Are the Devils breaking an old tradition?

Daniel

If it didn't drive Cammalleri away and he didn't have a problem with it and it's not going to affect him, then why make anything out of it at all then?   

Again, you ask the question to protect Lou's way. But if you turn it around and take a step back and forget who's involved. Look at it.

"Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available? and if doesn't affect his play in any possible way?" and he can't... why?

It's one thing to have rules like, can't go out the night before a game, can't talk to the media on game day, don't drink booze 2 days before a game... god knows. Thats understandable, but the beard and numbers and all. Thats simply stupid. If it wasnt Lou's rule you'd agree with me too, especially if Sather would do sh!t like that in NY, he'd be the laughing stock.

Edited by SterioDesign

Again, you ask the question to protect Lou's way. But if you turn it around and take a step back and forget who's involved. Look at it.

"Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available?" 

It's one thing to have rules like, can't go out the night before a game, can't talk to the media on game day, don't drink booze 2 days before a game... god knows. Thats understandable, but the beard and numbers and all. Thats simply stupid. If it wasnt Lou's rule you'd agree with me too, especially if Sather would do sh!t like that in NY, he'd be the laughing stock.

I think you are reaching a bit there.  You don't think Sather was a laughing stock for terrible signings (Gomez, Drury, Redden, Frolov, Zherdev, Lindros, traded for Bure, Fleury, etc.) as well as failure for pretty much the first 10 years of his reign but think he would be a laughing stock over not allowing beards?

"Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available?" 

Once again, this isn't Lou just doing it. There has NEVER been a 13 on the Devils stretching back before Lou was even here. I don't know why you keep ignoring that. 

I am not "protecting Lou's way".  No one's way is absolutely perfect, and there's no one way that is ever going to have universal appeal.  It's like I've told you, I accept Lou for who he is, and that his way has brought this fanbase considerable success. 

Your "Should a player be allowed to wear the # he likes if it means something to him if the # is available?" premise doesn't apply here because the number ISN'T available.  The DEVILS (not Lou, the actual DEVIL FRANCHISE) choose not to issue it and never have.  End of story.

Teams have different rules.  It's not like the Devils are the only sports franchise that have a no-facial hair rule and don't issue every last number from 1-98.  Some teams used to have a "everyone must have a certain dress code" before boarding flights.  Just because you don't agree with a certain team's rule set doesn't automatically make them stupid by default.  I remember a young Andre Agassi once calling the people in charge of Wimbledon "bozos" because they require players to wear white clothing only.  Agassi came off like an immature wanna-be rebel, and no one agreed with his stance.  The rules are what they are, and if you don't like them, no one is forcing you to take part.  And there's not even a case here...we have yet to have a player say "I didn't sign with the Devils because they wouldn't let me look like Grizzly Adams and wouldn't let me wear number X."  And even with the number rule, we've seen exceptions made for Gilmour, Mogilny, Richer, and Jagr...it's not like it's this hard and fast rule (though it clearly is with #13).  But again, the rule is what it is, and the Devils couldn't care less what anyone has to say about it, and they don't have to...their team, their rules.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

there's no point arguing with you guys. I'm done. Lou could himself draw a dick on Jagr face for every single game and force him to play like that and you'd still find a way to make it sound like its right. Done.

Not for you there isn't, because you usually wind up on the losing end of these things as people attempt to explain to you alternative viewpoints that are better rooted in making sense and you end up looking foolish over and over again (notice how this keeps happening to you).  And then you usually exit the conversation with a teenage-level retort like the one above when it doesn't go your way.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's clearly important cause i watched many interviews he did in his apartment where 13 is EVERYWHERE and where he talked about his number 13 and how that number followed him all his career and how it was a special and significative number for him. thats how.

Again if there was a GOOD reason not to give him the number, fine. but there's none. absolutely none. 

That's what I was saying. Supposedly there's a reason, but no one knows what it is. 

there's no point arguing with you guys. I'm done. Lou could himself draw a dick on Jagr face for every single game and force him to play like that and you'd still find a way to make it sound like its right. Done.

Ha.

SD, there's a definite pattern here. You come in guns-a-blazing, people use logic to point out flaws in your argument, then you act like you're being attacked and suddenly you're above it.

And again.... the Devils didn't have a #13 BEFORE LOU WAS HERE. It's only a Lou issue to you.

Let me just say, if you had said Salvador, I would totally be in favor of this. 

I'll say that in high school baseball, a kid one year ahead of me always took #26 because older players go first when picking.. I still did alright, making varsity sophomore and junior years with #36, but my senior year I finally got #26 and my game happened to improve considerably.. Hit .403, almost broke the school record in doubles, and made All-Conference.. I'm not saying it was the number, but it might have been the number :P

I'll say that in high school baseball, a kid one year ahead of me always took #26 because older players go first when picking.. I still did alright, making varsity sophomore and junior years with #36, but my senior year I finally got #26 and my game happened to improve considerably.. Hit .403, almost broke the school record in doubles, and made All-Conference.. I'm not saying it was the number, but it might have been the number :P

Congrats, it wasn't the number it was you !!!!!!!!!!!! Did you go further, like college baseball?