GDT: Preseason Game 3 - Devs at Isles in the no sleep till Brooklyn ga

Satans Hockey

Josefson was flying out there tonight...kind of like Tedenby, only not constantly getting out of position and making guys cover for him. Hopefully tonight's game keeps Josefson in the lineup come October. I'd like to see them try him out as a winger more often. I still think he's a center, but whatever will get him better minutes is fine with me!

Really liking Larsson so far this preseason. He's really found a way to control the game well. And those long passes  :thumbsup:

we'll see but i think the incumbents are doing enough to keep their space...for now. i think we've seen some good things from matteau, gelinas and merrill but they will (and should) all start in albany. urbom and tedenby are interesting cases because they are not waiver eligible and can be claimed for nothing which would be a shame. if jagr and clowe start the season on IR, that can keep the two of them here. assuming they do are ready for game one, the assumed incumbent that are in question are gionta and barch. this also assumes that brunner has done enough to make the team - which is something that i think is for sure.

elias-zajac-jagr

clowe-loktionov-ryder

zubrus-henrique-brunner

olesz-josefson-bernier

tedenby/barch

that's the forward line i'd hope would make it but i expect gionta to get the call over tedenby based on pdb's comments that gionta is an important part of the team yada yada yada.

for the d, i expect that the assumed 7 make it:

greene-larsson

salvador-zidlicky

volchenkov-fayne

harrold

in a world where talent and not "politics" makes the decision, then gelinas should make the team over sal but we all know that's never happening. i hate the idea of urbom being exposed to waivers but most feel he won't get claimed and there's just not a spot.

i'm biased on volchenkov so i can't give an honest opinion. i honestly think he brings a dimension that noone else on the team does. but sal - goodness i'd love to see him moved. urbom strikes me as an acceptable replacement there - he'll make his share of mistakes but he can skate and has some poise. i just see sal as one of the worst defensemen in the league - a guy that gets abused. but again, we've covered this ad nauseum.

that being said - all the kid defensemen going to albany and being on the albany-newark express is fine. it's the waiver kids that worry me (tedenby/urbom)

A) I'm sure you could trade Urbom if there isn't a spot for him on the team and he has to go through waivers

B) I've seen conflicting reports on whether he would or would not be waiver-eligible

C) No Gelinas is not making the team over Sal...but he might be on the team instead of Fayne

maybe you get a 3rd for urbom - what's the point.

he's waiver eligible. there's a ton of minutia in the CBA but it's pretty clear that he is.

if they decide one of the kids has to make the team, fayne is likely the guy that has to go. which is a shame because he is good and cheap and likely won't bring as much as he's truly worth back in return. like lou might get a 4th for him. i'd risk losing urbom for nothing before giving fayne up for a 4th.

tri had a thought of fayne + nj 2nd 2104 for carolina's 2014 1st. that i would do to allow for urbom to stay and make it easier for the kids to get on the right side of the ALB-EWR express.

we'll see but i think the incumbents are doing enough to keep their space...for now. i think we've seen some good things from matteau, gelinas and merrill but they will (and should) all start in albany. urbom and tedenby are interesting cases because they are not waiver eligible and can be claimed for nothing which would be a shame. if jagr and clowe start the season on IR, that can keep the two of them here. assuming they do are ready for game one, the assumed incumbent that are in question are gionta and barch. this also assumes that brunner has done enough to make the team - which is something that i think is for sure.

elias-zajac-jagr

clowe-loktionov-ryder

zubrus-henrique-brunner

olesz-josefson-bernier

tedenby/barch

that's the forward line i'd hope would make it but i expect gionta to get the call over tedenby based on pdb's comments that gionta is an important part of the team yada yada yada.

for the d, i expect that the assumed 7 make it:

greene-larsson

salvador-zidlicky

volchenkov-fayne

harrold

in a world where talent and not "politics" makes the decision, then gelinas should make the team over sal but we all know that's never happening. i hate the idea of urbom being exposed to waivers but most feel he won't get claimed and there's just not a spot.

i'm biased on volchenkov so i can't give an honest opinion. i honestly think he brings a dimension that noone else on the team does. but sal - goodness i'd love to see him moved. urbom strikes me as an acceptable replacement there - he'll make his share of mistakes but he can skate and has some poise. i just see sal as one of the worst defensemen in the league - a guy that gets abused. but again, we've covered this ad nauseum.

that being said - all the kid defensemen going to albany and being on the albany-newark express is fine. it's the waiver kids that worry me (tedenby/urbom)

What about Carter?

What about Carter?

sh!t - i knew i forgot someone. he's what really makes it dicey because keeping him puts josefson at risk which is disgusting. i mean, i hope the team rightfully decides there's no place for barch and just dumps him but that is not happening. he's the only guy that will fight if they need it. sure bernier can do it and sal will if he has to but should absolutely not so that leaves...nobody. barch is making the team.

again - this all assumes brunner gets a contract. while i think that's a fait acompli, not everyone agrees.

sh!t - i knew i forgot someone. he's what really makes it dicey because keeping him puts josefson at risk which is disgusting. i mean, i hope the team rightfully decides there's no place for barch and just dumps him but that is not happening. he's the only guy that will fight if they need it. sure bernier can do it and sal will if he has to but should absolutely not so that leaves...nobody. barch is making the team.

again - this all assumes brunner gets a contract. while i think that's a fait acompli, not everyone agrees.

It's just unfortunate because the Devils have the ability to run out the most complete 4 lines of forwards in 13 years, and we know it probably won't happen. They also have the ability to start a top 5 goalie in the NHL 60 times, and barring injury, that might not happen either.

At least Josefson got a chance to play with really good players tonight, and he did not disappoint.

• Like 1

Josefson will make the team even with Barch and Brunner.   I think Gionta is the guy who will not.    Either way that one open spot falls (I'm giving Barch a spot on the roster so IMO the open spot is between Brunner and Gionta), they're going to have some decisions to make.

It's just unfortunate because the Devils have the ability to run out the most complete 4 lines of forwards in 13 years, and we know it probably won't happen. They also have the ability to start a top 5 goalie in the NHL 60 times, and barring injury, that might not happen either.

At least Josefson got a chance to play with really good players tonight, and he did not disappoint.

Schneider has never played 60.   That's kind of what makes this goaltending thing a little frustrating.   It's probably going to be a 50-30ish split, perhaps even less than that.   So it should not be a big deal to make the "correct" decision.   Everyone will play.

maybe you get a 3rd for urbom - what's the point.

he's waiver eligible. there's a ton of minutia in the CBA but it's pretty clear that he is.

if they decide one of the kids has to make the team, fayne is likely the guy that has to go. which is a shame because he is good and cheap and likely won't bring as much as he's truly worth back in return. like lou might get a 4th for him. i'd risk losing urbom for nothing before giving fayne up for a 4th.

tri had a thought of fayne + nj 2nd 2104 for carolina's 2014 1st. that i would do to allow for urbom to stay and make it easier for the kids to get on the right side of the ALB-EWR express.

The point is to get something back for him?  I mean Urbom's probably eighth on the depth chart right now behind Gelinas (not even including Harrold since he's the swingman), you'd have to deal off two guys to make room for him.  If Fayne's getting dealt it's because of Gelinas, and due to the fact he's UFA this year and probably isn't as highly thought of as the kids coming up behind him.  Not to mention Volch being un-tradeable.

It makes so much sense just to get rid of Gionta and bite the bullet on Tedenby or Barch, but I'm skeptical that'll happen lol.  I'm not a Gionta hater but he's not one of the twelve best forwards on the ice right now, and he's one of the few guys you could dispose of without losing money or a prospect.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The point is to get something back for him?  I mean Urbom's probably eighth on the depth chart right now behind Gelinas (not even including Harrold since he's the swingman), you'd have to deal off two guys to make room for him.  If Fayne's getting dealt it's because of Gelinas, and due to the fact he's UFA this year and probably isn't as highly thought of as the kids coming up behind him.

It makes so much sense just to get rid of Gionta and bite the bullet on Tedenby or Barch, but I'm skeptical that'll happen lol.  I'm not a Gionta hater but he's not one of the twelve best forwards on the ice right now, and he's one of the few guys you could dispose of without losing money or a prospect.

Gionta can just go to Albany.   He's on a two-way this year.    That's why I think he's the bubble guy.   Tedenby is done unless someone gets hurt or they LTIR him with whatever is wrong with him.

This might be the most premature thing ever, but it really feels like the Devils have a Rodgers/Favre like succession with Schneider/Brodeur. Where you have a player perceived as one of the greatest of all time at his position being replaced by someone right after who might even be better. I'm not saying Schneider is going to have more success than Brodeur in his career, but he might be a better puck stopper. 

It's funny because it feels like Schneider is going through what Rodgers went through for a few years where he was ready to be a full-time starter, but had to patiently wait.

Either way, we have been absolutely spoiled as fans when it comes to goaltending and defense, and it looks like it will continue for the foreseeable future. 

I have this terrible feeling that they're gonna muck it up and we'll lose a good D prospect for nothing.

Edit: Urbom is waiver eligible because he is in his fourth season (contract slid a year) even though he has played 14 games in total? Yikes.

Edited by Marshall

Urbom is waiver eligible because of where his birthday falls - he was born in 1990 but couldn't be drafted until 2009. The Devils could've given Urbom another year of waiver ineligibility but it would've likely meant him going back to Sweden. Either way, I doubt he is claimed; no guarantees he's an NHL player yet.

I wouldn't want to chance urbom either, but it may have to happen. However, Tri is right probably here. Again, if he gets claimed he has to remain on a NHL roster. Teams barely know who Urbom is, let alone think he's worth claiming a contract space for to be a 6th/7th D waiver claim. Chances are most teams have a Urbom like guy in the organization who can they put as the 6th or 7th D.

Thing is what if all the old guys (Elias/Jagr/Ryder/Zubrus) keep getting hurt and shuttling in and out of the lineup with injuries?  We don't exactly have the scoring depth up front we do on defense, even given a Brunner signing.

If DeBoer starts having problems with players not named Tallinder then missing the playoffs could be problematic for him, but for the most part they went to the wall for him last year which is why his job was never in jeopardy then.

Edited by NJDevs4978