Brodeur retires, joins STL front office

Marshall

Good for him. Just because there was a job available in NJ doesn't mean he had to to take it.

Lets be honest, what was his responsibility going to be in NJ working under Lou? Has anyone in management working under Lou (besides Marshall Johnston) been hired by another team and received a promotion? Any lateral moves, even? Working under Lou doesn't sound so fun.

Forgetting that he possibly chose one franchise over another (not necessarily true) did anyone even want him to be part of Devils management?

Edited by devilsrule33

Where does it say he is the assistant GM?   or is every front office job an "assistant" to the GM?

Anyway, guess Marty's moving to Missouri.

Came back for 7 appearances with the Blues... the sport has a way of humbling even the best.  "Father Time" stays undefeated

• Like 1

So be it.  Did the right thing by retiring as a player at least, though some will think he hung on too long.  At least it never got to be Martin Biron/Mikka Kiprusoff ugly on the ice. 

He's a Devil for life in spirit as far as I'm concerned.  I couldn't care less about him becoming an assistant GM for another organization (though I'm glad it's not the Rangers or Flyers or a few other select teams).  Great players don't always make great execs.  Sure, might have been nice if he came back here to join the Devils' front office, but I'm pretty indifferent to the fact that he chose another franchise.   

I'm glad he retired. Hopefully when the time comes, he comes back to work for the Devils. Looking forward to Marty Night next year.

Marty night...then Patrik night...then it's going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooong time comin' for whoever's next. 

• Like 1

I don't know how to feel about this one... Agh...

On one hand, we don't know what "front office position" was offered to him by Lou. On the other hand, this feels like total betrayal. Like, if your dad divorces from your mom, and marries the new woman 3 months later. Sure, he may have his reasons, but it's still no right.

I'm fine with this.   I prefer this from him going yet another team in a fruitless chase for 700.  

I'm also happy to see him start his front office career somewhere else.  If he proves to be a good there as well, I would have no problem bringing him back once he's learned the ropes ala Ron Hextall to Philly after years with LA.  I have no idea if he will be good in that role though and he seemed to take too much from granted with NJ here at the end.  I would hate to see him Johnny Mac his legacy before he's ready.      

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the update from Lamorillo. 

Edited by Lateralous

Anyway, just as guilty as anyone for discussing something as unimportant as what front-office Brodeur will assist in.

One of the greatest of all-time hung them up. What a career. I'll miss watching his style the most regardless if it was with the Devils or any other team. Every goalie today is basically butterfly, and it's pretty boring. 

Every great Devils moment I have enjoyed has had one constant --  Marty Brodeur in nets. 

@TGfireandice: Sounds like Brodeur will have some kind of advisory role. Will travel with Blues, work with coaches/players.

@TGfireandice: Brodeur was already sitting in on coaching meetings, PP meetings, stuff like that before taking leave of absence. Will be doing similar now.

Given how long his career has been, he's still only ever worked under one GM.  Getting some experience with another franchise and how they do things, especially one that completed a pretty successful rebuild over the last 10 years will probably be invaluable to him.