The Devils are bad and it's time to tank

Daniel

Early in the season, our record is better than it was last year, no more Marty, just bench Salvador, blah, blah, blah.

It's over fancy stat people. It's a very, very bad team. Old forwards, bad defenseman, a hugely disappointing goalie who was supposed to be the answer to all of our problems, but maybe shows that you can't plug and play save percentage, and obviously Stevens as defensive coach was not the problem.

Trade Jagr and Zidlicky as soon as you think we can get the maximum value for them. Just tank, and hope for one of those top two picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're a few points out of a playoff spot. We're playing like sh!t but I think with a major change, to our coach and leadership, this team can compete.

Nope. The talent is not there, and Schneider is fools gold. It's over, and the quicker it's recognized, the quicker we can start to turn things around.

I regretfully agree with Daniel. Part with Gelinas, maybe Zids, Jagr, one of Brunner and Ryder. Call up Matteau and Boucher full time and run with a call up D man maybe Harrold or someone. Possibly call up Gomez too.

Worst thing we can do is finish middle of the pack with such goodies in the top two.

I have a hard time saying it's time to tank this early in the season, but I get the sentiment. Too many veterans that are past their prime.

I would disagree about Schneider. He's having a bad stretch, but there's nothing making me think he's going to continue to perform below his career stats. He's had a heavy workload so far this year. Not just in the games played, but in the amount of shots faced. Tonight wasn't that bad but early in the season we were getting blitzed for a while. His confidence is probably pretty low like the rest of the team, but I think Cory can get back to last year's level and hopefully steal us a few games soon.

I think the problem with this franchise right now, and it's similar to some others that are just "mediocre" as one poster pointed out above, is we've gone through several years of trading draft picks and prospects for top end talent combined with having our talent leave for other organizations. For the first time in awhile I feel like we've got some prospects in the system, especially on D which is great. But the forward corp is a mess, and it doesn't look like there is much relief on the way. Instead we fill up the roster with bad contracts which keeps those few prospects in the minors. Meanwhile until just recently, we've been trading away picks for runs in the late 00's and don't have any of those young, serviceable players to plug in the roster.

I don't want to become one of those posters who complains about the same thing all day because I've mentioned this is in another thread... but I blame Lou! For all the Brodeur-haters out there who complain about the legacy starts he got last year, I'm surprised Lou gets such a free pass around here. I would expect that in any other organization, a GM with his track record over the last 10 years would have been fired by now. He's really only here still because of what he did in the 90s and the beginning of 2000s (albeit what he DID do during that time was pretty amazing)

Agree, agree 100% Daniel.

We can make fun of the Penguins for tanking until the cows come home, but it CLEARLY works. Especially when there's a potentially generational talent available, which McDavid appears to be.

Attendance is going to suck anyway with the sh!t team, there's no reason not to.

Nope. The talent is not there, and Schneider is fools gold. It's over, and the quicker it's recognized, the quicker we can start to turn things around.

Man, I wish I could bet on this sentiment about Schneider.  If the Devils have a bad year, it's going to be because Schneider got hurt, not because of how he plays.

We can make fun of the Penguins for tanking until the cows come home, but it CLEARLY works. Especially when there's a potentially generational talent available, which McDavid appears to be.

Attendance is going to suck anyway with the sh!t team, there's no reason not to.

It doesn't always work, and usually doesnt, and it's never anything you want to do. But if you find yourself in the right place at the right time, might as well go for when the season isn't going anywhere anyway.

Daniel, I am going to chalk this statement up to frustration on your part. Schneider has been excellent his entire career and has 5-6 bad games and all of a sudden he is fools gold? Nothing that happens this entire season will determine if he is fools gold or not just yet.

Are you being facetious here? The Penguins successfully tanked before there was a lottery. Either way, the Devils aren't catching the Sabres. They aren't tanking with Lou in charge. 

Man, I wish I could bet on this sentiment about Schneider. If the Devils have a bad year, it's going to be because Schneider got hurt, not because of how he plays.

Pulled in three games already, two games in a row. 3.00 GAA and sub .900 save percentage, with sh!t ton of soft goals to boot.

Too bad you don't have Marty to kick around anymore.

Pulled in three games already, two games in a row. 3.00 GAA and sub .900 save percentage, with sh!t ton of soft goals to boot.

Too bad you don't have Marty to kick around anymore.

He was pulled in 4 games.  Do you need me to go find all the years where Brodeur had a month like that?  Or how about several months - the 2001 Stanley Cup playoffs, for instance.  Goalies have bad months.  It's a sport of bounces and Cory's not getting them lately.  He's clearly a very good goalie and will bounce back.

Are you being facetious here? The Penguins successfully tanked before there was a lottery. Either way, the Devils aren't catching the Sabres. They aren't tanking with Lou in charge.

A different time, sure - but the concept remains the same. Sure, the lottery complicates things - but even if the Devils tanked and lost the lottery they'd still be better off than they're inevitably going to be.

Because we all know how this season will go - they'll miss the playoffs but still somehow end up with with a pick that won't supply a significant talent.

Sometimes you don't have much a choice in the matter. As it stands now, the team is terrible talent wise, both at the NHL and in the pipeline. The blue line has been an enormous weakness to the point that the best hope is a 20 year old. Larsson is barely an NHL defenseman. Gelinas might be a poor man's Sheldon Souray some day, Even if Greene gets back to what he has been the past year or so, there are maybe 25 defensive units that are better than ours. The forwards are old and pathetic. And we're looking at a penalty kill that, if we're lucky, rebounds to 75 percent.

It's over. This is not a playoff team, and not by a longshot. We have a bunch of players that have decent trade value that are old and in the last years of their deals. It was worth a shot, but it obviously cannot work.

Hasan had a well thought out post on whether to Retool vs Rebuild Friday. He covered everything including whether it makes sense to keep the current Devil roster together. Personally, I think Lou has lost his mind. He thinks this roster is good enough but for what. Can a roster that relies heavily on vets and a some kids make the playoffs? It depends on Schneider and the health/production of Cammalleri, Henrique and Jagr. They need more from Elias and better consistency from Zajac. 

I don't get the ice-times for Gionta, Zubrus and the force feeding of Tootoo which is similar to Vigneault's fetish with Tanner Glass. These are role players. It's too bad about Clowe. He's basically done and should retire. He's a good player. Always been a fan of him but see it ending similar to Adam Deadmarsh. Another one of my faves.

The only positive development is Severson, who's a stud. At the very least, they have a top pair defenseman who should be an All-Star. I don't see why the organization doesn't give Boucher a chance. Ditto Matteau. What is the plan? DeBoer isn't the right coach. He overplays Salvador and Zidlicky together. They are a disaster. You can't pair your 2 worst defenders. At least balance it out. Do they really miss Merrill that much? What's the plan with Larsson? You either play or trade him. He got 12 minutes. 

Final thing. You can't start Schneider every game. He's never even started 50. They should just give Kinkaid a game. Maybe tonight? 

• Like 1

We're a few points out of a playoff spot. We're playing like sh!t but I think with a major change, to our coach and leadership, this team can compete.

The division is mediocre. That is the argument for keeping your roster intact. Lou has until the trade deadline to decide the team's future. He can either move Jagr, Zidlicky, Ryder or go for it. 

I hate the idea of tanking, but even if this season does get better where do we go from here next year?

We have a vacuum of talent at forward, and it's been getting worse the last few years. And in this day and age it is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain the skilled forwards we need.

We have very little (if not close to nothing) to spare in a trade. Top players in their prime rarely become UFA anymore. So that just leaves the draft.

Let's be honest you can either choose to rebuild or slide into it through an ever diminishing pool of talent.

Seems we have chosen the second option.

When your HC plays the two worst defensemen nonstop with tons of ice time I don't know how you can blame Schneider.

Gelinas also looked poor again and and Greene continues to play uninspiring hockey. The defense right now is every bit a dumpster fire and probably won't improve until Deboer is fired.

I do agree however that this is not a good team. We will be picking top 10 for sure.

Daniel, I am going to chalk this statement up to frustration on your part. Schneider has been excellent his entire career and has 5-6 bad games and all of a sudden he is fools gold? Nothing that happens this entire season will determine if he is fools gold or not just yet.

Cory's never been THE GUY before, it's a little fair to question whether he can be at this point since he's flopping big time.  Anyone can look good in 20-30 game stretches but all we heard from Tri all the last two years was the goaltending was bad and would be fixed by 'anyone' (not just Cory) replacing Marty.

Even if you want to give Cory a pass and say the D's been awful it still shows Marty wasn't the 'only' problem the last two years.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We're set at defense with our young guys. We're set in the net. We're missing a few forwards is all. Need to play Matteau, Boucher. And a better coach. Rebuild for a few forwards? Not the best idea.

We are anything but set. Larsson is a human yoyo. Gelinas is a train wreck at times defensively. There is promise but there is also potential unrealization as well. Severson right now is a jewel and I think Merrill is solid but still has some work to do.

Our forward situation is also a mess.

We're set at defense with our young guys. We're set in the net. We're missing a few forwards is all. Need to play Matteau, Boucher. And a better coach. Rebuild for a few forwards? Not the best idea.

I'm sorry, the defense and goalie are "set" and the offensive solution is Matteau and Boucher? Really?