My Offseason Proposals

Devils Pride 26

I have a couple of possible offseason configurations here starting with the one I think most people want to see. Basically bringing back Zach, re-signing the majority of our UFA/RFA with the exception of letting Salvador walk. Under this proposal we would still have $8M in cap space left, but I wonder how much of the Devils can spend especially when you consider Kovalchuk starts bringing home $11M in salary next season. Also must take in consideration of the possibility Parise gets a front loaded contract too (although I doubt the possibility of that happening this year).

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.500m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($1.500m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Steve Bernier ($0.750m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.750m) / Ryan Carter ($1.000m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($2.500m)

Peter Harrold ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)

Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,254,166; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $8,045,834

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, the more unpredictable scenario is what to do if Zach walks. I can't remember who said it, I believe it was sundstrom who kept bringing up that Henrique had become Parise insurance. They play a bit similar games with Henrique possessing some better tools, namely his shot. I think the obvious thing to do is bump up Henrique and try to add depth, solidify your lines. Hulder is one of the few 20+ goal scorers who may fit well and be affordable. Gomez is a classic buy low move. Low risk, I think if you toss him out on the power play he would be able to pick up quite a few points. If Parise does leave, I think you also have to take a very close look at Tedenby and see what he's got this year. Brad Boyes is another player I could see Lou bringing in relatively cheap. Our defense is what it is at this point, maybe you try and move Volchenkov but I think that would be pretty tough to do.

FORWARDS

Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Jiri Hudler ($3.500m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Scott Gomez ($1.000m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($1.500m) / Ryan Carter ($1.000m) / Steve Bernier ($0.750m)

Stephen Gionta ($0.750m) / Eric Boulton ($0.066m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Mark Fayne ($2.500m)

Peter Harrold ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)

Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,157,916; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $8,142,084

I am going to ask that your posting rights be revoked for suggesting Gomez be signed. NFW I cannot think of a player that is the anti-devil right now. This team succeeded by grinding and winning 1-1 battles in the corners. After Avery retired, he moves to the top of my list of players I don't want to be a Devil.

I am going to ask that your posting rights be revoked for suggesting Gomez be signed. NFW I cannot think of a player that is the anti-devil right now. This team succeeded by grinding and winning 1-1 battles in the corners. After Avery retired, he moves to the top of my list of players I don't want to be a Devil.

You cannot allow emotions to get in the way of making decisions that can help a team. After seeing the Devils re-sign Sykora last offseason, anything can happen. The dude bailed on his teammates sitting out playoff games. If Gomez comes back and say gets a tryout and performs, you would be extremely stupid to hold a grudge against player that can help your team win. Gomez isn't a kid anymore. I would hope that he has matured a bit.

You cannot allow emotions to get in the way of making decisions that can help a team. After seeing the Devils re-sign Sykora last offseason, anything can happen. The dude bailed on his teammates sitting out playoff games. If Gomez comes back and say gets a tryout and performs, you would be extremely stupid to hold a grudge against player that can help your team win. Gomez isn't a kid anymore. I would hope that he has matured a bit.

I agree. Gomez, in the right situation with the right players can probably still be an effective playmaker.. Given his mediocre performances in Montreal, he'll definitely be available on the cheap and would probably want to return to the team where he had the best years of his career. And he'll finally be able to live up to "See you in Newark!"

Edited by RSC

Im absolutely for Gomez returning here on the cheap and getting a chance. He was a good player here and it gives him a chance to redeem himself. I think its hilarious and I have no remorse for him and what his career has become, but I am absolutely not against him returning on the cheap. For 1M, its a worthwhile risk espc for us. Even better if he comes on a two-way haha.

Holik came back, Gomez can too.

if Zach walk i'd rather give a legit top 6 try to Tedenby before shopping

not necessarily a lineup i'd want to see but this is the worst case scenario without having to shop and losing zach and resigning a few players that we already had. Its still a decent NHL lineup with 16m in cap space, then you have LOTS of money to make a run a free agents at the trade deadline like Iggy, Perry, Getzlaf, Lupul, Streit,Roy, Visnovsky...

FORWARDS

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Mattias Tedenby ($0.875m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($1.500m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($1.000m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.751m) / Steve Bernier ($0.700m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m)

DEFENSEMEN

Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) / Mark Fayne ($1.000m)

Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m)

Alexander Urbom ($0.857m)

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($4.000m)

Johan Hedberg ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS

------

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,186,333; BONUSES: $572,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $16,113,667

There's no way Tedenby is going to go from a mediocre AHL season to legitimate NHL second-liner. I suppose you could make the argument that Henrique essentially did it, but unless Tedenby learns to use his size and speed better, I don't see that happening.

If Lou believed in it, which i know he doesn't, I would offer sheet Tuukka Rask now. Boston having cap problems, and i think Rask would be a perfect pick.

Who is going to play for Boston, Turco? They are keeping Rask with or without Thomas. Even if they have major cap issues there is no way they are losing that goalie.

Edited by Zubie#8

There's no way Tedenby is going to go from a mediocre AHL season to legitimate NHL second-liner. I suppose you could make the argument that Henrique essentially did it, but unless Tedenby learns to use his size and speed better, I don't see that happening.

Yep. Along with Palmieri, he was given a spot on the team out of camp and played his way off it. Can't trust him with anything at this point.

As for messing with the chemistry of the fourth line, a lot of people are going to be upset when they aren't performing in the regular season game in and game out the way they did in the playoffs. While they will be much better than what we iced last year, they got very lucky in the playoffs. They made their breaks. But if you expect the fourth line to score a big goal every third game, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

sd, I'd rather have Urbom playing mega minutes in Albany until there is an opening in the top six.

Hudler is interesting, I was so on board with Parenteau I never gave Jiri any thought but he has great hands and would only get better playing one a line with say Zajac and Zubrus.

As for Gomez it's unfair to compare him to Sykora this year, giving an ex-devil a try out doesn't mean he's just going to produce all of a sudden. Remember, it took him over a year to score

one goal. if we were bringing in a forward to replace Sykora I'd rather sign a young, eager to perform forward (A.K.A not Gomez)

Gomez hasn't been bought out yet and because he ended his season on the IR he has to agree to it. He absolutely should agree to it because otherwise he's going to be riding buses in the 'A'... However, once his buyout is official he will be back. You can book that.