Backup Goaltender for Next Season - SCOTT CLEMMENSEN signed

Neb00rs

I'd like to go into next season with a solid backup that can play up to 20 games and fill-in as a starter in case Cory gets inured. 

To me there are a few possibilities I'd like to see:

Keith Kinkaid - Albany

Chad Johnson - UFA (the Bruins give any goalie a boost but he's been really solid)

Anders Lindback - RFA (trade possibility)

Giguere - UFA

Viktor Fasth - 1 year left (trade possibility)

Jhonas Enroth - 1 year left (but there's an overflow of goalies in Buffalo)

Thomas Greiss - UFA

Joey MacDonald - UFA (not an exciting choice)

Al Montoya - UFA

Justin Peters - UFA

Curtis McElhinney - UFA

Darcy Kuemper - RFA  (but there's an overflow of goalies in Minnesota)

Jonas Gustavsson - UFA 

Yann Danis - (just kidding)

Edited by Neb00rs

Gustavsson has been excellent for the Wings in a backup role. 16-5-4, .907 save percentage. I think he may cost more than some other names though, but Id absolutely be thrilled if we had Cory/Gustavsson for goaltenders.

I think they're going to try to go cheaper though and Gustavsson re-signs there.

Edited by ghdi

I'd love to see Greiss here. I think he's excellent as a back-up and could carry the load if god forbid an injury happens next season. He's shouldering the load for Phoenix now and while they've been losing, it really hasn't been his fault.

Gustavsson as a last resort. He only looks amazing against us.

I have a feeling Lou might go the Nabokov route for a year. He's old...but still 3 years younger than Brodeur. May benefit from a lighter work load and facing less quality shots.

Justin Peters was surprisingly solid this year. But I've seen too much of him looking like hot garbage. I'd be afraid of him reverting to that next year

Greiss has been spectacular enough to perhaps earn a starting job next year (NYI?)

Edited by '7'

I hope Lou gets a proven NHL backup for next season. I had hope for Kinkaid to take over that role after his hot start but he's really fallen off in the 2nd half of the year. His SV% to start 2014 was .927 and has fallen to .910 which is just about league average for the AHL. He even lost the starting job as of late to Wedgewood and his sub .900 SV%.

I'd be in favor of just letting Kinkaid start the season as the backup, he's had a great season in Albany and if he's really not working out, it's very easy to pick up a backup goalie in a trade

If Cory goes down, we'd be screwed. 

If Cory goes down, we'd be screwed. 

That's why you have backups, remember Hedberg in the lockout season?  That really screwed us.  Lou is not an idiot, Lou saw that horrible stretch when Marty went down for 2-3 weeks, that's a big reason why Schneider is here now I would assume.  I'd want him, but Greiss is due for a starting job, because he has been great behind Smith in Phoenix and even before that, behind Niemi in SJ.  NYI is actually a very possible destination and I'd like to see him go there.  I would take Nabakov because he really got the short end of the stick and a good amount of the blame for the playoffs troubles of San Jose.  Chad Johnson, no.  No way jose.  He will get paid for his good season in Boston,  but he's playing in front of a team defense that has allowed less than 175 goals this season.  I remember when Johnson backed up Lundquist, he is not that good.  

The options for a backup next season:  Nabakov, Vokoun, Kinkaid, Peters is a possibility I would like to see here.  Brodeur (Unlikely with his recent comments about the org), and then I'd throw in Lindback as well because it would be interesting.  He's been awful but maybe he just needs the right fit or the right coaching, goalies can turn it around pretty fast as well as sink pretty fast in the course of a season. 

I'd be in favor of just letting Kinkaid start the season as the backup, he's had a great season in Albany and if he's really not working out, it's very easy to pick up a backup goalie in a trade

Not really...he had a great first half or so, but has faded considerably.  fiesty pointed the specifics nicely.

Giguere is interesting...he's started 32 games the last two seasons, but could probably fill in for a while as a full-time starter if needed.  He'll be 37 by the start of next season though. 

Greiss could be a nice pickup, but one wonders why he hasn't gotten a shot at being a 40-50 game starter somewhere yet.  Looks like he's been pretty good...I would think he'd want to find a job where he could at least get a shot at a split. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not really...he had a great first half or so, but has faded considerably. fiesty pointed the specifics nicely.

Giguere is interesting...he's started 32 games the last two seasons, but could probably fill in for a while as a full-time starter if needed. He'll be 37 by the start of next season though.

Greiss could be a nice pickup, but one wonders why he hasn't gotten a shot at being a 40-50 game starter somewhere yet. Looks like he's been pretty good...I would think he'd want to find a job where he could at least get a shot at a split.

I'd be weird as all hell having Giggy come in to more or less replace Brodeur. I agree though.

That's why you have backups, remember Hedberg in the lockout season?  That really screwed us.  Lou is not an idiot, Lou saw that horrible stretch when Marty went down for 2-3 weeks, that's a big reason why Schneider is here now I would assume. . 

I was replying to someone who suggested Kinkaid as the backup. Kinkaid is not an NHL-ready player.

And Cory is here now b/c we had a chance to and literally STOLE him from Vancouver. Had that deal not gone down/Cory been available, its not a stretch to think we'd have signed a UFA backup and rolled Marty out as the starter. We needed Marty's heir and Lou had the opportunity at the right time to get him. 

greiss is the guy i'd target but i do think he's going to get a starting job. then again, maybe lou can get him with a 3 year deal @ 1.5 as a security blanket for cory?

Hopefully he can be our starter when Cory bolts on 7/1/15

I was replying to someone who suggested Kinkaid as the backup. Kinkaid is not an NHL-ready player.

And Cory is here now b/c we had a chance to and literally STOLE him from Vancouver. Had that deal not gone down/Cory been available, its not a stretch to think we'd have signed a UFA backup and rolled Marty out as the starter. We needed Marty's heir and Lou had the opportunity at the right time to get him. 

Aforementioned theft was the first misstep for Gillis in Vancouver....the rest is history. 

With Lou "Age is just a Number" Lamoriello pulling the strings, don't be a bit surprised if they invite Khäbibulin for a camp tryout.

I don't see a lot of resources being put into the back-up role for the Devils heading into next season.. especially if they give Cory a big contract. I think Lou would invite a veteran goalie, couple that with KK & Wedge, and let the cream rise to the top during training camp and exhibition.

Hopefully he can be our starter when Cory bolts on 7/1/15

..the only way Cory dips is if Brodeur returns. There's a high probability that the Devils keep Schneidz long-term.

With Lou "Age is just a Number" Lamoriello pulling the strings, don't be a bit surprised if they invite Khäbibulin for a camp tryout.

I don't see a lot of resources being put into the back-up role for the Devils heading into next season.. especially if they give Cory a big contract. I think Lou would invite a veteran goalie, couple that with KK & Wedge, and let the cream rise to the top during training camp and exhibition.

..the only way Cory dips is if Brodeur returns. There's a high probability that the Devils keep Schneidz long-term.

Even with Marty gone (which seems to be 99.99% at this point), what makes you think Schneider would want to sign long term here?

The team was atrocious this season, and I am sure he is upset with the carousel he had to endure.  I think him starting 60-65 games next year would erase the sour taste a bit, but c'mon...he will have his choice of several different teams with similar financial$.....