Your thoughts on our chances to re-sign Clarky

SterioDesign

My bad, you clearly demonstrated that he is selfish, and incredibly selfish at that.

I agree with you, I don't think Clarkson is selfish. I think he just has terrible on-ice vision. Whenever he sees the open man, he makes the pass - the problem is that he usually doesn't see them. And whenever he can't find a pass, is next options are a) Shoot high, b) Shoot low, c) Shoot in a random direction/Wrap around (if behind net), or d) Toe drag.

To be fair, he has also somewhat successfully implemented the bank-off-the-boards-to-the-d-man play into his game. The problem is that he does it a little too much and teams read it easily, getting in front of the d-man before he can make a decent shot. Also, our d-men aren't particularly good shooters.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are going to have more cap space than we think this summer. I have a feelin tallinder gets traded at some point and that a-train might get bought out. Maybe not both, but I think at least 1 wud happen. Back to perry. I just don't see Lou offering anyone above 6m a season unless they have played for the team and he knows that they are compatible.

I would assume so, but we can all dream, right? My point was more that even if we resign EVERYONE and the pay decreases to Elias and Zubs only just negate the increases to Henrique and Clarky, we'll still have a decent amount of cap space. I seriously doubt Tallinder is here the day after the trade deadline. Volch, we might keep him around, but he's definitely the best candidate for our amnesty buyout, so we may drop $7.5M in cap space right there, giving us a minimum of about $10-11M in cap space. If we signed only one player, we could make a splash, though I doubt that we do.

OK, but this was a terrible deal lol.  We can't compare what the Devils should offer Clarkson to some other team who signed a horrible contract.  No way I see Clarkson leaving.  Yeah it's just an opinion, but that's all we can go off of for now.

saddly that's the way it works, agent will use bad contracts to justify what their clients are worth. 

Teams have scouts and the cap is low next year.   It's possible he could get that kind of money, but 1) he's going to have to pick it up, and 2) it might not come from a desirable place.    He's also not an A1 priority UFA, the guys that will get the money even in a dried up market.    Clarkson is the kind of guy that can come back to burn you hard if you give him too much money.

I don't think Clarkson's coming back.  I think he's going to get paid more to play elsewhere.  Toronto wouldn't surprise me.

They have $47M on the books for 13 guys.  $42.5 for 12 if they buy out Komisarek.   Kadri is playing well and he has a high ELC hit.   They only have two roster d-men signed if they buy out Komisarek.    If they want to pay $5M for Clarkson, go ahead

saddly that's the way it works, agent will use bad contracts to justify what their clients are worth. 

That's not how it works.  Comparables don't mean anything in UFA.  It's what teams are willing to pay.

Capo:  Toronto has plenty of wingers.

That's not how it works.  Comparables don't mean anything in UFA.  It's what teams are willing to pay.

Capo:  Toronto has plenty of wingers.

Tri.  What would you give Clarkson in your mind, if you were the Devils? 

Toronto is one of those teams that are constantly turning things over.  Nothing surprises me with their moves.  Just like Philly and the Rangers...

They'd have $18M to spend, they would only have 2 defensemen signed with the buyout, a bunch of young guys on RFA deals, and you think they're going to spend $5M on Clarkson?

It's going to be a bound market next year, even with the buyouts.  

I never said he was signing in Toronto.  I said it wouldn't surprise me.  I still do not believe he will be back.  They don't call it the Free Agent Frenzy for nothing...  Someone will give a tough guy who can score a lot of money and it won't be Lou.

It's hard to have a frenzy when no money is there to be thrown around.   Ask Kovy, who is one of the biggest players ever to go UFA, and he managed to drum up two suitors, which were the same two suitors that were trying to trade for him.   Brian freaking Rolston had half the league trying to sign him.

Edited by maxpower

I never said he was signing in Toronto.  I said it wouldn't surprise me.  I still do not believe he will be back.  They don't call it the Free Agent Frenzy for nothing...  Someone will give a tough guy who can score a lot of money and it won't be Lou.

If he does decide to walk then trade him now and let the trade partner worry about UFA.

It's hard to have a frenzy when no money is there to be thrown around.   Ask Kovy, who is one of the biggest players ever to go UFA, and he managed to drum up two suitors, which were the same two suitors that were trying to trade for him.   Brian freaking Rolston had half the league trying to sign him.

I'm sure it's part of the reason Zajac signed like five minutes after the lockout ended.  Of course that looks smarter on his part by the day market or no market :P

thats absolutely not true, absolutely not.

It's an open market.  'Sorry, we won't pay you more than player X' - what are the odds that 6 teams say this?  Once a player reaches UFA, all comparables don't matter, and it's just about establishing what the market will pay and having the player sign on the dotted line.

Tri.  What would you give Clarkson in your mind, if you were the Devils? 

This is such a tough question because he's exploded this year in all respects.  The Elias-Clarkson unit is all over teams.  Clarkson takes so many bad shots so that has to add to it but still that line is getting 60% of the shots when they're on the ice.

I think I'd offer either 7 years at 3.75M or 4 years at 5M.  The 7 year deal is obviously a risk but by the time that becomes ugly, the cap should be around $80M and while I don't anticipate the Devils being a cap team in this scenario, it's at least by the time the Kovalchuk contract starts to fade.

If he does decide to walk then trade him now and let the trade partner worry about UFA.

If the Devils continue to fall that is extremely possible.  I don't think Lou will sit and weight to see if he can sign him and there is no way he is going to sign this close to free agency.

If the Devils continue to fall that is extremely possible.  I don't think Lou will sit and weight to see if he can sign him and there is no way he is going to sign this close to free agency.

If Perry won't sign with Anaheim we could roll the dice and package Clarkson and a prospect for him. Perry has his own set of headaches with him being a UFA, but we can also package for something else I assume.

If Perry won't sign with Anaheim we could roll the dice and package Clarkson and a prospect for him. Perry has his own set of headaches with him being a UFA, but we can also package for something else I assume.

The Devils should trade him for Adam Burish, who is cost controlled at a very team friendly 1.85 million cap hit for the next 3 years.

Didn't take long for this thread to quiet down.

Last 13 GP haven't been kind to Clarky:  13 GP, 0 G, 2 A, -7.  He's averaging 2.69 Shots Per Game over that stretch.  (He was at 4.28 before this tail-off).  If he never picks it back up, it'll be interesting to see if the Devils make an offer, and what that offer might be.  I think people at the very least are trying to figure out who the real Clarkson is.