GDT: Game 2 Isles at Devils 7pm MSG

ZeroGravityFat

Volchenkov actually has been non-terrible since the first period in Pittsburgh though.

No, he's been horrible as usual, getting caught up ice and being flatfooted and lost.   Grabner's second goal happened because he got caught flatfooted too far up and was so out of it he couldn't even take a penalty.   He blows.   He's serviceable on the PK but when the game opens up even a smidge.... watch out.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he's been horrible as usual, getting caught up ice and being flatfooted and lost.   Grabner's second goal happened because he got caught flatfooted too far up and was so out of it he couldn't even take a penalty.   He blows.   He's serviceable on the PK but when the game opens up even a smidge.... watch out.

A lot of guys have been getting caught up the ice.  Even Greene was caught up the ice on one of the Grabner breakaways when Pete started putting him and Harrold on the same pairing.

A lot of guys have been getting caught up the ice.  Even Greene was caught up the ice on one of the Grabner breakaways when Pete started putting him and Harrold on the same pairing.

The positioning is all around bad, but the guys who can't cover ground have to know better.   He doesn't get it, it's not even like he's chasing hits alot of the time.   He's just way too aggressive for his speed and skill level.

Here's the deal, Zajac, Elias and Henrique need to start stepping up their play - plain and simple. It's early but if this keeps up, the Devils aren't going to have a playoff run of any realistic length. I know there has been a lot of criticism of Lou, but without his offseason moves, I think the Devils are in big trouble right now. It's weird to see a bunch of "castaways" leading the Devils while the core is simply treading water. Obviously it's only two games, but I'm going to be watching those three key veterans to see what they bring to the table going forward.That's $15,250,000 in salary cap tied up with Zajac, Elias and Henrique - for multiple years. The cap is going to go up, but I really hope the level of contribution from the aforementioned three goes up as well.

Why don't the Devils convert Zidlicky to a forward? Every time I see the damn guy he's deeking around and sh1t and skating into the offensive zone, why not make him a forward? I don't like his defensive ability but man can he shoot.

Brunner was amazing, god he's so fast.

Ryder was great, beautiful snipe on Nebby.

Larsson pissed me off, Volchenkov did at points and so did Harrold and Sal. Greene was once again the best D man on the ice.

I was in section 215 and we had a sh1t ton of obnoxious Islander fans. They were tormenting this couple of two in front of us and a fight broke out, beers flying etc. Now this is what I saw and I was a fair distance from the so I'm not exactly sure who started it but the Devils fans were trying to stay out of it but the Islander fans kept bringing them in. Security came and had to babysit them. One Islander fan got a teeshirt from the Devil and gave it to the Devils fan behind him, real class.

Just some of my thoughts/experiences, my first time ever driving up there myself with my buddy (I'm 17), many more to come.

Random thoughts from watching the game in-person tonight:

Loved Brunner's game. Clowe does a lot of good things that don't show up in the stat sheet. Marty let in some softies but then made some huge, damn near impossible saves so it kinda balance out. Salvador, as much as I do not like him, had a very good game. Still don't get why Gio plays at all, nevermind gets time on the PK. Would much rather see Olesz or YaYo getting a shot. Volchenkov was hot garbage tonight, but I have no doubt he'll stay in while Larsson will sit. Clearly Larsson just has to anticipate Volch's mistakes so he can get back in time. Fayne needs to play ASAP. Hopefully this 5-game Canada trip will bring the team together and we'll see a more comfortable, polished team when they get back.

Josefson is probably faster than Gionta, though. I don't think speed is the main problem, because otherwise they could just throw Tedenby in there.

At this point, maybe they should (once they can). He may not be the best player, but he'll change the pace of the game up for a few shifts.

Also, I'm watching the replay and just had to post this gem:

"This is what makes exciting so hockey" - Chico Resch

Edited by PWW

Didn't come close to selling out our home opener against a local rival. I'm worried about attendance slipping back to its usual state with a full season ahead of us.

Yep it bothered me a little. I honestly thought it was a sellout. It definitely looked like it was more than they announced.