www.SterioDesign.com

#1202 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

kings in sc but can brown be suspended now for game 1 of stanley cup?

I doubt he will regardless of whether or not it was clean. If the league suspends him then it's basically admitting that it should have been a penalty, and the series-winning goal shouldn't have been scored right afterwards. I think if they do that it would become a historic snafu. It's easier for them to just say it wasn't a dirty hit or at least wasn't suspension-worthy and move on.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#1203 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

It doesn't happen every time, Stevens has touched it before. I just don't get it. It doesn't happen in any of the other sports that I can think of. It's just stupid. Pick the damn trophy up and have some fun with it.

Yeah, not touching it is the height of superstition. I still laugh at Gary Thorne's call during the 2003 EC presentation. 'You know Stevens isn't going to touch it...well, he does touch it. You know he's not going to pick it up though, I can guarantee you that...well, he does pick it up'.

I wouldn't go as far as Stevens did in '03 and get a picture with it, but I do think that was genuine excitement over beating Ottawa, and plus an acknowledgement that Stevens didn't have too many of those left (last full season as it turned out) and he wanted to milk it.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1204 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

I think it was in 2002 but I do kinda remember when the Red Wings once won the Campbell trophy that the announcers didn't think Yzerman would touch it. Instead Yzerman not only picks it up but skates it around a little bit and then runs into the dressing room with it above his head with the rest of the team following.

My memory could be wrong though.

#1205 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

If my memory serves, the only time Stevens DIDN'T touch it was 2001. I think you should be proud of winning and a quick lift is not a bad thing. You do not parade it around though. IF we win lift that b*tch.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#1206 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

The Stevens thing is correct. The only time we didn't win the Cup is when he didn't lift the Wales Trophy.

Whoever wins, should touch it, honor it, enjoy the trophy for the few minutes following a great achievement.

Let's pray Zach gets the chance to do it, and does the right thing.

#1207 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,140 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

The Stevens thing is correct. The only time we didn't win the Cup is when he didn't lift the Wales Trophy.

Whoever wins, should touch it, honor it, enjoy the trophy for the few minutes following a great achievement.

Let's pray Zach gets the chance to do it, and does the right thing.

Granted, we are probably only saying that because it worked that way for Stevens and the Devils. I think it all depends on the team. If you've been to the Finals for the last few years and lost, maybe don't touch it and celebrate with it. But, if it is the first time in the Finals, I think a team should enjoy the ride and skate around with it. Then again, that's what Mike Richards did with the Flyers in 2010, and they lost.

I remember Crosby not touching it in 2008, and then deciding to touch it in 2009. That worked out. Either way, stupid or not, it's a fun little thing that people get to talk about.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1208 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

I remember Crosby not touching it in 2008, and then deciding to touch it in 2009. That worked out. Either way, stupid or not, it's a fun little thing that people get to talk about.

I'd be so superstitious about touching the thing that I'd upend the table they sit it on, sending it crashing down to the ice. Once there, I'd spit on it and skate away.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#1209 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Well i mean... Every year its either working or not lol if both captains dont touch it its only gonna go one way lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#1210 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,793 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

All I know is if the Rangers win it, they should skate it around the ice like it's the Stanley Cup, 'cause that's all they're going to win.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1211 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

What a sh!t show that post game was yesterday, Coyotes really whined quite a bit:

Post Game

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1212 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

3 home games and rangers are a -16 fenwick. Game tied data would be funny if gathered. I suppose rangers score goals on high quality chances however unlike NJ who is lucky.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#1213 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

The "feeling" about the Rangers being the team of destiny didn't work out.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#1214 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Anyone watching the Memorial Cup game? I guess i'm on hockey suboxone till the finals start. It's been a fun game, headed for OT.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#1215 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Anyone watching the Memorial Cup game? I guess i'm on hockey suboxone till the finals start. It's been a fun game, headed for OT.

@DownGoesBrown

Prediction for the Memorial Cup overtime winner: Somehow, Adam Henrique.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#1216 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Have to watch it with the mute on because those damn air horns WILL NOT STOP. My god its all game long.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#1217 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

great... a flyers prospect ends it...

www.SterioDesign.com

#1218 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,199 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Have to watch it with the mute on because those damn air horns WILL NOT STOP. My god its all game long.

I'm watching the replay of the game now on NHL Network, my god it's horrible. I don't mind the horns if there's a chant going on with them but they just keep blowing them for the hell of it.

#1219 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

Just noticed this on Conan O'Briens twitter - Conan O'Brien ‏@ConanOBrien

The @LAKings are playing the @PhoenixCoyotes? I wonder which city that shouldn't have a hockey team will win.
Devils.

#1220 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Unfortunatly this is probably the best thread to put this in but the Sharks Dominick Moore issued a statement regarding the "family matter" which kept him out of Games 4 and 5 of the 1st round against the Blues. His wife has a rare form of liver cancer.

http://espn.go.com/n...are-form-cancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users