Coming to New York

Stevens_4

Hi there, im a devils fan from the uk and im coming to new york in june for a week and was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions of places to go/ things to see etc, obviously theres all the usual stuff, empire state building etc etc etc but was wondering if theres any other places anyone here would recommend.

Im thinking of going to a yankess game too, wheres a good place to sit? a good way to get there from the times square of manhattan?

Are there any good sports/nhl merchandise stores in manhattan that sell devils merchandise or other nhl/mlb/nfl merchandise/

Thanks for the help :D

Speaking as a former tourist, this was my list of things to see/do in New York:

- get picture of Statue of Liberty

- visit empire state building

- see Time Square

- Rockefeller Centre and NBC studios

- buy a New York Cheesecake

- buy 3 pairs of shoes at the vegan shoe store

- visit the 9/11 site and see the memorial plaques

- go to an off-Broadway play

- visit the infamous Chelsea Hotel

We took a separate day to go to as many Modells as we could to get Devils' gear.

Someone else will have to handle the directions to Yankee stadium. We ran out of gas before even making it to Central Park. :)

You can get from Times Square to Yankee Stadium on the subway for $4 round trip.  Take the S (the grey line on the map) or the 7 (purple) from Times Square (they only go one way from there, so don't worry) to Grand Central.  Now, you can keep going on the 7 and go see a Mets game instead  :whistling:   or you can transfer to a Uptown/Bronx 4 (green) train.  For all of these, you'll need to follow the signs to find the platforms.  The 4 will go to the Yankee Stadium - 161st St stop in the Bronx. 

I have never taken the subway to Yankee Stadium because I've never been to a Yankees game.  However, I have many friends who have and they've made it back in one piece without complaints, so I trust that it's a safe way to go.  Here's a link to a subway map.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the mets are on the road when ill be in new york, they do play the yankees at yankee stadium but unsurprsingly its sold out, theyre at home to tampa bay though so could go to that.

Well what sort of food do you like? What kind of esoteric stuff do you like? What type of stuff do you want to see?

Here is a girly site I like :P Just look for food things - they have great food thoughts :P Not sure you'd be into the fashion crap Daily Candy

Edited by Darwindog

Well what sort of food do you like?  What kind of esoteric stuff do you like?  What type of stuff do you want to see?

Here is a girly site I like  :P   Just look for food things - they have great food thoughts  :P   Not sure you'd be into the fashion crap Daily Candy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well i like italian and american food especially if theres anywhere really good.

Im probably gonan see the usual places like

-Times square

-empire state building

-rockerfeller centre

-statue of liberty

-take a trip on the statten island ferry

-some museums and stuff too (which ones are worth a visit?)

-ground zero

I might have to get some sports merchandise as you can easily get it online from the us but the uk customs charges and import tax is a joke, so anywhere that sells jerseys and stuff would be good

Museum of Natural History is great... you'll need about 2 days for it :D

and for God's sake man.. save your soul... don't drive in the city... you'll age ten years!

I agree Sammy! Yeah, I mean getting around can be tough sometimes. But really, it's the parking that's the biggest hassle. But if you're street savvy, it's fun. Find a meter or look to see when the alternate side goes off, etc. Plug away.

I love the city. I highly recommend this one restaurant. It's called Serendipity 3. This is one of the best places period. A great menu for whatever you want. I think they also make pretty good omelettes. Their black bean soup is excellent. Also, if you like hot dogs, try finishing off a foot long. If you are a dessert person, try a drugstore sundae. They are huge. And you can get virtually anything. But the most famous thing on the dessert menu is the Frrrrozzzen Hot Chocolate. Yes, it's as good as it sounds! This is not your normal dessert. You could share it with three or four people. That's how big it is. And it's well worth it.

There are so many other great choices on the menu. You really can't go wrong with one of their burgers or sandwiches, etc. It's situated on 60th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue on the East Side.

It has a great atmosphere too. There are all sorts of ornaments and decorations when you walk in and a unique gift shop. Usually, you have to make a reservation to get in. Otherwise, you'll be waiting. But it is worth the wait. This is a real great place. If I were taking a date out, this is where I'd go. No questions asked.

So good is this place that it has it's own website. And I recommend it to anyone here to check out because they did such a good job with it.

It's also known that celebrities sometimes go there.

Serendipity 3

I could name some other places like the Upper West Side or East Village in Gramercy Park. If you love walking around and finding nice places to eat out at, both areas are great. The choices are plentiful. Want to go to a good store? Try anywhere on Columbus Avenue by 66th Street and up. There's the great Barnes & Nobles book store on the corner of Broadway and Columbus. There's that great music store which for some reason escapes me at the moment. Best one probably in the city. If you like clothing, you have plenty of choices on that strip. Ditto furniture. Most of all, just walking around being able to look at the high risers is a joy. I was fortunate enough at one time to have a job where I got to go into some of these luxurious apartments that were being worked on. As good as it gets.

There is just so much to do if you are in the city. If I lived there, I'd probably be out every day.

One other area you might want to check out is Brooklyn Heights. This is another rich area but much more relaxed. Yes, parking is tough. I recommend subway. I think the 2 can get you there. Go to Montague Street. That's where most of the good places are. Great restaurants. If you like Japanese, there are a couple of really good ones. Or Mexican? Try Taco Madre. It's affordable and the portions for the meals are solid. Small place but excellent. And my favorite place to go for dessert or for extras is Lassen & Hennig. This is a remarkable store. They have made up salads, dressings, sandwiches, even pieces of cake, etc. It's a really good place.

I'd also recommend another place but I can't remember the name. Damn it. And this one restaurant Henry's End. This isn't on Montague. But it's in the area right off the Brooklyn Bridge. Sometimes, you have to wait. But the menu is top notch. I recommend the duck. And the desserts are out of this world. Try the brownie a la mode.

If you did take the Ferry to Staten Island, I would say go to Clove Lakes. But you'd have to hop a bus for that. It's just a really peaceful park. I love it. On a beautiful day, there's nothing like a walk at the park. Van Cortlandt is very nice too but that's way up in the Bronx.

Is there anything else I should post? How long are you staying?

Edited by Derek21

Well I hate traffic... passionately :P

esp NYC (or LA Traffic)... but what drives me crazy is not only trying to park but when you cave and pay for parking the rates they charge are borderline rape... I find it much easier and less annoying to pub trans my way around NYC, personal opinon from years of dealing with it and now that I don't have to!

Only a tourist drives in NYC. Part of the NY experience is getting a taxi. Its better than half the rides at 6 Flags. The Subway system is easy and also part of the NY landscape. No one drives in NEW YORK.

DO NOT waste your time eating in midtown or near any tourist stop. ONLY TOOLS EAT THERE.

Times Square is interesting, but just take a picture and GET OUT. Get away from the other tourists. Go the Village around Washington Square some great, great restaurant there.

If you are into books you have to go Strand Bookstore and its 18 miles of books - http://www.strandbooks.com/home/

If you go to a Yankee game try to get seats in Section 39 in the Bleachers. The price is right and the atmosphere (even for a game against Tampa) will be exceptional. You won't get to see Monument Park (all of the plaques and retired numbers and stuff) if you sit in the bleachers but you will get a uniquely New York baseball experience. Also, take the 4 train to the Stadium as the view is a real treat (the D train also goes to Yankee Stadium but is always underground).

As for sports merchandise. If you are looking for licensed stuff there is a Modell's on 42nd St between 8th and Broadway (near Times Sq). They will have jerseys, hats, etc from all of the NY teams. If you like basketball there is an NBA Store on 52nd and 5th (http://www.nba.com/nycstore/).

If you like baseball you should try to check out a Staten Island Yankees game (http://www.siyanks.com). They are a Yankees minor league team that plays right next to the Staten Island Ferry terminal. The ferry is cool in and of itself and the view from the ballpark (especially at night) of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan is phenominal.

You also need to have real New York pizza. I reccomend Grimaldi's (http://www.grimaldis.com/). It's in Brooklyn but an easy subway ride from Manhattan.

As for museums, it depends on what you like. I am always a fan of the Museum of TV and Radio (http://www.mtr.org/). NYC has a museum for most interests.

If you spell out your interests more we can better advise you on things to see.

Wow thanks for all the replies (some pretty lengthy ones too - very much appreciated)

All the info sounds great and the serendipity restaurant sounds pretty cool and i think ill check that out.

Will prbably be going to the yankees tampa game as thats the only game i can get tickets for while there, would you recommend going to the early (1pm) or later evening games, going earlier would mean using a whole day pretty much but means not having to travel back on the subway late at night, what would you guys recommend?

Ill be there for 6 nights in all, from monday 20th to saturday 26th june (leaving on sunday afternoon)

I dunno which museums id like to go to, ive been reading through a guide book i got and the museum of natural history sounds good as does the uss interpid (with a good old british airways concorde there too)

Ive also applied online for tickets to letterman (yes we do get it over here but about 2 days later than its broadcast in the us)

Ive been recommended to go up the empire staate during the day and especially at night for the views but ive heard mixed opions about whether to actually go to the statue of liberty or not.

Thanks for the advice, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

I would not worry about taking the Subway back after a Yankee game at night (as long as you don't hang around *too* long afterwards). Your train will be packed with other people from the game. Also, and this is MHO, The Stadium looks better all lit up at night.

You can also try to get Conan O'Brien Show tickets but I don't know what the lead time is for that.

They won't let you go up to the Crown any more. of the Statue of Liberty, which stinks. They will let you go inside again but I am not sure where they let you go and how that works since 9/11. As I said before, you do a very nice view of the Statue from the SI Ferry.

I did the Empire State Building once with family from out of town who would not take no for answer. Personally, I thought it sucked. The lines were long and you have to take a bunch of elevators to get to the top. The view is very cool, but much like the Gateway Arch in St. Louis I am not sure it is worth the effort.

Well apparently the torch was closed in 1916 or something so you must be pretty old!

You cant go upto the crown anymore but you can go inside the statue now (it was closed til last year after 9/11) and up to the base of the actual statue i think.

Yankees game at night it is then, plus ur probably right i imagine there will be a lot of people on the subway from the game.

Wait, the Statue is open again?  Wasn't it closed for a while?

Man, I remember climbing into the torch, at least I think I remember it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't they shut down the torch a loooooooooooong time ago because of safety concerns? I think they've even shut down the crown at this point too...I climbed to the crown when I was like 7 or 8 years old. Crazy ass climb, but it's definitely worth it at the end!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't they shut down the torch a loooooooooooong time ago because of safety concerns? I think they've even shut down the crown at this point too...I climbed to the crown when I was like 7 or 8 years old. Crazy ass climb, but it's definitely worth it at the end!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from the statue of liberty offical site

The Statue's crown is not accessible and the torch has been officially closed since July 1916.

thats a real shame, apparently its a 20 storey climb to the top but i bet it would be an awesome view

Edited by Stevens_4

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it was, but I was a little kid so thats why I'm not sure. So who is gonna look up if when it was closed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check one post above ya sammy :)

1916?  I think that's not accurate.  I'm not that old!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well according to here it is

end of second paragraph