Devils' shootout prowess

Colorado Rockies 1976

Unfortunately I worry it may be coming to an end soon. Like you said, they're catching on to Kovy... and Parise's dekes don't catch goalies ridiculously out of position anymore... win enough shootouts, goalies pay attention. After a teams big 2 or 3, it gets a bit random which is why having Brodeur's 'encyclopedia' on shooters is key. He doesn't need to study the top 3, he knows a lot more... unless you're a rookie, then you'll get your first career goal :)

Except that the Devils have been great at this since its inception. Kovy is definitely due to slow up though.

It will be interesting to see what Kovy's Plan B move is.

Except that the Devils have been great at this since its inception. Kovy is definitely due to slow up though.

It will be interesting to see what Kovy's Plan B move is.

Kovy has a good enough shot where he can find openings anywhere if he hits his spot. I'm not too worried at all.

He started off the season trying this move a few times and connecting each time. He also faked shot and went forehand.

Unfortunately I worry it may be coming to an end soon. Like you said, they're catching on to Kovy... and Parise's dekes don't catch goalies ridiculously out of position anymore... win enough shootouts, goalies pay attention. After a teams big 2 or 3, it gets a bit random which is why having Brodeur's 'encyclopedia' on shooters is key. He doesn't need to study the top 3, he knows a lot more... unless you're a rookie, then you'll get your first career goal :)

His understanding of the game may be helping our shooters as well. Despite his recent slump, Parise's been great in shootouts, and aside from that whiff last year, Kovy's emerged as a big time player since playing with Marty. Even Clarkie's had some great moments. There's gotta be more to that one especially than pure talent. Throw in the fact that Kovy's credited Marty with improving him on shootouts (thanks, njdevs4978), and you begin to understand why the Devils have been so good in the shootout for so long and expect it to continue, at least as long as number 30's still in net.

Kovy has a good enough shot where he can find openings anywhere if he hits his spot. I'm not too worried at all.

He started off the season trying this move a few times and connecting each time. He also faked shot and went forehand.

I'm not saying he's going to vanish...he'll still connect. But at a .818% rate? Probably not.

Kovy is 9-11 what an absolute beast!!! and no, goalies are not "catching on" to him. his last two attempts he's gone to the five hole but he obviously doesn't go there that often. the time before that he went top shelf and burried one. he is so lightening quick goalies are not gonna shut him down

I hate to be a wet blanket, but the Devils' reliance on the shootout to win games does not bode well for the postseason. They're going to have to be able to put games away playing actual hockey if they are to go far in the playoffs. Granted, five minutes of regular season overtime and twenty minutes (or more) of playoff overtime are not necessarily comparable, and on the bright side they have come out on top three out of the four times an OT game has ended before five minutes have elapsed, but still, I'm not exactly comfortable with a team that finds itself in the shootout so often.

Regulation: 20-20

Overtime: 3-1

Shootouts: 10-3

I hate to be a wet blanket, but the Devils' reliance on the shootout to win games does not bode well for the postseason. They're going to have to be able to put games away playing actual hockey if they are to go far in the playoffs. Granted, five minutes of regular season overtime and twenty minutes (or more) of playoff overtime are not necessarily comparable, and on the bright side they have come out on top three out of the four times an OT game has ended before five minutes have elapsed, but still, I'm not exactly comfortable with a team that finds itself in the shootout so often.

No, it doesn't bode well. I agree. The things that do bode well are the improvements made to the roster over the course of the season - the team has played long stretches of the season without key roster components. The power play was a disaster at the beginning of the year but is now much better - I plan on a post about just how much better when I get some numbers from a fellow blog contributor. And if Brodeur is a .915 goalie instead of a .885 goalie, that's a huge improvement too.

Edited by Triumph

Who cares about it? I hate when people cry about getting shootout wins. WINNING SHOOTOUTS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT WIN GAMES IN OVERTIME IN THE PLAYOFFS.

I never said that. Do not put words in my mouth. I even pointed out that of the games that have ended in OT, the Devils have won most of them.

Besides, the concern is not so much winning shootouts -- it's a lot better than consistently losing shootouts -- it's that it gets to the shootout so often. It means they can't seem to get it done in regulation. Hey, if it turns out that they're pretty good at winning in overtime, great.

Edited by RowdyFan42

No, it doesn't bode well. I agree. The things that do bode well are the improvements made to the roster over the course of the season - the team has played long stretches of the season without key roster components. The power play was a disaster at the beginning of the year but is now much better - I plan on a post about just how much better when I get some numbers from a fellow blog contributor. And if Brodeur is a .915 goalie instead of a .885 goalie, that's a huge improvement too.

True dat.

I think coming off any year but last year, these numbers would be setting off alarms all over the place. Many fans are just enjoying the ride, as they should after the terrible year. As far as I'm concerned, just getting back into the playoffs and even contention is a big deal, it is largely the same group back.

I think coming off any year but last year, these numbers would be setting off alarms all over the place. Many fans are just enjoying the ride, as they should after the terrible year. As far as I'm concerned, just getting back into the playoffs and even contention is a big deal, it is largely the same group back.

I agree with this, as far as "enjoying the ride" is concerned...this has largely been a fun year.

And only 3 out of the last 17 Devils' wins have come via the shootout, so it's not like that's the only way they're winning games. They've gotten much better in that regard as the season has progressed.

I've noticed that Parise just isn't using his two patented moves nearly as much lately. The forehand fake to backhand top shelf, then the second of faking the first move, but going back to the forehand leaving the goalie deked out of his panties. He seems to be going for simpler moves and even tried to hit 5 hole on a shot last time. I don't know if he's just lost confidence in his moves or if his skill regressed after missing last season and he just can't make that move as reliably as he has in the past, but either way, he's strayed from his previous path and it's not working for him right now.

I've noticed that Parise just isn't using his two patented moves nearly as much lately. The forehand fake to backhand top shelf, then the second of faking the first move, but going back to the forehand leaving the goalie deked out of his panties. He seems to be going for simpler moves and even tried to hit 5 hole on a shot last time. I don't know if he's just lost confidence in his moves or if his skill regressed after missing last season and he just can't make that move as reliably as he has in the past, but either way, he's strayed from his previous path and it's not working for him right now.

I think part of it may be that if he doesn't mix it up every now and then goalies are going to know exactly what he's about to do.