Which ex-Devil you want to see next year?

Devil Fan

We have seen former Devils playing for NJ. The list includes Lemieux, Mogilny, Richer, Arnott, Shanny, Holik, Rolston, Janssen, Clemmy and Sykora. Who in your mind will be in our line up next year? Egomez is a possibility if h Habs buy him out. Souray, oduya, Arnott, Langs, maddog are some other possible candidates.

I will place my bet on Oduya.

I'd bet on Oduya. I wouldn't mind him being here again. He learned to be a decent defenseman here, and I think in this organization he can be useful on the back pairing - just not at his money probably. Where are those old pictures of Cam and JOhnny out?

Edited by HellOnICE

Most of those moves haven't really worked out, and I hate the grasping-at-straws perception that comes with those moves.

Lemieux was probably the best of them, in that he added something to the team, even if he clearly wasn't the same player he'd been during his first stay. I remember being thrilled when that trade was announced.

Sykora has been decent, considering his salary and the fact that not much was expected.

But I'd like to see Lou give up on the ex-Devil thing for a while.

Really wanted them to go for Souray at the beginning this year, but I'm not sure how he's been recently. Other than that, I guess just Oduya.

Edit: didn't see TheMazz's post, but that's exactly how I feel about Souray potentially being a mentor for Larsson or even Fayne.

Edited by nessus

I wouldn't see too much harm in bringing Petr Vrana into camp to try to make the team and if he can't allow him to go back to the KHL. He's having a solid year over there for Amur Khabarovsk:

43 GP 17:57 TOI/G 20 G 24 A 44 Pts +18 12 PIM 17.2 SH% 2.7 SOG/G 53.6 FO%

Tied 9th in Points, 9th in Goals, 14th in Assists, and 9th in +/- in the KHL. He's 2nd in Points, 2nd in Goals, 2nd in Assists, 1st in +/-, and 1st on his team with a 53.6 FO%.

I'd rather not bring back ANY ex-Devils, to tell you the truth, not if we don't have to. I don't know what it is with Lou's obsession with going back into the well. Maybe he figures they've seen what it's like to play for more money in a different system and now they're content to come back to where it all started?

Anyway, if I had to pick someone, I'd go with one of the following:

- Oduya, though I'm not sure if I want him at his current cap hit ($3.5M)

- Gomez, but only if the Habs buy him out and he's willing to play here for $1M or less. I do NOT want to trade for Scott Gomez.

- If the goaltending situation changes, bring back Clemmensen. He's not really any better than anyone else out there, but he is a known entity as far as the Devils are concerned. His current cap hit of $1.2 million is reasonable as well.

- Steve Sullivan, assuming he doesn't retire after this year. I will freely admit, though, that this is purely a nostalgia pick.

I'm not sold on Souray, and I definitely don't want any part of Arnott, Langenbrunner, or Madden.

Edited by RowdyFan42

I would love to see if Gomez could come back for cheap if Habs front it. Only to see if he puts up 30 goals on the top line and drive the habs and rags crazy lol.

The Habs can only front half by waiving him, and that's way too much.

If he were a UFA this summer, he'd be lucky to get $1.1 million per.

Id definitely give Gomez a shot on a 1 year deal on the cheap but thats the only way. If I was any other franchise, I wouldnt. That contract is harmful to him.

Really none of these guys though. Oduya seems to be the best of the lot and I also think would be the most likely to come back.