakes on D

Tedenby- Good surprise needs to make better decisions with puck, he will be good

Corrente- Awful

Clarkson- Learn how to stay on your feet

Arnott- Inconsistent

Elias- Slow start but picking it up

Volchenkov- Mistakes on D, terrible on the transition

Magnan- Nothing Special

Salmela- Nothing Special

Fayne- Awful mistakes on D

Urbom- Still developing

Brodeur- Make a save

There you go

Edited by Zubie#8

I hate replying to a ridiculous title and a lot of crap by the OP, but I did want to talk about Marty.

Brodeur has played the game different than any other goalie in hockey history. While everyone has copied Roy's butterfly positioning, no one has dared to touch Marty's unique style. What made it work was incredible reflexes and athleticism that he possessed. To help make it work, he wore the smallest equipment. But now, when you lose that athleticism, the style is a very tough one to play and wearing the smaller pads becomes serious problem. We already know for the first time in his career he added something to his pads to cover the five hole.

You look at a guy like Dwayne Roloson chugging along at 41, on a sh!tty team, but playing extremely well. Probably partly because of his butterfly style and equipment. I doubt Marty can redefine his game at this age. We better hope this is just his first big slump of his career and nothing more, because it could get pretty ugly as the season goes on.

Edited by devilsrule33