2013 World Baseball Cassic Thread

nmigliore

I remember having a thread for the 2009 WBC, so hey, why not?

Pool brackets and standings can be found here.

Schedule and final scores can be found here. All games are going to be on MLB Network.

Rosters can be found on the team pages from the "Teams" dropdown tab.

Pool A and B are just getting started this weekend. In Pool A, Japan defeated Brazil 5-3 earlier this morning. Last night, in Pool B, Chinese Taipei beat Australia 4-1 behind a good outing by Chien-Ming Wang.

Netherlands is facing Korea right now and they have a heck of an infield with Xander Bogaerts at 3B, Andrelton Simmons at SS, and Jonathan Schoop at 2B.

United States opens against Mexico next Friday. GO USA!

Edited by nmigliore

I think the WBC is pointless and stupid but if it's on in the middle of the night and I'm bored I'll watch it. It was great to see Chien-Ming Wang have a great start last night - albeit against Australia. One of my favorite Yankees of all time, Graeme Lloyd, is on the Australian coaching staff which is nice.

I find it comical that Barry Larkin is Brazil's manager and Art Howe is China's hitting coach. It's a shame Yankees farmhand switch pitcher Pat Venditte is limited LHP only for Italy.

I think the WBC is pointless and stupid but if it's on in the middle of the night and I'm bored I'll watch it. It was great to see Chien-Ming Wang have a great start last night - albeit against Australia. One of my favorite Yankees of all time, Graeme Lloyd, is on the Australian coaching staff which is nice.

I find it comical that Barry Larkin is Brazil's manager and Art Howe is China's hitting coach. It's a shame Yankees farmhand switch pitcher Pat Venditte is limited LHP only for Italy.

You got me thinking that it might work if they turned into an amateur tournament similar to the hockey World Juniors.  I remember the old US Olympic teams that had players like Tino Martinez and Jason Varitek (and I'm sure a lot more players that I'm not thinking of).  I was very young at the time, but I remember actually watching it. 

I find it entertaining, especially when the bigger countries play. Dave Cameron brought up an idea to make it single elimination throughout the entire tournament, which would make it shorter and create more excitement, a la March Madness; I agree with that idea.

Hilarious sequence of events happened in the 4th inning of Cuba - China. Erisbel Arruebarruena of Cuba leads off the inning with a bunt, the pitcher, Xin Li, throws the ball into RF and Arruebarruena takes 2nd, and nearly takes 3rd when the RF throws the ball to LF. Well, when he ran to 1st he accidentally stepped on 1B Fujia Chu's foot and he went down in some pain. After a slight injury delay China decides to appeal to 1st, arguing that Arruebarruena  never touched the bag. The pitcher throws the ball to 1st but then the umpires try to explain that he has to take the rubber and then step off to make an appeal. Well he doesn't get it at first and tries it again. Due to the langauge difference they have to bring out the interpreter who then explains the proper way to do it. On the 3rd attempt (1st proper) to appeal to first, the Arruebarruena steals 3rd very easily. Just an odd sequence of events that was fairly comical.

This Mexico/Italy game has been fun. Romo blows the save and Italy grabs the lead. Very rough inning for Edgar Gonzalez in LF, wow.

That 9th inning was nuts. I only caught the last few innings of the game but it seemed like an entertaining one. I was pulling for Italy to win just since it's a non-traditional baseball country though I was pulling for Karim Garcia on the Mexican team. One of my favorite Yankees back in the day.

I'm enjoying the Venezuela - Dominican Republic matchup that's still going on right now even though it's interrupting Netherlands - Cuba. Hard for me to pull for one side over the other since the DR has Tony Pena and Robinson Cano while Venezuela has Luis Sojo.

Wow!  A real mélée in the Canada vs. Mexico game!  Not quite a brawl, but big-time punches were thrown.  The play-by-play guy was great, he said, "Oh no, you don't want to mess with the hockey players!"

And then afterwards it got a little ugly when some (Mexican?) fans threw things at the Canadians.

Ha, I love Crazy Eyes:

Paul Lo Duca ‏@paulloduca16

Just saw #Mexico vs #Canada brawl...I will take @CochitoCruz (Luis Cruz) any day. When you pull that crap...wear it and go to 1st like a man.

But seriously, he's right. Cruz is a tool. Bunting with that score may seem like bush league but with run differential actually mattering, it's absolutely all fair game. I love how he instructed for the next batter to be hit by a pitch and then started throwing punches in the brawl. What a jackass.

Huge game for the US tonight. Come on USA!

Edited by nmigliore

With the US winning last night, that sets up a stellar finale vs Canada at 4pm today, with the winner advancing to the next round and the loser going home. Derek Holland is making the start for the US and Jameson Taillon, one of the best pitching prospects in baseball, is starting for Canada. Should be a great game. Go USA!!

Edited by nmigliore

USA got knocked out by Puerto Rico tonight. Was rooting for USA but it was still bittersweet to see Nelson Figueroa, a former Met, pitch a gem. Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Japan, and Puerto Rico are your final 4 headed to San Francisco.

Edited by nmigliore

I admit I was bemused when I turned on the game just after it ended (too preoccupied with the Devils game) and found out about Nelson Figeuroa being the savior.  

Glad Wright did well when he was healthy but I can't really get into the tournament, unlike the Olympics in the NHL.  Maybe it's because this feels a bit manufactured still, especially with the rules they need to have for pitchers since it's in March.  It would be better if they stopped the season for three weeks in the middle of June the way the NHL does for the Olympics, then you could have guys actually pitching and being in game shape.

Plus this stupid double-elimination format is confusing too.  The double pool they had the first time around was fine.  Not sure what it was four years ago.