Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Captain K is back.  2 more for David today.

and he looked horrible on both.

Yes Wright is a 2nd tier guy, he'll never be a true game wrecker like Miguel Cabrera or Mike Stanton. But I feel bad for him not getting the support from this organization. I'm not mad at him anymore. He is who he is and we're lucky to have him.

If he had another hitter of his ilk batting next to him in the lineup we wouldn't even notice most of these 1-15 type slumps (which ever batter goes through) because the other guy may pick him up.

Edited by '7'

Ike homers and once again buys himself another week of at bats.

He's now 7-for-29 (including today's for 2-for-3) in his last 9 GP, with one HR and seven RBI.  12 K and 1 BB in that time.  This is what passes for scalding hot if you're Ike Davis.  And yeah, he's getting at least another week of ABs off this "hot streak". 

Kinda funny Harvey could actually get a win today. 

and he looked horrible on both.

Yes Wright is a 2nd tier guy, he'll never be a true game wrecker like Miguel Cabrera or Mike Stanton. But I feel bad for him not getting the support from this organization. I'm not mad at him anymore. He is who he is and we're lucky to have him.

If he had another hitter of his ilk batting next to him in the lineup we wouldn't even notice most of these 1-15 type slumps (which ever batter goes through) because the other guy may pick him up.

He's 8 for his last 48 since May 20 (including today so far), with 3 BB, 12 K, 1 HR and 1 triple over than span.  No doubles.  Like I said, I wouldn't be as concerned if Wright wasn't prone to disappearing for long stretches.  This could turn into a 2011-type season in a hurry. 

In fairness 7, the Mets could still win this one...not like the Marlins are any sure bet to close this game out.

That being said...with a move like that, re: Rice, I'm sorry, as much as I've felt for Collins and the fact that he's saddled with an idiot GM who does nothing to make his job any easier, fire Collins today as far as I'm concerned.  That was so friggin' amateur.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I miss Jose Reyes

Ask the Blue Jays how that worked out for them.  Too much of an injury risk. 

Ask the Blue Jays how that worked out for them.  Too much of an injury risk. 

He's still light years better than anything we have. He was perfectly healthy and very good last season (4-win season), not to mention his injury was a fluke accident on a slide; that could've happened to anyone. 

Make no mistake, I didn't want him resigned for what he got paid for at the time, but given the rising cost of wins around baseball, that contract is actually pretty solid, at least enough to accept the injury risk that comes with Reyes. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but it sure wouldn't be bad to still have he and Wright here; 2014 and beyond would look a lot brighter.

Edited by nmigliore

He's still light years better than anything we have. He was perfectly healthy and very good last season (4-win season), not to mention his injury was a fluke accident on a slide; that could've happened to anyone. 

Make no mistake, I didn't want him resigned for what he got paid for at the time, but given the rising cost of wins around baseball, that contract is actually pretty solid, at least enough to accept the injury risk that comes with Reyes. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but it sure wouldn't be bad to still have he and Wright here; 2014 and beyond would look a lot brighter.

He was very good last season, but just like some guys have the "knack" for coming up big in big spots (the Reyes-Wright Era was much the opposite), others have a knack for getting hurt.  Yeah, Reyes' injury was flukey, but the guy has a way of getting hurt and missing games.  This is the fourth time in five years that he will see a significant number of games lost due to injury.   

I was in favor of Reyes leaving for two reasons:  1) the price of his contract and his penchant for getting injured, and 2) I just felt like the Reyes-Wright thing had run its course.   

That being said, yeah, goes without saying that he's light years ahead of what's currently here, when he's healthy enough to play.  But like I said, I think Reyes and Wright had their shot.  I don't agree that Reyes and Wright being here in 2014 and beyond would've been such a great or sure thing for the Mets. 

BTW, Zack's numbers at Vegas after his last start (a good one):  58.1 IP, 52 H, 25 ER, 24 BB, 59 K, 4-1 record, 3.86 ERA.  Not overwhelming stuff, but neither were Matt Harvey's AAA numbers, and Wheeler is stuck in the PCL, which makes his numbers a little better that they appear.   

I'm guessing one more or two more starts max in AAA for Zack, even if they're not good (not exactly breaking news there, but I think nothing will stop the Mets from calling him up at this point)...at the very least, now that this team killed whatever minor enthusiasm might have been building after the Subway Sweep, the Mets are going to be desperate to find reasons to get their fans to come out and spend money to watch their on-field product.  Harvey does seem to be putting up more human numbers as of late (last 5 starts:  33.2 IP, 35 H, 13 ER, 7 BB, 31 K, 3.48 ERA), but I'm not worried about him at all...his numbers were off-the-charts good and due for regression, and the K-to-BB ratio remains excellent...but heaven forbid he hits a bit of a first-full-year-in-the-majors wall, and Wheeler struggles during his first call up and needs to be sent back down after four or five starts.  You literally might have damned near no one coming to see this team this summer. 

The Reyes ship has sailed, yes it would've been great to still have him here as a sparkplug, productive player...but would he have made the 2012 or 2013 Mets a playoff team? nah not really. Plus he's closing in on 30, so who knows he may start slowing down soon

I'm worried he may end up in Philly or NYY and revive his career there. Both have aging shortstops with one foot out the door.

Edited by '7'

For all of the "electrifying" Reyes moments, I remember a lot of boneheaded/maddening/me me me ones too.  I'm with you 7, I think when the time came, it was simply time to let him leave, and for the Mets to start building a new identity...would've been nice if the Mets got something for him, especially if Captain Passive wasn't going to make any effort to sign him (and knew it all along), but oh well.  Can't do anything about that now.

Problem is Wright is still the face of the Mets (which is a mixed bag...he's a good player but is as known for failures in big spots as he is for his better moments...he doesn't really ever seem to rise above the Mets' futility, but seems to become a part of it.), when the Mets desperately need Wright to be relegated to 1A/complementary status behind a true star/leader.  Maybe the new identity gets built around Harvey/Wheeler and, in time, a shut-'em-down-type pitching staff...who knows?  But the new identity is not here YET...and it can't be built around Wright...he is not that kind of player.  Murph is a nice symbol of hard work/grit, but the problem with him is, when he's not hitting, he's almost invisible.  The only way he really finds his way onto the basepaths is to hit his way on. 

And in fairness to Reyes, I wouldn't say his career has stalled...he did play well for Florida last year, and was off to a nice start for the Jays until he got hurt.  But that's the problem...he has a way of going down almost unexpectedly, though with all of the games he's missed in the past five seasons, I guess it shouldn't be that unexpected anymore. 

I actually think Reyes had re-made his image for the most part after the way 2006-08 ended, winning the batting crown and actually staying healthy for a full season helped in that regard though.  

Injuries aside, my only problem with him besides the '06-07 issues (not running balls out, overcelebrating at different times) is you couldn't count on him in big games ever.  As such it's kinda hard to give the guy 100 million when he's injury prone and won't help you win big games either.  Even given the fact he's 100 times better than most of what the Mets are throwing out on a nightly basis now.

And yeah he was never going to stay healthy for the duration of the contract or be Reyes for the latter part of it, but you can pretty much say that about any FA that signs a long-term deal.  Wright's no exception.  But sometimes you do have to overpay guys.  

That classic Francesca rant where he went off about how Reyes and Wright never seem to get the big hit sadly had a ring of truth to it.  I'm hardly a big Francesca fan, but just like there's a reason why Derek Jeter is thought of as a guy who steps it up when his team needs him most, there's also a reason why Reyes and Wright are thought of as guys who often don't. 

I don't have a problem with Wright or his deal (in today's game, it's not really THAT crazy), though I probably would've let him go.  I have more of a problem with the knowledge that the Mets will make him and his contract the cornerstone of future teams.  I could've been sold on 2005-08 Wright possibly being that guy, but not 2009-beyond Wright. 

Well Wright actually had a good couple of Septembers, and has had big hits off Rivera and others.  He just sort of gets smeared by the ugliness that is the Mets of the last few years.  I always thought it was a bit of a myth about Wright and Beltran not doing it in the clutch.

Reyes on the other hand hit like .200 down the stretch and in the postseason in '06-07-08.

Wright had terrific Septembers in '06 (.360 BA, .963 OB+SLG), '07 (.352 BA, 1.032 OB+SLG), and '08 (.340, .993 OB+SLG).  At bats like the strikeout against the Cubs stick out, but the fact is he did do all that could realistically be expected from anyone in those three seasons...I don't know what more he could've done.  You are right, in that he does get smeared somewhat by the overall Met ugliness, but his decline in play since the start of the '09 season hasn't helped his cause.  His Septembers from '09 on have been much more ordinary (they haven't come anywhere near the Septembers of '06-'08), but Wright is also clearly not the same player.  I admit for me as a fan, this is not an easy transition to make...it almost reminds of Dwight Gooden after '85.  The realization slowly sets in that the player is never going to have a year like his very best, but you can't help yourself in hoping that he will.  The David Wright of '05-'08, the guy who sometimes looked like a one-man wrecking crew...probably never coming back.  He's about to lose his .300 lifetime average (he's currently at .2997), and I know he's getting minimal support in this lineup (seems like eons ago when he had Reyes, Delgado, Beltran, etc), but he's just not the same guy anymore...far from washed-up, but clearly a lesser player.  That reality is a bit of a bummer.

As for Reyes...here's his Septembers from '05 on:

'05:  .262 BA, .302 OB%

'06:  .297 BA, .360 OB%  playoffs:  .250 BA, .298 OB%

'07:  .205 BA, .279 OB% 

'08:  .243 BA, .314 OB%

'09:  DNP

'10:  .269 BA, .321 OB%

'11:  .340 BA, .414 OB%    

Reyes' '06 September was actually quite good (Mets weren't really playing for much that month...they were 82-50 going in and had a 15.5 game lead, and had pretty much sewn up their division...there wasn't much pressure on them in September.  They went 14-15 for the month and were clearly in "cruise control").  But yeah, in '07 and '08, when the Mets REALLY needed him to perform in September to help stave off collapses, he was pretty close to invisible, especially for a guy who carried himself like a conquering hero.  The sabes guys will tell you "small sample" (as they will when the Nick Swisher-types fail in the postseason again and again and again), but until he proves otherwise, I think Reyes is not really a clutch guy (or a guy who has "the knack" of being at his best when the stakes are at their highest).