Brodeur should retire immediately and spare himself the embarrassment

'7'

Exactly. Kovy was the whipping boy, now it's Marty

I don't think its a case of blame this one or that one,its more expecting them to do the job they were hired to do.Kovy sure isn't what we expected of him so far,and Marty has lost a few steps on the way down the staircase.He has done so much for this team and its fans for so long,that it hard to watch him be anything but great.At this point he should be willing to be the back up and help work/teach a young goalie while still getting in some games himself.I really feel that Marty can't and won't ever lead this team to another cup,so its time to work on finding his replacement as a #1 goalie...I think he's having a hard time with the fact that he's not what he once was,some here blame the bad D but Marty has let in so many soft/weak one's that I have lost count,the confidence we fans have always in him is now gone...and its very hard to watch.

I don't think its a case of blame this one or that one,its more expecting them to do the job they were hired to do.Kovy sure isn't what we expected of him so far,and Marty has lost a few steps on the way down the staircase.He has done so much for this team and its fans for so long,that it hard to watch him be anything but great.At this point he should be willing to be the back up and help work/teach a young goalie while still getting in some games himself.I really feel that Marty can't and won't ever lead this team to another cup,so its time to work on finding his replacement as a #1 goalie...I think he's having a hard time with the fact that he's not what he once was,some here blame the bad D but Marty has let in so many soft/weak one's that I have lost count,the confidence we fans have always in him is now gone...and its very hard to watch.

Marty definitely won't be a backup. Also, there is no goalie on the planet that could lead THIS team as is to a Cup....

I hate replying to a ridiculous title and a lot of crap by the OP, but I did want to talk about Marty.

Brodeur has played the game different than any other goalie in hockey history. While everyone has copied Roy's butterfly positioning, no one has dared to touch Marty's unique style. What made it work was incredible reflexes and athleticism that he possessed. To help make it work, he wore the smallest equipment. But now, when you lose that athleticism, the style is a ver tough one to play and wearing the smaller pads becomes s erious problem. We already know for the first time in his career he added something to his pads to cover the five hole.

You look at a guy like Dwayne Roloson chugging along at 41, on a sh!tty team, but playing extremely well. Probably partly because of his butterfly style and equipment. I doubt Marty can't redefine his game at this age. We better hope this is just his first big slump of his career and nothing more, because it could get pretty ugly as the season goes on.

Thank you for actually contributing to the thread, not just making another "Blame Marty" or "How can anyone blame Marty?" post. The guy isn't who he once was, and reflexes, style and equipment all play into it.

Like I said in my earlier post, maybe it's just me, but I've been seeing more butterfly from Marty this season than I'm used to. Maybe he's trying to make a transition in an effort to play more years, since that style is more conducive to a long goaltending career? Maybe he's trying the ol' sit-back-and-take-up-space style because the reflexes ain't what they once were? Whatever the reason, it isn't working. If the reflexes are gone to the point where he can't be his usual challenging self, daring the shooter to beat him before snapping the glove, then he really does need to hang 'em up. If he's trying to change his style, he needs to stop. He's 38. Old dogs don't take kindly to new tricks, especially when they don't have the right equipment for it.

I hate replying to a ridiculous title and a lot of crap by the OP, but I did want to talk about Marty.

Brodeur has played the game different than any other goalie in hockey history. While everyone has copied Roy's butterfly positioning, no one has dared to touch Marty's unique style. What made it work was incredible reflexes and athleticism that he possessed. To help make it work, he wore the smallest equipment. But now, when you lose that athleticism, the style is a ver tough one to play and wearing the smaller pads becomes s erious problem. We already know for the first time in his career he added something to his pads to cover the five hole.

You look at a guy like Dwayne Roloson chugging along at 41, on a sh!tty team, but playing extremely well. Probably partly because of his butterfly style and equipment. I doubt Marty can't redefine his game at this age. We better hope this is just his first big slump of his career and nothing more, because it could get pretty ugly as the season goes on.

I think you are pretty much spot on. But i do think he can adjust his style to become more effective.

I don't have a problem with Devils fans wondering if it might be the beginning of the end for Marty, or taking it a step further and feeling that the end might very well be right now. He's 38 years old and has played a hell of a lot of games...at his age guys can and do indeed lose it seemingly overnight. I hope it's just a slump, but none of us can say for sure if he's done or not.

The only thing that bothers me about some fans is the complete and utter lack of respect and appreciation for what he's done for his career and for this franchise. Yes, it may be coming to a painful end right before our very eyes, but how can what we've seen this year possibly negate everything he did before this season...I'm at a loss on that one. Think about what we've seen since Marty first skated onto the ice for the Devils. More wins and shutouts than any other goalie ever to play in the NHL, and far and away the most wins by a goalie for one team. Much of the reason all of those wins came in a Devil uniform was because he actually dared to think of his team first and took less money to stay, as opposed to trying to set markets for the NHLPA and fellow goaltenders...he actually WANTED to stay in NJ! And look up his numbers through last season...not so much as one season that can really be categorized as an "off year", by anyone's standards. Even the very best have a year or two in their primes where they might not have their typical expected season...not Marty.

You got to see him help his team reach four Stanley Cup Finals, and help to win three of them...which is three more Championships and four more Finals than most teams can say in that same timeframe. No, he wasn't always at his best come playoff time, but he was a huge reason his team got to the playoffs in all but one of his seasons since he became the #1 guy. Some of you who started following the team in the early 90s may not realize that making the playoffs every season isn't a birthright...for all the laughing you might have done when teams like the Flyers, Penguins, Rangers and others were missing the playoffs routinely, did you really think that wouldn't happen to us at some point?

No matter how bad things are right now, and no matter how much Marty's struggling, I think at the very least the guy has earned far respect than I'm seeing him get in these forums.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty has demonstrated that he was and is as good as the defense in front of him. That's why I have always said his personal records belong to the Devils team because he wouldn't have them if the strategy wasn't defense first and they didn't put great defensemen in front of him. That's not saying he wasn't a good goalie because he was.

Marty has demonstrated that he was and is as good as the defense in front of him. That's why I have always said his personal records belong to the Devils team because he wouldn't have them if the strategy wasn't defense first and they didn't put great defensemen in front of him. That's not saying he wasn't a good goalie because he was.

It would pretty safe to say that the Devils' defenses of the last five seasons weren't anything to go crazy about, talent-wise...at least, not on par with the best Devils teams.

Marty's career GAA is now 2.23 and his lifetime save% is .913

Here's his last five seasons:

43-23-7, 2.57, .911

48-23-7, 2.18, .922

44-27-6, 2.17, .920

19-9-3, 2.42, .916

45-25-6, 2.24, .916

Oh BTW, before the lockout Marty had never faced 2000 shots in a season. In the four seasons out of these last five that I have listed (all the ones where he was healthy), he faced 2004 shots or more, yet still put up GAAs not far from his norm and in all but one season put up save%s ABOVE his career number.

So much for that "Marty ain't nothin' without Stevens-Nieds-Rafalski-Dano" argument...

I don't have a problem with Devils fans wondering if it might be the beginning of the end for Marty, or taking it a step further and feeling that the end might very well be right now. He's 38 years old and has played a hell of a lot of games...at his age guys can and do indeed lose it seemingly overnight. I hope it's just a slump, but none of us can say for sure if he's done or not.

The only thing that bothers me about some fans is the complete and utter lack of respect and appreciation for what he's done for his career and for this franchise. Yes, it may be coming to a painful end right before our very eyes, but how can what we've seen this year possibly negate everything he did before this season...I'm at a loss on that one. Think about what we've seen since Marty first skated onto the ice for the Devils. More wins and shutouts than any other goalie ever to play in the NHL, and far and away the most wins by a goalie for one team. Much of the reason all of those wins came in a Devil uniform was because he actually dared to think of his team first and took less money to stay, as opposed to trying to set markets for the NHLPA and fellow goaltenders...he actually WANTED to stay in NJ! And look up his numbers through last season...not so much as one season that can really be categorized as an "off year", by anyone's standards. Even the very best have a year or two in their primes where they might not have their typical expected season...not Marty.

You got to see him help his team reach four Stanley Cup Finals, and help to win three of them...which is three more Championships and four more Finals than most teams can say in that same timeframe. No, he wasn't always at his best come playoff time, but he was a huge reason his team got to the playoffs in all but one of his seasons since he became the #1 guy. Some of you who started following the team in the early 90s may not realize that making the playoffs every season isn't a birthright...for all the laughing you might have done when teams like the Flyers, Penguins, Rangers and others were missing the playoffs routinely, did you really think that wouldn't happen to us at some point?

No matter how bad things are right now, and no matter how much Marty's struggling, I think at the very least the guy has earned far respect than I'm seeing him get in these forums.

I applaud you sir. First realistic post taking all things into consideration. People are blasting Marty like he was a hired gun brought in for THIS season to take us to a Cup. The man is a living legend, and nobody in the history of the Devils has given/or will ever give what he did to this franchise.

It would pretty safe to say that the Devils' defenses of the last five seasons weren't anything to go crazy about, talent-wise...at least, not on par with the best Devils teams.

Marty's career GAA is now 2.23 and his lifetime save% is .913

Here's his last five seasons:

43-23-7, 2.57, .911

48-23-7, 2.18, .922

44-27-6, 2.17, .920

19-9-3, 2.42, .916

45-25-6, 2.24, .916

Oh BTW, before the lockout Marty had never faced 2000 shots in a season. In the four seasons out of these last five that I have listed (all the ones where he was healthy), he faced 2004 shots or more, yet still put up GAAs not far from his norm and in all but one season put up save%s ABOVE his career number.

So much for that "Marty ain't nothin' without Stevens-Nieds-Rafalski-Dano" argument...

ANOTHER Marty myth DEBUNKED! You are on a roll today CR1976 :cheers:

Marty never was a workhorse in terms of making a ton of saves. He just made the big ones. Just like Stevens got into the opponents' heads with his hits, Marty did the same with his saves. He was famous for teasing guys by showing a lot of net on his glove side, then quickly flashing the leather and leaving them shaking their heads. It doesn't seem like that swagger -- or those reflexes -- are there any more.

Another big element of his game was his stickhandling. You couldn't dump-and-chase on Marty the third defenseman. Then the trapezoid came and limited him, but he eventually learned to work around it somewhat. But now his stickhandling just isn't very good anymore. At this point, the trapezoid is almost a blessing.

I'll always rank Marty high on my list of favorite athletes and be thankful for all he's done. I don't blame anything on him as this team's problems extend well beyond the crease. But he just isn't what he once was. I still hope he can turn it around, but at this point I feel like we're just seeing that painful twilight of a hero's career. I can't blame anyone who doesn't want to see any more.

Thank you for actually contributing to the thread, not just making another "Blame Marty" or "How can anyone blame Marty?" post. The guy isn't who he once was, and reflexes, style and equipment all play into it.

Like I said in my earlier post, maybe it's just me, but I've been seeing more butterfly from Marty this season than I'm used to. Maybe he's trying to make a transition in an effort to play more years, since that style is more conducive to a long goaltending career? Maybe he's trying the ol' sit-back-and-take-up-space style because the reflexes ain't what they once were? Whatever the reason, it isn't working. If the reflexes are gone to the point where he can't be his usual challenging self, daring the shooter to beat him before snapping the glove, then he really does need to hang 'em up. If he's trying to change his style, he needs to stop. He's 38. Old dogs don't take kindly to new tricks, especially when they don't have the right equipment for it.

Belfour extended his career a few years by bulking up the equipment and becoming a standard butterfly guy at the end of his career. By the time he was in Toronto he looked nothing like the guy who was sprawling all over the place making acrobatic save after acrobatic save in 34" pads in the 2000 Stanley Cup Finals for the Stars. I think you'll probably see Brodeur do the same thing. If Lou can sort out the defense, I think Marty will be adequate once the adjustment period is over. The slow glove hand is hard to watch though after all the years of having the best glove in the league.

No question that the best part of Marty's career was post-lockout.

I understand Brodeur isn't getting much respect, but that's in part because he stinks right now. Spare me the bit about the offense - yes, the offense is horrendous. But Brodeur hasn't been that much better. He's got 3 shutouts this year. Let's see what his stats are like in non-shutout games:

3.55 GAA, .868 SV%

Those are Darren Pang numbers. Yes, I understand that taking out his shutouts is a form of data snooping.

I worry about the team going forward. Right now, the Devils cannot think that Brodeur can play more than 40 games next year. They absolutely must get a guy who can fill that other time. When it comes time for Brodeur to retire, then Devils fans will remember the good times, but it's tough to remember those times when he's playing as poorly as he is.

No question that the best part of Marty's career was post-lockout.

I understand Brodeur isn't getting much respect, but that's in part because he stinks right now. Spare me the bit about the offense - yes, the offense is horrendous. But Brodeur hasn't been that much better. He's got 3 shutouts this year. Let's see what his stats are like in non-shutout games:

3.55 GAA, .868 SV%

Those are Darren Pang numbers. Yes, I understand that taking out his shutouts is a form of data snooping.

I worry about the team going forward. Right now, the Devils cannot think that Brodeur can play more than 40 games next year. They absolutely must get a guy who can fill that other time. When it comes time for Brodeur to retire, then Devils fans will remember the good times, but it's tough to remember those times when he's playing as poorly as he is.

It's not too tough to remember if you were a fan during the old days and look back on the goaltender situation pre-Marty, and recall when the Devils were a middling .500-or-so team struggling to make the playoffs. You admitted in previous posts that you didn't start following the team until '96, so clearly you don't have this perspective. But those who don't or can't remember the old days only need to take a gander at many other teams' goalie issues (hello Flyers?) while Marty played to realize that they saw something pretty damned special...a guy who not only played all of his games with one team, but who played them at or near peak performance for almost all of that time. Yeah, everything associated with the Devils is pretty hard to take right now, as they're just about unwatchable, and Marty is as much a factor in the Devils' poor play as anyone, but I don't think that means respect for an all-time great who was actually proud to wear a Devils jersey gets thrown right out the window.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If Brodeur keeps playing this way, it would be catastrophic to play him 40 games next season. He's going to need to swallow his pride and become a backup, or simply hang them up. I have the utmost respect for Brodeur and he's the main reason this franchise has been so successful, but that doesn't mean I should turn a blind eye while he lets games slip away from us.

If Brodeur keeps playing this way, it would be catastrophic to play him 40 games next season. He's going to need to swallow his pride and become a backup, or simply hang them up. I have the utmost respect for Brodeur and he's the main reason this franchise has been so successful, but that doesn't mean I should turn a blind eye while he lets games slip away from us.

You guys crack me up. Marty has been a significant reason why this franchise has won 3 cups, and why we've made 13 straight playoff appearances. Let's also remember how Marty passed up better money to remain in Jersey at a time his value was highest. To disrespect him in the manner in which so many of you are, is disgusting. Marty is having an off year, but he is hardly the reason why this team is in the toilet. I will never be convinced that part of our problem was the protracted Kovy contract situation. Bettman really screwed us in that it was difficult to properly plan for the season without knowing whether he'd be here or not. But that's not all, we have several players who seem to have no heart. Larry Brooks' article this past Sunday was spot on. Langenbrunner has been the same since his falling out with Lemaire last year. Moving him should have been Lou's first move when the season ended. I can go on and on, but you all see the same team I do, and you see the same garbage as me. Just don't pin this on Marty. He has no help out there.

You guys crack me up. Marty has been a significant reason why this franchise has won 3 cups, and why we've made 13 straight playoff appearances. Let's also remember how Marty passed up better money to remain in Jersey at a time his value was highest. To disrespect him in the manner in which so many of you are, is disgusting. Marty is having an off year, but he is hardly the reason why this team is in the toilet. I will never be convinced that part of our problem was the protracted Kovy contract situation. Bettman really screwed us in that it was difficult to properly plan for the season without knowing whether he'd be here or not. But that's not all, we have several players who seem to have no heart. Larry Brooks' article this past Sunday was spot on. Langenbrunner has been the same since his falling out with Lemaire last year. Moving him should have been Lou's first move when the season ended. I can go on and on, but you all see the same team I do, and you see the same garbage as me. Just don't pin this on Marty. He has no help out there.

Yes, we should just resign Marty to a lifetime contract because of past success.

No one is disrespecting Marty, we know what he has provided for this team. However, there is a time when you need to realize that your days are behind you and it's better to be put out to pasture.

CR76, nice effort but it's futile, especially here. I don't know when it became cool to bash the guy but there is a nice group of fans who love to downplay his contributions to the game and what he has done for this team. Let's break down all of his stats and show show how smart I am. Let's devalue the consistency and dedication to your craft required to play 1100 games in one of the most challenging positions in all of sports. A goalie only being as good as the team in front of him? Shocker! Ryan Miller would surely have us fighting for the division lead right now. Whatever the case, trying to knock him down a peg has been such a hobby for some (his own fans and experts) throughout his entire career. Now the feast begins at the lowest point of his professional career.

No one can deny that Marty has lost some speed and that the reflexes are not as sharp as they once were. But there were signs of this happening years ago. It comes along with age no matter who you are or how good you are. What I don't understand is why are so many convinced that he has lost EVERYTHING in the span of a summer? I still contend that this team is a burial ground for any goalie you throw in there but in saying that it's obviously not an excuse for every goal that he gives up. He's struggling, especially right now, but this seems like more of a mental issue at this point. I know it seems like forever ago, but after a tough start, Marty got his game in gear earlier this year and was actually playing pretty well prior to hurting his elbow in the Chicago game. He was by far one of the better players on this team at that time (although that may not be saying much). He was keeping them in games. He was still able to do it.

Imo, I think he has just lost complete confidence in his game and he can't get it back. But really, who can blame him?. He's getting older. He's been injured. The team in front of him is mistake prone and they absolutely can not score. There have been some terrible turnovers in front of him these last couple of games but that's not an excuse. He's really struggled these past two games, that much is obvious. But what you have seen these last couple of games is not a true barometer of his current capabilities. No way in hell a goalie playing at his current level manages to secure 3 shutouts on an awful team like NJ. He's no longer the Marty of old but he's not as bad as he has recently shown.

What has me worried more then anything is that I don't know HOW he can regain his confidence on this team. They're really limiting the shots against right now but they still mange to make such glaring and stupid mistakes all over the ice. Now add in the fact that the offense is basically non-existent, well it's a difficult task to ask someone to get their sh!t in order when everything is in total chaos around them. This can be said for many of the players on this team actually. Again, it's not an excuse for him, but as a goalie it's only you in that crease. Now think about playing that position while you're struggling and knowing that you have no room for error. It's not easy.

If Marty were the only one on this team that looked absolutely fried, then yeah, plan the burial. But this TEAM is in the toilet mentally. He's not the only one. They're bad and their season is lost. Say what you will about them only caring about money and what not, no one wants to be considered a laughingstock and this is exactly what this team has become this year. The losing starts to weigh on you, we even feel it as fans. Imagine being in that locker room? They're damaged.

It's not too tough to remember if you were a fan during the old days and look back on the goaltender situation pre-Marty, and recall when the Devils were a middling .500-or-so team struggling to make the playoffs. You admitted in previous posts that you didn't start following the team until '96, so clearly you don't have this perspective. But those who don't or can't remember the old days only need to take a gander at many other teams' goalie issues (hello Flyers?) while Marty played to realize that they saw something pretty damned special...a guy who not only played all of his games with one team, but who played them at or near peak performance for almost all of that time. Yeah, everything associated with the Devils is pretty hard to take right now, as they're just about unwatchable, and Marty is as much a factor in the Devils' poor play as anyone, but I don't think that means respect for an all-time great who was actually proud to wear a Devils jersey gets thrown right out the window.

don't play the young fan card at me. i will care about the past when brodeur retires, then i will celebrate his entire catalog. until then, he's signed for another year, which is an implicit promise to remain being good at hockey, and he's been terrible this year. everyone else has been bad too, but he's been just as bad. the flyers' goaltending issues over the last decade and a half are highly overstated - they make for a comfortable narrative, but they are not entirely why the flyers have yet to win a stanley cup.

"Yes, we should just resign Marty to a lifetime contract because of past success.

No one is disrespecting Marty, we know what he has provided for this team. However, there is a time when you need to realize that your days are behind you and it's better to be put out to pasture."

Nobody suggested that Marty is going to be re-signed. In fact, I'm not sure MARTY is even looking for another contract. I just don't understand the lack of respect people are showing this hall of famer. I ask you, would getting rid of Marty make this team better?

"Yes, we should just resign Marty to a lifetime contract because of past success.

No one is disrespecting Marty, we know what he has provided for this team. However, there is a time when you need to realize that your days are behind you and it's better to be put out to pasture."

Nobody suggested that Marty is going to be re-signed. In fact, I'm not sure MARTY is even looking for another contract. I just don't understand the lack of respect people are showing this hall of famer. I ask you, would getting rid of Marty make this team better?

There's no lack of respect. Would you rather have a Marty that is known as being the all time winningest goaltender, one of the greats, 3 time cup winners or have Marty be known for all those things with the caveat that he stayed past his sell by date. Say what you want about Patrick Roy but at least he knew when to hang them up.

And with the way things are would getting rid of Marty make this team any worse? Like I've said before this isn't the New Jersey Martys this is the New Jersey Devils and you do what's best for the team. Lou said he's not getting rid of Marty so there is probably not going to be a trade for him. I'd prefer to see Marty go out on top and this ain't the way to do it. He's slow and it appears that his injuries are getting the best of him. It would be terrible to see him retire as an old broken down player. Why would you want to disrespect him like that? Just for some imaginary loyalty you have to the guy's past successes?

We crack you up huh? News flash: hockey is a business. Loyalties are important, and Brodeur will be talked about in NJ for the next 20 years, but when a player's time comes, it comes. I don't care how much he's done for us (and it's been a LOT) - the fact is, he's been abysmal this year, and if it continues, it means it's time for him to retire or become a backup. What is so hard to understand about this? It's the same with any other player in the NHL. Teams don't keep on players for the sake of nostalgia, especially not when they play a position which is absolutely essential for team success.

We crack you up huh? News flash: hockey is a business. Loyalties are important, and Brodeur will be talked about in NJ for the next 20 years, but when a player's time comes, it comes. I don't care how much he's done for us (and it's been a LOT) - the fact is, he's been abysmal this year, and if it continues, it means it's time for him to retire or become a backup. What is so hard to understand about this? It's the same with any other player in the NHL. Teams don't keep on players for the sake of nostalgia, especially not when they play a position which is absolutely essential for team success.

+1

Langenbrunner and White have done alot for our franchise in the past but they arent what they used to be. Amberite, you wouldnt happen to be one of those people saying you want them out of NJ are you? If so, whats the difference between what White did and Marty? They both were great and contributed alot to the team in the past, but that doesnt mean their down hill of skill needs to be over looked. The main goal of this sport/team is to win and if you arent helping that cause get out of the way. Fact is: Ever since the beginning of his injury, he is not what he used to be and consistently has been getting worse. Its time for him to take a bow and take a step back out of the light.

Edited by Quinn01

I still think we can lend/lease Marty like St. Louis did in 06-07 with Tkachuk. You could get a decent conditional return by sending Marty to Montreal for the playoffs.

Maybe Triumph or Daniel can chime in on the stats on this but I think one of the best things Marty can do for this club is retire. That opens up the cap.