Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

1. Marty will not accept being a backup, anywhere

2. What team is going to sign Brodeur to be their starter?

no chance he goes anywhere.

And he needs a good defensive team. Imagine he was on a team like Tampa...my god his numbers would be hard to look at. This is just forcing Lou's hand to sign him to a deal he wants.

Edited by Zubie#8

whats scaring me is that it may be worst than we think behind the scene, i know most of us just pretend its okay and look away but potentially it could be really bad.

if Brodeur want to play another season he'd want to have a chance to win the cup, he's not going to toronto

Edited by SterioDesign

Toronto maybe if they strike out on Luongo. Chicago or San Jose maybe.

Chicago and San Jose both have starters. They can't afford to pay starter money to Brodeur unless they fob one of those guys off on another team. Toronto sucks and does Marty really want to deal with that nonsense at age 40? That's why this all seems like a giant bluff.

Honestly just give him 5m, he's earned the right to be a little overpaid. Who are we going to use as a starter that will be any cheaper and any better? Marty had a phenomenal playoffs, he's still got gas in the tank. I don't think now is the time to skimp on his contract.

Honestly just give him 5m, he's earned the right to be a little overpaid. Who are we going to use as a starter that will be any cheaper and any better? Marty had a phenomenal playoffs, he's still got gas in the tank. I don't think now is the time to skimp on his contract.

He's already been overpaid for several years. He's 40. Since 2010, he ranks 40th out of 44 goalies in even strength save percentage. There's no guarantee that he will be a .910 SV% goalie next year. And he's got no options. The Devils want to be a good team, they can't afford to be giving legacy contracts.

All that said, if they settle on $3M, which is still an overpay, fine. But $5.2M? No way.

Edited by Triumph

He's already been overpaid for several years. He's 40. Since 2010, he ranks 40th out of 44 goalies in even strength save percentage. There's no guarantee that he will be a .910 SV% goalie next year. And he's got no options. The Devils want to be a good team, they can't afford to be giving legacy contracts.

This.

All that said, if they settle on $3M, which is still an overpay, fine. But $5.2M? No way.

Problem is, the vast majority of GMs don't think in those terms. There's a lot of groupthink in the NHL. Maybe that's why those that have tended to avoid it -- Lou and Red Wings management -- have been consistently good over the years.

Even Holmgren, who is a pretty good GM, threw a ton of money at Bryz.

The only other thing I wonder from Marty's view is the fear that the Devils are actually good again next year with another goalie, which will lead even more to question how good he actually is. Pop-psychology most likely.

We have 27m in cap space to sign Parise and Broduer and a bunch of spare parts. What else are you going to do with it? Yada yada "the owners have Lou under a tighter cap figure" etc etc, there's still plenty of money to give Marty another year at his rate. Marty was also underpaid for a long time and I'd rather reward his loyalty than split hairs over 1-2m and then also have to scramble to solve our new problem: needing a starting goalie, which will prob cost us around 4-5m anyway.

Edited by squishyx

Its amazing that Lou and the Devils would wait like this with their captain and HOF player...... Did they wait with Crosby? Did the Kings let Quick 'test the waters'? NO....

Brodeur never said he 100% wanted to play next season and the season ended 2 and a half weeks ago and Zach obviously wants to test the market.

Edited by Zubie#8

Problem is, the vast majority of GMs don't think in those terms. There's a lot of groupthink in the NHL. Maybe that's why those that have tended to avoid it -- Lou and Red Wings management -- have been consistently good over the years.

Even Holmgren, who is a pretty good GM, threw a ton of money at Bryz.

The only other thing I wonder from Marty's view is the fear that the Devils are actually good again next year with another goalie, which will lead even more to question how good he actually is. Pop-psychology most likely.

Bryz was a very good goalie, and I think, still is. I don't think GMs around the league are lining up to sign a 40 year old guy - they saw what happened to Roloson last year, and they've seen to some degree what's been happening with Brodeur. Everyone around the league has gotten a guy they think can start except maybe Toronto. And Toronto's a team in a rebuild.

We have 27m in cap space to sign Parise and Broduer and a bunch of spare parts. What else are you going to do with it? Yada yada "the owners have Lou under a tighter cap figure" etc etc, there's still plenty of money to give Marty another year at his rate. Marty was also underpaid for a long time and I'd rather reward his loyalty than split hairs over 1-2m and then also have to scramble to solve our new problem: needing a starting goalie, which will prob cost us around 4-5m anyway.

Try to actually make a profit instead of throwing away $1M on a sub-average goalie? Brodeur hasn't been 'a starting goalie' for 2 years. He had a great playoffs, but that doesn't leave me fully convinced he won't start out the season horrible (again).

Edited by Triumph

As much as I defend Marty against all other hockey fans, he can take a walk if he's looking for 5 mil. He is the best of all time and by far the biggest face of our organization, but if he's going to be greedy and ask for too much then Lou has to let him go. If its the matter of us losing Parise because of it, then see ya later Marty.

Ledger_NJDevils

Devils' financial situation has prevented GM Lou Lamoriello from committing to re-sign Martin Brodeur so he will test market as UFA

is he making this up or he's actually saying the truth... godamnit i cant wait for all this to be over with.

$3M is a pipedream. No way Marty signs for that. Guess what fellas? I think Marty hired an agent partially because he wants a 2 year deal....

A few teams would probably pay him $10M for 2 years...it would create a serious buzz for whatever franchise signed him, and the marketing department would have a field day. Merchandise sale$$$

I think everyone here just looks at pure numbers too much and does not look at the overall picture. The NHL is a business to make PROFIT. CASH MONEY. Even if Marty is only a shell of his former self, he will still generate a sh!t load of cash for whatever team he plays for...

Hopefully it is the DEVILS.

Its amazing that Lou and the Devils would wait like this with their captain and HOF player...... Did they wait with Crosby? Did the Kings let Quick 'test the waters'? NO....

First off, Marty, at this stage of his career is not as good Quick.

Second, the Devils did not "wait" to attempt to get Zach signed to a longterm deal. They clearly tried last July, and they're clearly trying now. Penguins have the money and much less debt so they could afford to give Crosby the massive deal, a massive deal to Malkin next year, and maybe Parise for all we know.

It's easy to talk about loyalty to long-time employees and what not when you're not writing the checks.

I have an issue with this as well. I do not know why Lou has to wait until midnight every time? Teams try to lock up their marquee players BEFORE they can go and flirt with every other team in the league. If Lou is legitimately handcuffed by the financial situation then I accept it. However, I think it is a load of total BS and he just thinks he can play hardball with every player.

We're not going to be close to the cap anyway. Give him $5m just so you do't have to answer questions for the rest of the future of the franchise why you tried to lowball the greatest goaltender of all time fresh off coming 2 wins shy of a stanley cup.

+1

The guy has earned whatever it is he is asking for....(as long as it is his current pay and below)

we've discussed the parise angle a million times on why we're at the point we're at.

as for marty, he's the only one Lou DID negotiate with early so i think he's fine.

First off, Marty, at this stage of his career is not as good Quick.

Second, the Devils did not "wait" to attempt to get Zach signed to a longterm deal. They clearly tried last July, and they're clearly trying now. Penguins have the money and much less debt so they could afford to give Crosby the massive deal, a massive deal to Malkin next year, and maybe Parise for all we know.

It's easy to talk about loyalty to long-time employees and what not when you're not writing the checks.

How hard did they really "try" last summer?!? How hard are they "trying" NOW leading up to the looming July 1 date?!?

Nor do we! Just give him a contract...So you overpay him for one more year. hes been underpaid for much of his prime anyway. Rather lock up a starting goalie just as a sign of stability for Parise to re-sign.

We're not going to be close to the cap anyway. Give him $5m just so you do't have to answer questions for the rest of the future of the franchise why you tried to lowball the greatest goaltender of all time fresh off coming 2 wins shy of a stanley cup.

This, too.

Try to actually make a profit instead of throwing away $1M on a sub-average goalie? Brodeur hasn't been 'a starting goalie' for 2 years. He had a great playoffs, but that doesn't leave me fully convinced he won't start out the season horrible (again).

The Devils took home an extra 30m and a big part of that is the "sub-average" goalie you are talking about. If the team is in that bad of fiscal shape then we wouldn't even be bothering trying to sign Parise and relegate ourselves to a floor team, 1-2m is not going to make or break this team profit wise. Again, who else are we going to put in that spot anyway and at what price?