Congrats Slovakia!

StormJosh

Slovakia just booted Canada from the World Championships tournament with a 4-3 win in the quarterfinals. Getzlaf took a 5 minute major when he knee-on-knee'd one of the Slovakian players with about 3 minutes left in a tied game.

USA plays Finland in a little while today.

Slovakia just booted Canada from the World Championships tournament with a 4-3 win in the quarterfinals. Getzlaf took a 5 minute major when he knee-on-knee'd one of the Slovakian players with about 3 minutes left in a tied game.

USA plays Finland in a little while today.

I read somewhere that this affects Canada's seeding for the olympics, know if thats true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_Olympic_Games#Qualification

Qualification for the men's tournament at the 2010 Winter Olympics was structured around the 2008 IIHF World Ranking. Twelve spots were made available for teams. The top nine teams in the World Ranking after the 2008 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships received automatic berths. Teams ranked 10th through 30th had an opportunity to qualify for the event. Teams ranked 19th through 30th played in a first qualification round in November 2008. The top three teams from the round advanced to the second qualification round, joined by teams ranked 10th through 18th. The top three teams from this round advanced to the Olympic tournament.[86][121]

I read somewhere that this affects Canada's seeding for the olympics, know if thats true?

You're right, it could cause a little bit of a quirk. Canada is currently ranked 4th in the world (believe it or not). I believe the top 3 ranked teams are assured they won't be in the same preliminary group. So, essentially, there is a 1 in 3 chance now that Russia and Canada, arguably the two best teams, will be in the same preliminary "group of death." If the United States loses today there is a remote chance that one of the groups could consist of Russia, Canada, USA, and a lesser team.

Thing is, for me, I JUST DON'T CARE. For the past number of years, I'd follow the World Championships because with the Devils out, I might as well cheer on Travis and the other guys in red and white. But this year, I don't even know who was on the team. :)

One thing about this tournament is all the guys that don't play. Forget that the NHL playoffs are still going on... there are so many guys that have been eliminated that didn't want to go (ie Crosby).

The only thing I heard about the tournament was people's head exploding over Team Canada leaving off Spezza even though he expressed interest in going.

Edited by Don