66 replies to this topic

#1 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

It's long been rumored that Doan was going to wait until 7/9 before accepting offers. Now, he's accepting offers. Vancouver is in the mix according to The Score, as well as the Red Wings. Lavoie just confirmed that the Canadiens have interest and its rumored the Rags and Pens are going to be in on him, as well as the Kings.

This "sweeps" seems a lot more open than Semin.

Id be absolutely fine with the Devils getting involved, but I doubt he'd come here.

#2 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Lou's not going to make moves on guys like Semin or Doan. He's more likely to make a "depth" move like Matt Bradley or tom Kostopoulos.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#3 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

Lou's not going to make moves on guys like Semin or Doan. He's more likely to make a "depth" move like Matt Bradley or tom Kostopoulos.

And its not entirely his fault if thats all he can do. These guys may not want to come here.

#4 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

And its not entirely his fault if thats all he can do. These guys may not want to come here.

I'm not going to argue with that. We were polled as one of the least desirable franchises to play for a few years ago.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#5 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Doan would help me forget Parise real quick.

#6 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Doan isn't worth the contract he'll be receiving. No thank you.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#7 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm not going to argue with that. We were polled as one of the least desirable franchises to play for a few years ago.

Yet old players keep coming back, and saying its one of the best organizations, i.e. sykora
Posted Image

#8 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Doan would be a great addition to the Devils if we turned the organization into a nursing home.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#9 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Doan would be a great addition to the Devils if we turned the organization into a nursing home.

done.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#10 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I'm sorry but how is a perennial playoff team and the defending eastern conference champions one of the least desirable teams in the league to play for?

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#11 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Probably because primadonnas dont get their way or money they want here, team only, no individuals who want to play with their brothers or boyfriends.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 09 July 2012 - 06:15 PM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#12 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm sorry but how is a perennial playoff team and the defending eastern conference champions one of the least desirable teams in the league to play for?

We've been pretty undesirable for a long time.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#13 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

no individuals who want to play with their brothers or boyfriends.

Yup, nail on the head
Posted Image

#14 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Players still haven't got the message that playing for an organization like the Devils increases their value come free agent time.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#15 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

#1 We are not a team that caters to guys who like the limelight. Pro athletes like the limelight.

#2 Preconceived notions. Case in point: Pronger and Melrose and their Newark comments. The defensive first mentality also.

#3 We're the second wheel in this market. Hell, we're like the 10th wheel if you count all of the other sports teams around here. Jets/Giants, Knicks, Yankees/Mets, Rags. This adds in with #1.

#4 We have a very strict way of doing things. Lou has rules that other teams dont have. Facial hair, Twitter accounts, etc. This matters to some guys.

#5 New Jersey has a high tax rate. 8.97 income tax on income over 500K.

#16 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

#1 We are not a team that caters to guys who like the limelight. Pro athletes like the limelight.

Shane Doan? From Phoenix?

#2 Preconceived notions. Case in point: Pronger and Melrose and their Newark comments.

Melrose is an a$hole. And Pronger is a Flyer...and an a$hole.

The defensive first mentality also.

That's also the reason we get players sometimes.

#3 We're the second wheel in this market. Hell, we're like the 10th wheel if you count all of the other sports teams around here. Jets/Giants, Knicks, Yankees/Mets, Rags. This adds in with #1.

See #1.

#4 We have a very strict way of doing things. Lou has rules that other teams dont have. Facial hair, Twitter accounts, etc. This matters to some guys.

See #1.

#5 New Jersey has a high tax rate. 8.97 income tax on income over 500K.

Fair point.

Probably because primadonnas dont get their way or money they want here, team only, no individuals who want to play with their brothers or boyfriends.

boom.

Edited by ben00rs, 09 July 2012 - 06:32 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#17 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm sure Doan wants to play with a strong contender for the cup next season. I doubt anyone, besides Devils fans, thinks we're in that group.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#18 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Shane Doan? From Phoenix?

I dont think Doan isnt coming here not because of any of these points. If he does come east, he will be overpaid. I think Doan turns us down because he wants to stay west to be closer to his family.

Melrose is an a$hole. And Pronger is a Flyer...and an a$hole.

And neither of them are the only ones to ever say anything about New Jersey. They are just the notable and recent. Those two also said it out loud.

My response was to a question that was regarding a comment not specifically made about Doan alone.

Edited by ghdi, 09 July 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#19 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I dont think Doan isnt coming here not because of any of these points. If he does come east, he will be overpaid.

And neither of them are the only ones to ever say anything about New Jersey. They are just the notable and recent. Those two also said it out loud.

My response was to a question that was regarding a comment not specifically made about Doan alone.

It's also this guy's fault:

Posted Image

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#20 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

I still think Doan is a better fit for the Devils than another year of Petr Sykora or even taking a chance on Kristian Huselius... but I don't see him signing for anything less than 2 years and too much money. If his demands are actually reasonable and he believes the Devils could compete this year, I'd welcome him.

There's no way the Devils' offer would be as competitive as, say, Detroit's or Pittsburgh's, though. And in Pitt he really could be the next Ray Bourque, walking onto a team loaded with talent as-is.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users