GDT: Rags @ Devils Part 5: Revenge of the Indoor Cats - 7 pm

Neb00rs

i don't see the Devils calling anyone up really, especially for weekend games. Albany is in the thick of a playoff race.  I don't thnk Lou wants to disrupt that. With that said, they have some games on Mondays/Tuesdays when Albany doesn't typically play, then I'd imagine they might call someone up or two.

You have to assume if Albany gets in, and they probably will, Merrill and Gelinas will play for them. I'd wonder given the Devils fallout of contention if not this week, but perhaps next, if they get sent down early....

A-Devs are a near lock to get in.  I cannot imagine however that they will be sent down early.  Once NJ is officially eliminated from the playoffs, they'll bring up their remaining callups - I expect it'll be Sislo Larsson and Boucher.

Albany is 6 points up with 12 to play, and there's only one team that can legitimately overtake them.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be nice to see Cory get the majority of games once they're realistically out of it but they'll probably give Marty almost all the home starts which is fine.

As I said a few weeks ago: if Marty ends up starting 40/41 games, I am fine with that.

You're also fine with missing the playoffs, as apparently the entire Devils organization is.

Oh please, the Devils aren't going to miss the playoffs because of Marty. The Devils are going to miss the playoffs because they are 29th in the league in scoring. Marty played bad for awhile and the Devils still pulled out wins. Schneider has had a losing record for much of the season even though he played well. Clearly our losses can't be attributed to goaltending.

Oh please, the Devils aren't going to miss the playoffs because of Marty. The Devils are going to miss the playoffs because they are 29th in the league in scoring. Marty played bad for awhile and the Devils still pulled out wins. Schneider has had a losing record for much of the season even though he played well. Clearly our losses can't be attributed to goaltending.

Yes, 'clearly', even though a better goaltender would've won more games than Brodeur did with the goal support he had.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484278

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484703

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400485027

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484650

these were horrific efforts and all on Marty. We got 1 point out of a possible 8 in these games. Even if we got 5 out of a possible 8 everything would be different now. I'm not even including the first home game against the Isles where we should've had 2 points or the Calgary disgrace early this year where he gives up a soft late goal.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484278

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484703

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400485027

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400484650

these were horrific efforts and all on Marty. We got 1 point out of a possible 8 in these games. Even if we got 5 out of a possible 8 everything would be different now. I'm not even including the first home game against the Isles where we should've had 2 points or the Calgary disgrace early this year where he gives up a soft late goal.

I don't doubt there are games that would have gone differently if a million things about the game were different. Marty has not had the effect ya'll are making him out to have had. He had already lost his skill in 2012 and we got to the finals. The losses are on the entire team.

Yes, 'clearly', even though a better goaltender would've won more games than Brodeur did with the goal support he had.

Complete speculation. You have no idea how Cory would have played in those games.

I don't doubt there are games that would have gone differently if a million things about the game were different. Marty has not had the effect ya'll are making him out to have had. He had already lost his skill in 2012 and we got to the finals. The losses are on the entire team.

Complete speculation. You have no idea how Cory would have played in those games.

In bold:  not really.  In 2011 and 2012 he was very good in the second halves of both seasons, and pretty consistent.  Last year and this, there's been some isolated bursts of good play, but no really extended stretches.  He's been a barometer of the Devils in a lot of ways this season...you just don't know what you're going to get from them from night to night.  The outcomes of their games almost feel completely random at this point.   

We never really looked in this game.  I didn't go, but watched the whole game with some friends over a few beers and grading papers.   It sucked.  I hate the fvcking Rangers, but they were and are a much better team than us. 

I don't see that at all.

In bold:  not really.  In 2011 and 2012 he was very good in the second halves of both seasons, and pretty consistent.  Last year and this, there's been some isolated bursts of good play, but no really extended stretches.  He's been a barometer of the Devils in a lot of ways this season...you just don't know what you're going to get from them from night to night.  The outcomes of their games almost feel completely random at this point.   

I don't know, I kind of felt that way in 2012. Actually, I felt like he had lost it in 2011. It was a shock really because I was so used to him saving everything - he just started to let in bad goals. I figured it was a slump and it would turn around but it just got worse and became clear he was nearing the end. In 2012 Marty started 59 games and had a .908 save percentage. We still made the playoffs and easily.

I don't know, I kind of felt that way in 2012. Actually, I felt like he had lost it in 2011. It was a shock really because I was so used to him saving everything - he just started to let in bad goals. I figured it was a slump and it would turn around but it just got worse and became clear he was nearing the end. In 2012 Marty started 59 games and had a .908 save percentage. We still made the playoffs and easily.

He was .920+ in the second half of both the 2011 and 2012 seasons (in 2012, that extended into the playoffs (a total run of about 50 games)...he was over .920 for the Cup run until the final game knocked him down to .917 for the playoffs). 

The 2012 run was a surprise, because until it happened he looked like he was finished.  October-December were hard to watch. 

The rough first halves of 2011 and 2012 were signs of things to come...in 2013 and 2014, he's had several prolonged stretches of .880ish play that have been very hard on the eyes.  The 10-game burst that lasted about a month has made this year look better for Marty than it's really been. 

He was .920+ in the second half of both the 2011 and 2012 seasons (in 2012, that extended into the playoffs (a total run of about 50 games)...he was over .920 for the Cup run until the final game knocked him down to .917 for the playoffs). 

The 2012 run was a surprise, because until it happened he looked like he was finished.  October-December were hard to watch. 

The rough first halves of 2011 and 2012 were signs of things to come...in 2013 and 2014, he's had several prolonged stretches of .880ish play that have been very hard on the eyes.  The 10-game burst that lasted about a month has made this year look better for Marty than it's really been. 

I can't really disagree with any of this. Marty is certainly worse this year than last and so on....All I'm saying is that when playing either goalie hasn't proven to make us more successful this season, I don't see it as such a big deal to start Marty in half of the games remaining. I would not have said that at the start of the year, but I said it with 15 games remaining and now. I see nothing wrong with saying 'what the hell' at this point. It doesn't mean we'll throw away the season at all, because again, I don't think either goalie has has given us a better chance to win lately.

I can't really disagree with any of this. Marty is certainly worse this year than last and so on....All I'm saying is that when playing either goalie hasn't proven to make us more successful this season, I don't see it as such a big deal to start Marty in half of the games remaining. I would not have said that at the start of the year, but I said it with 15 games remaining and now. I see nothing wrong with saying 'what the hell' at this point. It doesn't mean we'll throw away the season at all, because again, I don't think either goalie has has given us a better chance to win lately.

I don't see why this is in the future tense - we HAVE thrown the season away.  Given that, just let them all be Marty in Montreal starts, who cares.

I don't see why this is in the future tense - we HAVE thrown the season away.  Given that, just let them all be Marty in Montreal starts, who cares.

You know you're being dramatic here. Why so upset? This team performed about as well as it could with either goalie in net. We didn't throw the season away, we just don't have that great a team.