Has Brodeur gotten the short end of the stick?

Derlique

Obviously. Brodeur will go down as one of the best of all time. But one thing that most anti-Brodeur supporters point to is the fact that he never won a Hart or Conn Smythe.

1) The Hart Trophy

2006-2007 was easily Brodeur's best chance at winning the Hart. He set the all time record for wins in a season (48) and passed Roy for most OT wins (45). He posted a 2.18 GAA and a .922 SVP with 12 shutouts. These numbers are flat out insane, especially considering this is only a year after the new rules. Crosby won it because he scored 120 pts, a very good number, but not out of this world.

2) The Conn Smythe Trophy

Brodeur didn't deserve the Smythe in 1995 or 2000. Claude Lemieux was money in 95 and we all are aware of Scott Stevens' impact in 2000. However, in 2003, Brodeur was 16-8 with a 1.65 GAA and a .934 SVP with 7 shutouts. J.S Giguere obviously put up great numbers, and I'm not arguing the decision, but it could have gone either way.

• Like 1

He definitely got shafted outta the Conn Smythe in 2003. 3 SHUTOUTS in the FINALS?!?!? I was in attendance at Game 7 and was shocked when they announced Giguere. It was worth it to see Jiggy crying a river of tears into his straggly beard while Marty skated around the ice in his fresh out-of-the-box 2003 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS hat while he lifted his arms up and down as if he were pumping the Cup. CLASSIC MOMENT!

Brodeur is/was not as good as Roy and Hasek. I can live with it. You have to be a great player to even be in that conversation.

He and Scott Stevens are the most important players in the history of a franchise that won three championships with them as leaders. 1 and 1a.

The Conn Smythe and Hart ... eh, it's peripheral to me.

He definitely got shafted outta the Conn Smythe in 2003. 3 SHUTOUTS in the FINALS?!?!? I was in attendance at Game 7 and was shocked when they announced Giguere. It was worth it to see Jiggy crying a river of tears into his straggly beard while Marty skated around the ice in his fresh out-of-the-box 2003 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS hat while he lifted his arms up and down as if he were pumping the Cup. CLASSIC MOMENT!

I've mellowed about it as the years have passed, but I was angry when a Devil didn't win the award (Brodeur or Niedermayer). I wanted the victor getting all the spoils. I booed the announcement, I admit it.

I've mellowed about it as the years have passed, but I was angry when a Devil didn't win the award (Brodeur or Niedermayer). I wanted the victor getting all the spoils. I booed the announcement, I admit it.

I hate that puffy padded douche to this DAY and stalk out when he lets in goals on Center Ice every game cause few things on the planet make me smile bigger then the JiggyPout!

I have no problem admitting this and taking it to my grave, between that, the idiot announcers all but wearing Duck beaks (and that disgrace with that fat slob couple from Anaheim getting seats in our building so that disgrace could propose to that walrus).... I felt my fan-hood was questioned and mocked by the way that series was handled .... and well.... I get angry about that kinda crap... and I am known to hold a grudge now n then!

• Like 1

Hart is stupid. Conn Smythe is whatever. If you win it that means you probably won the Cup so it's really just a bonus prize that doesn't mean all that much. Brodeur probably deserved it in 03 but who cares. People remember the Cup winner not the Smythe winner.

True, but the Conn Smythe would have been a nice piece of hardware to add to Marty's resume

Brodeur is/was not as good as Roy and Hasek. I can live with it. You have to be a great player to even be in that conversation.

He and Scott Stevens are the most important players in the history of a franchise that won three championships with them as leaders. 1 and 1a.

The Conn Smythe and Hart ... eh, it's peripheral to me.

It depends on what you mean by "is/was not as good as"

In terms of pure puck-stopping, no one was good as Hasek...he was absurdly good.

In terms of pure "clutchness", I'd have to give the edge to Roy, especially in the playoffs.

Brodeur is probably the best all-arounder, in terms of durability, puck-handling skills, etc. And he was able to perform at a high level for almost every season he played in. I'd have to give a slight edge to both Hasek and Roy, but we're splitting hairs here.

But to stay on topic, I don't feel like Brodeur's been screwed at all...he has multiple Vezinas, so it's not like his greatness has been ignored.

The time I thought Marty got robbed was when he lost the Vezina to Hasek in '96-97.

Hasek:

37-20-10, 2.27 GAA, .930 Sv%, 5 SO

Brodeur:

37-14-13, 1.88 GAA, .927 Sv%, 10 SO

IIRC, Brodeur was the first goalie since Dryden to have a GAA under 2.00 and record double-digit shutouts in a season that year.

And, of course, we all remember the year Jim friggin Carey got the Vezina. To be fair, it was the year the Devils missed the playoffs, '95-96, but still:

Carey:

35-24-9, 2.26 GAA, .906 Sv%, 9 SO

Brodeur:

34-30-12, 2.14 GAA, .911 Sv%, 6 SO

What stings about that is that Carey largely won that Vezina because of his 9 shutouts. The next year, Brodeur puts up 10 and, because everyone still attributed all of Brodeur's success to "the system" at the time, got Bourque-ed out of the award.

Still, the guy won 4 Vezinas. Add all those Jennings, the 3 Cups and the Olympic Gold he brought back to Canada ... the guy's trophy shelf is plenty full.

Brodeur's greatest achievement wasn't being the best puck stopper of all time or the best playoff performer or even the best regular season goalie. To me, Brodeur belongs in the conversation of greatness due to his amazing consistency. Now, many of his detractors will point to all the great teams he has been on and how so many of his shutouts were of the "under 20 shot" variety. However, anybody who has played the position will tell you that it's sometimes harder to get a 15 save shut out then it is when you face 40. When you're getting bombarded, you get into a rhythm, your body is all warmed up and you start working on pure instinct and adrenaline. On the contrary, when you're sitting there uncontested for 10 minutes and all of a sudden it's, "Whoa! Time to make a save!", it's easier to let that one in because you're so out of the game. Brodeur was the most focused, unflappable goalie of all time and that lead to his amazing consistency. While that has fallen off in the last couple of seasons, it doesn't erase the 15 years of consistency that came before.

Oh, back on topic, no, he hasn't been short changed as a whole in his career. Yes, he's gotten award jipped a few times, but, like DiG said, his trophy case isn't hurting.

Obviously. Brodeur will go down as one of the best of all time. But one thing that most anti-Brodeur supporters point to is the fact that he never won a Hart or Conn Smythe.

You can sum up anti-Brodeur "supporters" in one phrase: Bitter Ranger fans.

Marty has his name inscribed three times on the only trophy that matters.