(N)Єverson Retires

msweet

You're right. It's better stated that he hated the Devils & knew that the Rags references were the best way to piss off the Devs fan-base

I have no idea if he actually hated the Devils...I think he knew what kind of a paper he was writing for and who his audience was...I think he was catering to them more than he was being 100% true to himself.

A recent history of the NHL, according to (N)Єverson and I'd assume most of his readers...

1991-92 - Messier demands to become a Ranger because he knows how wondrous it is to play on a team that hasn't won in 50 years.

1992-93 - Season didn't count.

1993-94 - Most glorious season of all time. Rangers defeat Devils, win Cup, a golden age for hockey in the US. Matteau is my faves.

1994-95 - No season.

1995-96 - No season. Gretzky demands to be a Ranger.

1996-97 - Rangers defeat Panthers and Devils in playoffs, then the season is mysteriously cancelled for no reason.

1997-98 - No season.

1998-99 - No season.

1999-00 - No season. Don't look it up. Nothing happened.

2000-01 - No season.

2001-02 - No season.

2002-03 - Absolutely no season.

2003-04 - No season.

2004-05 - Season cancelled because of how boring the Devils and their trap was.

2005-06 - Um.. I think hockey was still locked out.... yeah. It was... no season...

2006-07 - No season.

2007-08 - Rangers beat Devils! HA! In your FACE!! Then remainder of season mysteriously cancelled.

2008-09 - No season

2009-10 - No season.

2010-11 - No season.

2011-12 - Rangers defeat Ottawa and Washington in thrilling 7 game series full of heroics and high paced offense, and then season mysteriously cancelled.

:clap2:

He also broke the Kovalchuk signing way before everyone else too. We all gave him no credit for it and said he was talking out his a$$ but he actually had the contract almost exactly right.

Good call. Forgot about that.

I wonder what (N)Єverson would've written about the latest news that Kovalchuk is playing another game for SKA and the new rumor that he might not come back.

Actually ... that could make for a good sticky thread for during the season: "What (N)Єverson would've written"

He also broke the Kovalchuk signing way before everyone else too. We all gave him no credit for it and said he was talking out his a$$ but he actually had the contract almost exactly right.

I thought it was Denis Potvin that broke the news at the end of an interview on a Toronto radio station. They were wrapping up his interview and then he says, "Oh and did you hear about Kovalchuk to the Devils?" At least that is how the rumor started, maybe (N)Єverson was the first to report it as a done deal.

I thought it was Denis Potvin that broke the news at the end of an interview on a Toronto radio station. They were wrapping up his interview and then he says, "Oh and did you hear about Kovalchuk to the Devils?" At least that is how the rumor started, maybe (N)Єverson was the first to report it as a done deal.

IIRC, (N)Єverson called the dollars and years (not exact, but REAL close) when everyone else was throwing completely different numbers around.

IIRC, (N)Єverson called the dollars and years (not exact, but REAL close) when everyone else was throwing completely different numbers around.

You do remember correctly...I remember seeing that article and thinking "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!" No way that would ever happen, lol.

I could have sworn it was Brooks that had the lifetime contract for $100 million, not (N)Єverson. The only 'scoops' I remember (N)Єverson getting were about Sutter leaving, and Langs' arthroscopic surgery during one of the playoffs.

Pretty hard to look back through the million pages of the Kovy thread to find an answer but maybe I can do a thread search.

EDIT: Found it, my memory wasn't failing after all, it was Brooks:

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68641&st=2220#entry902729

Edited by NJDevs4978

I could have sworn it was Brooks that had the lifetime contract for $100 million, not (N)Єverson. The only 'scoops' I remember (N)Єverson getting were about Sutter leaving, and Langs' arthroscopic surgery during one of the playoffs.

Pretty hard to look back through the million pages of the Kovy thread to find an answer but maybe I can do a thread search.

EDIT: Found it, my memory wasn't failing after all, it was Brooks:

http://www.njdevs.co...220#entry902729

Wow, good memory! Thanks for saving us from giving (N)Єverson more credit than he deserved. :lol: