2009-2010 New York Jets Thread

RockingTheRed81

...tough lose. (24-23) 'RR went for the 2'pt-cnv at the end of the game (which I agree with) but lost the gamble. As always, Leon was the bright spot of the night. 80 yards, (on 8 touches) a touchdown, and a 47 yard kick return. Looked great for the 1st half.

*With the Giants up next, and the Eagles after that... it'd be nice to win a game before the season starts. Yes I know it's early... yes I know it's BS... yeah, I know it's preseason... but preseason or not, you don't want to go 0-4. :mellow:

The Lions went 4-0 in the pre-season last year.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lions went 4-0 in the preseason last year.

I think the loses in preseason, weigh more than the victories imo. Pulling out wins late throughout the game, only samples that teams depth... when many of those players won't even make the 52 cut. A lose is more glaring because what you're basically saying is, we don't even have the depth.

In other words; I think going 4-0 can be more overlooked (and deservingly so) -vs- going 0-4 means there's more work to be done than originally projected.

I think the loses in preseason, weigh more than the victories imo. Pulling out wins late throughout the game, only samples that teams depth... when many of those players won't even make the 52 cut. A lose is more glaring because what you're basically saying is, we don't even have the depth.

In other words; I think going 4-0 can be more overlooked (and deservingly so) -vs- going 0-4 means there's more work to be done than originally projected.

I agree, to a certain extent... I view pre-season games as nothing more than glorified scrimmages. It's more important to get a look at rookies and young guys and get them game experience. Wins and losses don't mean a whole lot, but I get what you're saying.

DannyWoodhead.jpg

#22; Danny Woodhead

*2 TD's in 3 games... and 221 yards on 39 carries. (5.6 yrd per'carry avg) smiley-shocked013.gif I know Jones, Leon, & Greene are all shoe-in's.... but how do you cut a guy with numbers like that? (preseason regardless) I'd say cut Caulcrick if you can somehow get Woodhead to play FB. It'd be a shame to see this kid go.

- - - - - - - - -

BTW, hasn't Clemens looked good?!?! :w00t: -6 Comp... 14 Attempts... 2 picks. 42 Cmp%. Just 1 TD pass in 3 games. Aint' Kellen Great?!

--EDIT-- The Hired-Gun (slinger) got tapped $10,000.00.... Genius move by Childress calling a play like that for a 40 year old to pull. smiley-gen135.gif

Edited by Beezer34

Can't help but think of Wayne Chrebet when I see somebody like Danny Woodhead. But he is frightningly undersized and I'm not sure he'd be able to run inside against a first team defense.

But he has speed, so there are ways to utilize him. Special teams...gadget plays.

Rhodes would be coorectaamundo! The Jets kept Woodhead.

www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/jets-final-cuts

As I predicted yesterday, they released Caulcrick. (who was our 2nd string backup FB behind Richardson) This means are RB's are: Jones, Leon, Greene, and Woodhead. :noclue: That's 4 too many for one position. With Caulcrick being cut, I could see either Greene or Woodhead being moved to FB. (probably Woodhead, as he will only be brought in for trickplays, and really won't have to scrimmage in a TRUE fullback form)

No other real surprises except for Marcus Henry. I had thought we were going to really beef up our receivers, especially w/o Coles, and seemingly no replacement for Laveranues in sight. I wanted to retain Potter, really like what I saw in him but meh... whatever.

Woodhead waived :(

Reggie Hodges too...but he was just terrible.

Also, from Kerry Rhodes twitter

jet fans expect a big announcement coming soon lol!

http://twitter.com/kerryrhodes

The Jets just traded for Kevin O'Connell from Detroit (former Patriot, Lions picked him up on waivers) so some are speculating Clemens will be headed to Denver with a 1st rounder for Marshall. If not, well at least we have some inside info on the Pats from O'Connell.

Edited by '7'

Woodhead waived :(

-Also, from Kerry Rhodes twitter...

Jet fans... expect a big announcement coming soon. lol!

smiley-shocked032.gif Cryptic-City @ KR's Twitter. "Wow" is all I can say. -wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!! So it looks like I'll be waiting in front of ESPN's website tommorrow like a dog in heat. :D

...also very upset over Woodhead being released. -_- Hopefully Danny makes the Practice'Squad, and remains within the organization.

Although I am very happy we retained Izzo however. :thumbsup: Yes I know he's 35, but he's a big-name veteran, who adds alot of credentials. Anytime you can add a 3x Superbowl Champion who's a multi-ProBowler, you do it. He is a workhorse, who never get's hurt. The last time he missed a game due to injury, was the 1998 season. Since 1999 Izzo's has played the entire season... all 16 games... every single year! Playing behind Harris & Scott, he surely compliments our LB's, and adds instant depth.

*Sidenote: ~Would NOT be a bit surprised (with the way Lito can draw the flags) to see the Jets sign Ty Law for a 3rd outing. Sheppard takes alot of penalties... and with Law's ties with Revis & Tannenbaum, I'd expect to see it happen sometime mid-season. smiley-gen163.gif

jets played very impressively today, especially on defense (and without calvin pace and shaun ellis!) .. mark sanchez looked very confident, especially when the running game wasn't working early on..

and now next week its the Pats at home (is it just me, or do we always seem to open the season vs them?).. ehh, maybe we'll beat them in our house for a change...

Edited by nmigliore

Great game. Sanchez look very good. 272 yards, 1 TD pass, but most of all... the victory. No points allowed by our defense either. (and that's without Pace & Ellis) Nice to start the season off on the right foot.

That being said... when the time of possession is 40 -to- 20 (and you're able to rush for 200 yards) you make life very easy for your quarterback. I'm not taking away from Sanchez, I just want to see more than 1 game. It's only Week 1, let's see if he can do it again.

GO JETS! :thumbsup:

jets played very impressively today, especially on defense (and without calvin pace and shaun ellis!) .. mark sanchez looked very confident, especially when the running game wasn't working early on..

and now next week its the Pats at home (is it just me, or do we always seem to open the season vs them?).. ehh, maybe we'll beat them in our house for a change...

yep, last 4 home openers against NE.

*Another solid game from Sanchez. Not quite the flashier numbers in terms of yards, but another victory. (and no picks thrown this week) The 'D looked fantastic!! Pressured TB all day. Kinda sloppy as far as penalties.. 20 flags thrown total. Almost identical in terms of time of possession @ about 30 -&- 30 each.

*I notice that Schottenheimer is beginning to use Washington on the ground, as much as Jones. Over the last 2 weeks, Jones has only 4 more rushing attempts than Leon, (30 -to- 34) with Jones averaging about 4.6 yrds, and Washington @ 4.1. Today, they had an equal amount of carries with 14. So much for the talk that Leon can't be an everydown back. :rolleyes:

*Also, how about Jay Feely!? You gotta go back to November 2nd of 2008 for the last game when he missed a FG. I remember Nugent used to struggle with the damn PAT's, nevermind FG's. Meanwhile Feely's hit nearly 20 in-a-row since we've signed him. Very under rated kicker. Keep it up Jay! :clap2:

*BTW: '9 consecutive quarters, of regular season football... Jets defense as allowed ZERO touchdowns! smiley-cool06.gif

I am ridiculously excited for the Jets this season after these two games, but I just keep on reminding myself that

1. Sanchez is a rookie, and a young one at that (basically a senior in College)

2. No Injuries yet

It's a long season, but I really think the Jets are the real deal, and Rex Ryan may just be a great coach. Certainly appears better than Mangini at this point.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I am ridiculously excited for the Jets this season after these two games, but I just keep on reminding myself that

1. Sanchez is a rookie, and a young one at that (basically a senior in College)

2. No Injuries yet

It's a long season, but I really think the Jets are the real deal, and Rex Ryan may just be a great coach. Certainly appears better than Mangini at this point.

@ only 22 years of age, Sanchez is a very young rookie, yet he plays as if he's been in the league for years. I keep waiting for him to have a "rookie~game" where he throws 3 picks, and plays like sh!t. Hasn't happened yet. I wanted to wait-&-see early on, despite him playing better than Clemens. I didn't believe it, after all... it was only Clemens. I wanted to wait-&-see during preseason. I didn't believe it, after all... it was only preseason. Then even last week, I still didn't believe it. After all, it's Houston. But after yesterday.... I'm beginning to believe. smiley-gen044.gif

Just enjoy the moment, we're #1 in the Division. Actually, tied for #1 in the Conference. (only Denver & Baltimore are 2-0)

Good start to the season, but the real test is Sunday. New England didn't look too impressive against the Bills.

...bah, we dominated the Cheatriots. That wasn't game, that was a spanking. Houston played tougher.

smiley-gen163.gif -This whole fear\stigma that the Jets (and their fans) carry of: "Oh no, not the Patriots!! We can NEVER beat them!" --I gotta say, I really just don't understand anymore. As a matter of fact, I don't get it at all. Maybe such unease existed during New England's heyday (2001-2005) when they were winning all those Superbowls, and when they were really beating us every time we met. But as of late, since 2006 (which includes NE's 16-0 undefeated season) the Jets have played the Pats a total of 7 times throughout the regular season. We've won 3... they've won 4. Now again, is there some huge deferential there that I just don't see?? Fact is, if we win the rematch in November, we're on our way in turning that bullsh!t around. Granted a Patriots fan could contest that 2 of the Jets victories came against a 50% Brady, and an average Cassel. However, can't Jet fans say the same? (50% Favre ~ Average Pennington) Moreover... exactly how many Championships has New England won since Spygate? According to my count ZERO. That tally seems pretty even too, as of late.

They're not the best team in our Conference anymore, (they're not even the defending Division Champs anymore) and I can say, in all honesty... I fear the Pats about as much as I do any team within the AFC East. In fact if you want the truth, Buffalo scares me more. It's time Jet fans show some moxy. (the kind our coach showcases) *I'll take RR's Jets over BB's Pats; 24-17 come the 22nd of Nov. `New era... new philosophy... new coach... new quarterback... new Jets.

• 2 weeks later...

Jets send Chansi Stuckey, Jason Trusnik, and a draft pic to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards!

Awesome trade, now we have a receiver with true #1 talent that is 6'3 and needs to be doubled. This should open up some room for Cotchery and Keller

Edited by '7'