2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

This chart compares Geno to the QBs of the 2012 rookie class through their first 7 games:

Name..............W/L.......Comp-Att (%).....Pass Yards...TD/INT..Rush TD

Andrew Luck.....4-3.........160-288 (55.5)........1,971..........8/8.........3 
RGIII................3-4.........133-189 (70.3)........1,601..........7/3.........6
Russell Wilson...4-3.........104-175 (59.4)........1,230..........8/7.........0
Tannehill..........4-3.........120-203 (59.1)........1,472..........4/6..........1
Geno Smith......4-3.........130-223 (58.3)........1,723.........8/11.........2

Obviously there's a ton of work to do, but this is really encouraging
Edited by SMantzas

With the game the way it is now, it's a lot easier for rookie QBs to step in and have some success right away.  Used to be you didn't expect much until their second or third years, at the earliest.

Some will say, "Well, Geno's played like a rookie...some good and some bad", but at least he's HAD some good.  Some guys have very little or no good on their way to being busts.  Geno looks like he's going to stick.

And re:  Rex Ryan, I wouldn't give him an extension YET, but if this team finishes close to .500, considering the franchise did just about everything possible NOT to help him, I think he deserves to come back.

With the game the way it is now, it's a lot easier for rookie QBs to step in and have some success right away.  Used to be you didn't expect much until their second or third years, at the earliest.

Some will say, "Well, Geno's played like a rookie...some good and some bad", but at least he's HAD some good.  Some guys have very little or no good on their way to being busts.  Geno looks like he's going to stick.

And re:  Rex Ryan, I wouldn't give him an extension YET, but if this team finishes close to .500, considering the franchise did just about everything possible NOT to help him, I think he deserves to come back.

I think most people around the league were giving the Jets 4-6 wins over the course of the season. Here we are 7 games into the season and the Jets already hit some of the projections. I still don't think we'll make the playoffs but if Rex has the team sniffing .500 (at least 7 wins) I think there is no way they don't retain him. He is way too popular in that locker room

The funny thing is the Jets don't really have to do much more to hit 7 wins...if they go 3-6 in their last 9, they've done it. 

I wonder if the organization is grading him on a different curve now. 

The funny thing is the Jets don't really have to do much more to hit 7 wins...if they go 3-6 in their last 9, they've done it. 

I wonder if the organization is grading him on a different curve now. 

..this is exactly the case.

At the start of the year, 6-7 wins would've given Rex his contract. But now the way the season's played out.. heading into Week 8, having only 3 losses.. Ryan needs AT LEAST 8 wins (maybe more) to get him his extension.

8 wins should really be enough, IF the Jets are being fair to him.  That will have exceeded expectations, and they beat the Pats to boot (even if they're not playing as well as they have in recent regular seasons, so what...it was still a big win). 

If 8 wins aren't enough, then I think the Jets come off being unfair and having an agenda.  Rex has his team overcoming a lot this season.  They make not make the playoffs, but they're relevant almost halfway through the season.  Almost NO ONE saw that coming. 

Woody likes Rex...I'm not so sure his seat was ever as hot as people speculated it was.

Now it looks like they've assembled a solid staff. Pettine the rat is gone, Mornhinweg is building the offense around Geno. Dennis Thurman and Karl Dunbar have done an amazing job. Idzik has gotten us out of cap hell quickly and found some solid value players...why upset the apple cart?

I don't think there's any way Rex should be fired with 8+ wins...I mean that'd be four of five seasons where the Jets were .500 or better, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Idzik and Rex are just so different I don't see how that arranged marriage can work long-term though, unless Rex finds a way to be more buttoned-up and still somehow be Rex personality-wise.  They're about as different personality-wise as Steve Phillips and Bobby Valentine used to be.  At least Bobby V did last several years under Phillips somehow.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't think there's any way Rex should be fired with 8+ wins...I mean that'd be four of five seasons where the Jets were .500 or better, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Idzik and Rex are just so different I don't see how that arranged marriage can work long-term though, unless Rex finds a way to be more buttoned-up and still somehow be Rex personality-wise.  They're about as different personality-wise as Steve Phillips and Bobby Valentine used to be.  At least Bobby V did last several years under Phillips somehow.

You bring up a good comparison with Philips and Valentine...but I think Rex is more malleable. We've already seen a tone down of his shtick this season.

He's a great locker room motivator though, and as a pure defensive strategist he's one of the best in the game. Plus I just don't see anybody out there that would be decidedly better.

Terrific win! Just an all around incredible effort. They deserved it.

Didn't look so great early as the Saints were in Geno's face. Jets looked like they limited Geno a bit today with the M.A.S.H. unit receiving corps. Kerley went out again...I'm fearing a break but hopefully it's not and with the bye week he can get healthy.

Jimmy Graham was about as uncovarable as you can get. Disappointed to see him singled far too much early in the game...luckily that ended as the game progressed. Seems like the Jets had a bunch of "almost" picks to go along with their regular interceptions. Plus one called back on a questionable hold.

That roughing the passer on Brees that led to 3 for N.O. was atrocious.

If not...we could be looking at Braylon Edwards Part V :giggle:  But the good news is that Winslow and Holmes will be set to return after the bye. Sudfeld and Salas made a few plays today. Stephen Hill invisible.

Amazing job of blocking by the O-line. They set up some pretty fancy schemes and opened up holes for Ivory who ran with reckless abandon and was a load to bring down

Great to see San Diego lose as well

Edited by '7'

So, uh, today?

:D

I'm still recovering from the shock :P  Actually I was out to dinner, had to leave at 26-20 just before the two minute warning but I heard the rest on the radio.  Boy, when Graham had that second TD at 14-6 it looked like it was a runaway, but they got the turnovers they needed.  Although they didn't gain much running in the fourth quarter, Ivory was a beast earlier on.  Nice to see him show up the Saints a little, especially with their lack of a running game the last few years.

Sean Payton...WTF with those third-and-one and forth-and-one calls.  A pass to the fullback is one thing, faking a double reverse to give it to the fullback/TE/whoever it was?!  But thank you for getting too cute late.  Even Brees seems to be running out of receivers if you cover Graham, Colston's been nonexistent and Moore has just gotten back the last two weeks.

I literally never heard of Greg Salas before today.  Well I barely remember the name but I didn't realize he was on the Jets until today lol.  For all of Geno's ills, he literally was throwing to fifth-string WR's and third-string TE's today.  At least he avoided the big turnover.

Hell of a job by the Jets.  And though it's clear that it's really hard to tell what you're going to get from this team week in and week out, there's a lot of winnable games left on their schedule.  Kind of hard to think that this team won't win 8 or 9 games...which makes Beez look like Kreskin at this point...hell, the Jets have performed even better than he predicted, record-wise. 

Barring the Jets tanking, I don't know how Rex possibly doesn't get an extension.  He's gotten the most out of what he's had to work with.  His players love him and play hard for him.  And he seems to finally be evolving into Rex 2.0.  At least for Rex, if Idzik does can him because he just HAS to bring in his own guy, I don't think Rex has to take a step back before he gets another head coaching job.  He'll be an NFL coach next season for sure.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

We could be looking at Braylon Edwards Part V

Now might be the perfect time to tap Braylon. His ankle is 100%, and the bye week can give him extra reps. There are reports out now that Kerley could miss up to 3-4 weeks. Salas is good but raw. Campbell & Hill have been ghosts, and despite the fact that Holmes will be returning, he's one hit away from being injured again at this point.

It's really remarkable what MM has been able to do here, with a less than stellar cast of misfits. With Cumberland, Santonio, Winslow, and possibly Edwards all returning for Week 11.. this offense should look a little bit more respectable enough to keep defenses honest. --especially given the fact that players like Geno, Ivory, Cribbs & Sudfeld are getting better and better and better, each and every week.

Sean Payton...WTF with those third-and-one and forth-and-one calls. A pass to the fullback is one thing, faking a double reverse to give it to the fullback/TE/whoever it was?! But thank you for getting too cute late.

I said the same thing. I was STUNNED by the plays that were run for a 3rd & inches, and then 4th & inches. If we're playing NE, Brady goes over the top for a 1st down, and punches it in for the TD. It's a game of inches, and I thought those 2 plays may have changed the game if NO kept that drive alive.

Barring the Jets tanking, I don't know how Rex possibly doesn't get an extension. He's gotten the most out of what he's had to work with. His players love him and play hard for him. And he seems to finally be evolving into Rex 2.0

..there are some analysts that are even saying the extension could come during the bye week.. in order for Rex to just coach without having to worry about his job.

Putting myself out here a bit on this one.. but here goes; The 2013 New York Jets WILL make the playoffs this season!

San Diego, Houston, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore all lost yesterday.. and despite the fact that the Browns won, do you really believe that they're only going to lose 2 more games the rest of the way? Same for Miami & Tennessee? What I'm trying to say here folks is that 9-7 will be enough to get in. This Conference is PUTRID! Arguably the worst it's been since 1991. You can literally make a case of almost any team making the playoffs in the AFC. You can say 10-6 is "the safe number" in football.. but this Conference looks so bad that 8-8 may actually be enough to snag that last wildcard spot.

After 9 games, Marty is beginning to know how to use Geno. He's understanding his weaknesses and strengths, and as a result, the kid is making less mistakes. Likewise, the game is slowing down for him. The Jets have: Miami 2x, Oakland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Carolina & Baltimore left on tap to conclude the season. If they go 4-3 the rest of the way, I honestly believe we'll make the postseason.

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling Idzik isn't firmly in Rex's corner.  I think Idzik wants to see what the Jets do over 16 games, even though one could definitely make an argument that Rex has already earned his extension with this 5-4 start.  I think the most impressive attribute of his team is that they shake off losses, no matter how bad.  They turn the page very well.  No snowballing.  One could argue that they have yet to build on the wins, but it all goes back to the same thing...almost NO ONE thought this team was going to be any good.   

And yeah, Jets made themselves a firm playoff contender with yesterday's win.  Tennessee's win over the Jets could hurt, but the Titans still have to play the Colts twice, and Denver...on the plus side, they still get to play the Jags twice.  The big question is can the Titans go 5-0 against Jax, Oak, Arizona, Jax, and Houston?  If they do that, then the Colts games and Denver game won't really matter.  They'll be 9-7 and will hold the tiebreaker over the Jets.  I think this is what it's going to come down to...can Tennessee go 5-3 over its final 8 games?  Because the Jets would then have to go 5-2 over its final seven.     

You could easily make a case for anyone in the AFC that's got up to 5 losses being a playoff contender.

Right now, the Titans are in the drivers' seats, but if they falter the Jets and Dolphins are right there (and as a Fins fan I have little faith right now in the latter holding up).  San Diego is gonna drop back, their schedule at the back half is murder.

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling Idzik isn't firmly in Rex's corner.  I think Idzik wants to see what the Jets do over 16 games, even though one could definitely make an argument that Rex has already earned his extension with this 5-4 start.  I think the most impressive attribute of his team is that they shake off losses, no matter how bad.  They turn the page very well.  No snowballing.  One could argue that they have yet to build on the wins, but it all goes back to the same thing...almost NO ONE thought this team was going to be any good.   

And yeah, Jets made themselves a firm playoff contender with yesterday's win.  Tennessee's win over the Jets could hurt, but the Titans still have to play the Colts twice, and Denver...on the plus side, they still get to play the Jags twice.  The big question is can the Titans go 5-0 against Jax, Oak, Arizona, Jax, and Houston?  If they do that, then the Colts games and Denver game won't really matter.  They'll be 9-7 and will hold the tiebreaker over the Jets.  I think this is what it's going to come down to...can Tennessee go 5-3 over its final 8 games?  Because the Jets would then have to go 5-2 over its final seven.     

5-2 is tough. I see a split with the Dolphins. I can see them losing in Carolina (not definitely sure they'll lose but...I'm more than just leaning loss. I think they'll beat the Raiders and Bills...but I can see a hiccup against Cleveland or Baltimore. Especially in Baltimore where we don't have much of a track record but never play well in.

4-3 the rest of the way. I think 9-7 is pretty much where they're headed. We just gotta hope Tennessee doesn't get there either (I'm fairly certain SD wont)

Kind of hoping the Jags are due for a win, and it happens against Tennessee. I mean it is actually hard (and pretty rare) to have an o-fer season. Detroit, Tampa in the 70's. And that's pretty much it when it comes to modern football.

There is also a chance that the Jets and the rest of the WC 2 contenders falter and end up in an 8-8 mishmash. In that case we'll likely be looking at a 14-2 wild card and an 8-8 wild card. Truly bizarre

Edited by '7'

SD's sched is brutal.  Not expecting them to hang around.

This is such a wild race for the #6 seed...Jets look like they can be the best of that bunch, but then they'll turn in an unexpected clunker.  The funny thing, even the teams that look like they have "easy" schedules down the stretch really don't...with the .500ish teams in today's NFL, it seems like any one of those teams can either beat or lose to any of their remaining teams, no matter how good or bad each individual team is.  Jets beat the Pats and Saints, but lose to Pittsburgh.  That kind of sums up what the Jets are right now...a team that can beat or lose to anyone.

I don't think that Buffalo game's easy if Manuel or even Thad Lewis come back.  Buffalo's been playing every game tough despite rolling out a bunch of green QB's and hurt RB's, but Spiller seems to be back on the beam now too.  Plus they always find a way to stick it to us once every year, though usually we do better against them up there than here, and we beat them here.

Sanchez101_zps8ae68aa5.png

MID-SEASON BYE'WEEK REPORT OF THE NEW YORK JETS!!!

SSOOOOOOOO, here we are Jet fans! Half the season in the books, and a bye-week to take it all in. The team looks good, the offense overachieving.. the defense extraordinary, and the coaching best ever. What's there to be unhappy about?

SEASON MVP'S THUS-FAR -- Obviously Mo'Wilk has been the best player on the team, and is ProBowl bound without question. I also think Calvin Pace should get a thumbs-up. He's on pace for a 10 sack season, and has never looked better in this part-time role they have for him. (did we ever really miss Barnes?) Kyle Wilson. For all the flack he gets from the fans, he looks like a different player. I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing. -same for Antonio Allen. That draft pick finally looks playable. Nick Folk! What can you say? The gift from the Cowboys that keeps on giving. Since his last bad game against Tim Tebow's Broncos in 2011, Folk-Hero has made an outstanding 50 for 57 FG's!! (2 of them blocked)
The real MVP of this season goes to MM however. Why the Eagles ever got rid of him, I'll never know.. because he's arguably the main reason Ryan returns next season and beyond! Bravo Marty.. Bravo!

----------------------------------------------------

Looking ahead..

@ Buffalo; Try best I can't see the Jets losing this game.. I just can't. They have 2 weeks to prepare for the Bills, and RR & MM will come up with a good enough gameplan to get the Jets to 6 wins. Holmes, Cumberland & Winslow all return to boot! The "can't win 2 games in-a-row" curse gets broken here. JETS WIN!

@ Baltimore; Yeah.. the Ravens aren't the same team this year. And at least on paper the Jets are better.. but can you really see the Jets on a 3 game winning streak? :glare: Ryan also has a mental block against this team, so the Jets should do a pretty good job screwing this up somehow. Baltimore has the better QB & HC, and will ultimately do just enough to win this game. Jets lose.

vs. Oakland; The Raiders aren't a bad team, they just play in a VERY tough Division. Their run-defense is very good also, and that will force Geno to throw the ball. Here's the good news, since December 2011, Oakland has won only 2 road games out of their last 15! --and this game ain't in the Black Hole! The Jets will make their fair share of mistakes enough to keep this game interesting, and have the Raiders hang around more than they should.. but they'll do enough to beat them in the end. JETS WIN!

@ Carolina; The Panthers are buying into Ron Rivera's system more and more each and every week. They're 5-3, but they really could be 7-1 if things went their way. They lost by 5 points to Seattle, with the refs doing everything possible to give the Seahawks the victory in that game.. and a 24-23 game against the Bills! The Jets don't fair well against mobile quarterbacks either. Cam Newton puts on a show in this one, and puts the Jets down aswell. Jets lose.

vs Cleveland; 26th ranked in running the ball, -vs- 1st ranked run defense. Not a good combination. This game also comes after the Carolina game, and if you've been paying attention this season, the Jets are a pissed off bunch the week coming off a loss. The game's also @ home, so that should help too. The fact that the Jets can effectively stop the run, coupled with the Browns not being able to run the ball will be the whole story. JETS WIN!

vs. Miami x2; These are the 2 games that can decide everything. The Dolphins are a mess right now. They started the season 3-0, and barely did enough to beat Cincy by 2 points to get back to .500 again. Moreover, they have a national distraction in the form of bullying\extortion. By the time the Jets play them, their already horrid o-line will be without: Martin, Incognito, and possibly Pouncey. Conventional thinking would lead one to believe that our d-line should feast the likes we've never seen before. Yet I STILL can't see us sweeping the fish! :argh: The good news is, I can't see them sweeping us either. JETS WIN\LOSE (in either order)

bth_jets.gif

..so let's see if 9-7 is good enough for our Jets to make the playoffs! Let's enjoy this year JetNation, because we've earned it after the last 2 seasons.

Edited by Beezer34

Tennessee just fvcked themselves pretty well.  That was a win they had to have.