Coming to New York

Stevens_4

also IF you get to go into the statue it's something like 20-25 degrees hotter inside there then it is outside (you don't need to worry about that in the basr part at least)... but IF you can go up which I doubt.... you're gonna sweat!

If you want to see some of the sites, it's probably better to go to a Yankee game at night. This way it doesn't take up most of your day. Plus it will be cooler at night if it's a hot day.

If you want to see some of the sites, it's probably better to go to a Yankee game at night. This way it doesn't take up most of your day. Plus it will be cooler at night if it's a hot day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok sounds good, night game it is then, where would you recommened sitting?

I'd say bleachers. First off, those are the cheapest seats. So, you save money. Secondly, the atmosphere is great. Plus at night, it will be cooler. If not there, then Upper Deck behind the plate.

The RF Bleachers (especially section 39) gives you a uniquely New York baseball experience. Many of the Yankees' loudest fans sit out there and it adds a lot to the entertainment value of the game. However, it has become "cool" to sit out in the bleachers with these "bleacher creatures" as the media calls them so it can be tough to get tickets in the RF bleachers.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you sit in the bleachers you must stay in the bleachers. They are completely cut off from the rest of the Stadium. You cannot go to Monument Park (where all the plaques and retired numbers are) or walk around the Stadium at all if you sit there.

The next cheapest level is in the Upper Deck and is called Tier Reserved in Yankee ticket speak. IMHO, this is the best value in the park especially if you are in the sections behind the plate since you can see the whole field and if it is a thin crowd you can move around to other, more expensive, seats without any problems. The thing to keep in mind if you decide to go Tier Reserve is that people walk in front of those seats all game long so unless you are really tall you want to avoid the first few rows (Tier Reserve rows start at A). Also, you may want to avoid aisle seats as there are constantly vendors walking around that can block your view.

Right ive just bought tickets for the upper deck (tier reserved) section just behind home plate (slightly to right field) and it looks like a good view, id have gone for the bleachers but arent likely to be going to yankee stadium again any time soon so would like to walk round the stadium and monument park.

How do you get to monument park? also do you know where will call is as i have to collect the tickets on game day ( at pac bell park they were just automated machines in willie mays plaza)

Will Call is at the opposite side of the Stadium as where you get off the Subway.

When you get off the Subway you will see the Stadium on one side of the street and a row of shops on the other. Stay on the Stadium side of the street and follow the Stadium down that street, past the bleacher entrance. When you get to the first regular gate (gate 6) make a right to keep following the Stadium. You will walk past the outdoor foodcourt thing and see a bunch of windows. The ones on the far right are will call iirc.

To get to Monument Park from there:

To the left of the Ticket Windows is Gate 4.

When you walk in you will be roughly behind the plate.

Make a left and walk towards left field.

The entrance to Monument Park is Section 36. There is generally an usher there to direct you through if there is not a line (but there is almost always a line). Gates at Yankee Stadium open two hours prior to the game (so 5:05 for a 7:05 game) and Monument Park closes 45 minutes before the first pitch.

It is also worth checking out the Yankees team store on the first level behind the plate. They have almost everything you could want with a white interlocking NY on it.

The best gate to use to get back to the Subway is gate 2 which is in left field near Monument Park.

Also, food at Yankee Stadium is generally terrible and/or over priced so I would highly reccomend eating before hand. The best value food at the Stadium is the popcorn. If you get it when it is freshly popped it is excellent and you get a huge tub of it for $5.

Edited by PeteyNice

Thanks all for help, will make sure ur print off your directions for when i get there, what time would you recommend leaving from grand central for the game? (7pm start)

Well, I mean if you were just going to the game, you could hop the train between 5:30 and 6 to get there.

But you also want to get the whole Yankee Stadium experience. They open the gates earlier now for batting practice. And of course, you probably want to tour Monument Park. So, I'd leave between 4 and 4:30. This way you're there almost two hours before the game and can check out all the cool stuff. Plus you should check out Stan's Sportscards and Memorabilia outside. It's really cool. The atmosphere outside is great. Hopefully, you get a perfect night.

One other thing to keep in mind. While they are generally cool about letting you bring in food and soda or water or whatever they will not let you bring backpacks or other large bags in. If you really want to bring a backpack you can check it at a place across from the Stadium for $5.

Edited by PeteyNice

please tell SAF to stick with howard for the cup final!!and get going on erecting that reyna statue in city centre.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah howards good but can he get away with stuff like this

wbunited_narrowweb__200x260.jpg

.. ok no idea why that image hasnt appeared :argh:

Edited by Stevens_4

Museum of Natural History is great... you'll need about 2 days for it :D

and for God's sake man.. save your soul... don't drive in the city... you'll age ten years!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i think im deffo gonna go there, cnat really afford to spend 2 days there though and that new space thing looks very impressive, especially at night from what ive seen

• 5 weeks later...

OK well in 2 weeks ill be in new york so just trying to work out what to do when im there and when to get as much stuff in as possible.

Were planning to try and see:

Times Square/Rockefeller Centre/NBC

Natural history Museum

Central Park

Empire State Building Day/Night

Shopping/5th Avenue

Brooklyn Bridge

Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island

Ground Zero

Yankees Game

USS Intrepid Museum

Guggenheim/Met Museum

Any suggestions based on this as what best to see at these places and any other advice etc.

Id also like to go to a broadway show or sumthing, anything you guys would recommend? Im not too fussy really

The blue man group looks interesting? any thoughts?

And any other ideas of what to do at night, im staying at 39th/Lexington nr Grand Central and the Chrysler Building.

Also whats the weather like this time of year?

Thanks in advance for all the help

Edited by Stevens_4

MMM. I'll rec stuff u can get tickets on ticketmaster for (i mean you can get tickets from brokers for anything depending on dollars u want to spend)...but you should be able to get tickets for the following i reccomend. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Avenue Q, Hairspray, and The Producers. Those are all musicals. For plays you shoul dbe able to get tix to Glengarry Glen Ross, phenomenal. THe pillowman was great too. Telecharge.com

The weather. This week's been a hot 85 - 90, I don't know what that is in celsius, but I'd assume like 26, 27.

The Blue Man Group is not for everyoone. Some like it. Some hate it. Im in the middle, it was just eh. Take in a broadway show, there's nothing like a story told on stage. Blue Man is a concert.

MMM. I'll rec stuff u can get tickets on ticketmaster for (i mean you can get tickets from brokers for anything depending on dollars u want to spend)...but you should be able to get tickets for the following i reccomend. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Avenue Q, Hairspray, and The Producers. Those are all musicals. For plays you shoul dbe able to get tix to Glengarry Glen Ross, phenomenal. THe pillowman was great too. Telecharge.com

The weather. This week's been a hot 85 - 90, I don't know what that is in celsius, but I'd assume like 26, 27.

The Blue Man Group is not for everyoone. Some like it. Some hate it. Im in the middle, it was just eh. Take in a broadway show, there's nothing like a story told on stage. Blue Man is a concert.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The pillowman sounds interesting, i quite like jeff goldblum too, but the tickets arent cheap, $91.25, $71.25. Is that a lot for a broadway play?

Any other recommendations? Id prefer a play to a musical i think

Those are about the prices for a bway play. Most of hte other shows you'll find will be around the price rage, although most should have tickets in the lower range. I really reccomend the musicals I mentioned. I've seen most of the ones on broadway and those are teh best ones right now you can get tickets for. Spamalot is fantastic, but you can't get tickets without selling a child. IM at DEVSRUL4 if you fancy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, well im back home after my week in new york and got to do pretty much everything apart from go up the empire state building at night, we got there about half ten and theyd stopped letting in anymore people then. Anyway thanks for all the advice and here are some of the pics i took ..

New York Gallery

Let me know what you think of the gallery

Thanks guys, im gonan add some pics from other trips too when i get chance, i like the new software too, is a lot easier on the eye.