Preds sign Volchenkov for 1 year/ $1mill

hoekster316

the devils couldn't trade for anton before the start of the season - but midway through, or at the deadline, there's no problem with that.

i think they'd have to get destroyed with injuries for that to happen but its possible.

this deal was done because it was the best chance to get a 2 year contract after this year. it provides him the best chance to prove his worth - moreso than say the islanders or florida.

the devils couldn't trade for anton before the start of the season - but midway through, or at the deadline, there's no problem with that.

i think they'd have to get destroyed with injuries for that to happen but its possible.

this deal was done because it was the best chance to get a 2 year contract after this year. it provides him the best chance to prove his worth - moreso than say the islanders or florida.

I could have sworn there's something in the CBA about the team who bought out the player not being able to re-sign or trade for them in the year following that buyout. Did they take it out in the new one?

What am I on? You need to take a few plays off with that response. Tri was saying how Orpik being on Team USA (a place he had no business being), probably bumped up his contract. I'm responding by saying that thankfully Andy Greene didn't make team USA because the secret would be out (and right now he is one of the best kept secrets in the NHL), and he'd cost the Devils a lot more, either from Greene's agent trying to get more out of the Devils or from him telling Andy to test free agency because he's an Olympian and Olympians get paid.

What negativity are you possibly talking about with regards to Greene?

Not sure what's so laughable about the Salvador comment. Lou loves him. Pete loves him. He's the Devils captain. If he wants to come back, I don't think it be at a salary that's over $2.2 million less than this season.  If Lou was comfortable giving him his contract after 2012, (a very bad contract), I don't think it's laughable to say he might want him back at $1.5 or so.

Okay okay, my bad, benching myself.  I read your comment and I was thinking from Andy Greene's perspective, not the Devils' perspective.  For instance, I'm sure Greene would have loved to be on Team USA (I would have loved it too at the time).  It's because the idiots running Team USA put Shero and Bylsma in charge of building an Olympic team.  I'd put big money on that's why Orpik was even selected.  

The negativity I was talking about was in regards to Sal.  The guy just doesn't have much left in the tank.  Hopefully he can have a decent year for the team's sake.  Most of us at the time of Sal's last signing were okay with it because he just had the fluke of a lifetime in the playoffs and it was more of a reward contract than a "loyalty" contract.  We have 3 young guys pushing out vets right now, and likely more on the way.  If Lou has Greene to be a bridge veteran for this guys, even if Salvador has a great year this year, why would Sal be back at age 39/40?  Just look at Salvador's stats the last two years.  Under his most recent contract, Salvador has not even played half of a full season and has been under in terms of plus/minus both seasons (Not that +/- is a useful stat).  Salvador himself has said in an end of season interview that injuries have been slowing him down.  

Okay okay, my bad, benching myself.  I read your comment and I was thinking from Andy Greene's perspective, not the Devils' perspective.  For instance, I'm sure Greene would have loved to be on Team USA (I would have loved it too at the time).  It's because the idiots running Team USA put Shero and Bylsma in charge of building an Olympic team.  I'd put big money on that's why Orpik was even selected.  

The negativity I was talking about was in regards to Sal.  The guy just doesn't have much left in the tank.  Hopefully he can have a decent year for the team's sake.  Most of us at the time of Sal's last signing were okay with it because he just had the fluke of a lifetime in the playoffs and it was more of a reward contract than a "loyalty" contract.  We have 3 young guys pushing out vets right now, and likely more on the way.  If Lou has Greene to be a bridge veteran for this guys, even if Salvador has a great year this year, why would Sal be back at age 39/40?  Just look at Salvador's stats the last two years.  Under his most recent contract, Salvador has not even played half of a full season and has been under in terms of plus/minus both seasons (Not that +/- is a useful stat).  Salvador himself has said in an end of season interview that injuries have been slowing him down.  

I recall a fair amount of posters being pretty unhappy with the length of that deal. That 3rd year looked real bad at the time and now that we're in that 3rd year, we're being proven right.

I recall a fair amount of posters being pretty unhappy with the length of that deal. That 3rd year looked real bad at the time and now that we're in that 3rd year, we're being proven right.

This is true, but I said okay with it, not thrilled about it.  

I remember being furious about it. Not just the 3rd year. Resigning him at any cost created the 8man defense and blocked the path for larrson at the very least. It also lead to Anton's buyout indirectly so you could argue that it cost the devils even more $.

Pretty sure Laviolette had some input in this signing as well.

It's funny you mention that, Volchenkov always played really well against the Flyers during his time here. I specifically remember him laying a really big hit (either on Hartnell or Giroux) some time in 2012 and the Philly fans went out of their way to boo him the rest of the season and into the playoffs. Flyers fans I know had a specific hatred for Volchenkov around that time haha.. Guess his play rubbed Lavy the right way.

Edited by DJ Eco

I remember being furious about it. Not just the 3rd year. Resigning him at any cost created the 8man defense and blocked the path for larrson at the very least. It also lead to Anton's buyout indirectly so you could argue that it cost the devils even more $.

I don't think the Devils would've gone into the season with a sextet of Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas.  That's the worst part about Salvador leaving after next season, it puts the Devils in the market for a Salvador style D, and there's plenty available.

I don't think the Devils would've gone into the season with a sextet of Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas. That's the worst part about Salvador leaving after next season, it puts the Devils in the market for a Salvador style D, and there's plenty available.

I wouldn't blame them for bringing in a veteran guy who's solid defensively (just not anywhere near orpik term and money), heck I'm a bit worried this year trusting Larsson and Merrill on the pk, but I guess we have to take the training wheels off eventually.

So Volch taking less money because he wants to stay in the nhl is a bad thing? And He isn't even worth a $1 contract?

Great thread.

who said it was a bad thing?.. i said he shouldve taken more money and a better over all contract in the khl for his own good.. would only make sense for him, not like the preds are going to get close to the cup or something so why not hes only going to get these little contracts now

I don't think the Devils would've gone into the season with a sextet of Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas.  That's the worst part about Salvador leaving after next season, it puts the Devils in the market for a Salvador style D, and there's plenty available.

Well as of now, that's the lineup (switch Salvador for Volch). Are you thinking the Devils feel more comfortable with Salvador over Volch and the other 5. In both cases, I think they might want another tough vet signed.

For those asking about the rules on buyouts, you're not allowed to sign that player for a full year since you've bought him out, i'm not sure what the rule is on trades though or if there even is one.

There's no specific rule.  However, Bettman/Daly last offseason sent out a warning to teams that buy-out/immediate trade backs would be viewed as cap circumvention. 

I remember just about everyone being pretty pissed about it. Most were high on Sal because of his playoff performance but when we saw he got three years everyone was like  :o WTF just happened? And then  :argh: .

Well as of now, that's the lineup (switch Salvador for Volch). Are you thinking the Devils feel more comfortable with Salvador over Volch and the other 5. In both cases, I think they might want another tough vet signed.

Yeah, I do.  I mean, Volchenkov was a healthy scratch some nights where Salvador played 20 minutes.  It's clear which guy they think is better.

They'll end up paying the idiot tax next off-season.