Larsson

Daniel

Larsson is pretty decent, I just think he's too soft. He seems to take a big hit like the Subban one and it fvcks with him the rest of the season.

I think that's the case with any young rookie, thus the whole "keep yer head up, kid" phrase. He takes some big hits, but at his age, who doesn't? Every opposition player knows he's the young kid and knows to finish their hits when Larsson's on the ice. It's less a commentary on his style of play and more what we should expect from the oppositions' scouting with a high profile high draft pick on our starting lineup. If Urbom or Gelinas were our "young defensive star", they'd have to absorb much of the same. It's not like he can't learn how to avoid or get by players who finish their check, he absolutely can.

Edited by DJ Eco

He's in his 20 year old year.    There's the rebuke to your argument.    It's entirely possible he doesn't hit his peak until after his obligations to the Devils are over.

My biggest concern with him.... does he have the right guy around the organization to learn from?   The guy who was the best fit for him is in SJ now.

Maybe the problem is that he's meant to have a game like Lidstrom, but unfortunately no one is that good. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

we dont need to re-hash where Lidstrom was at Larsson's age again do we?

You guys - furious he's scratched. Then when he plays you want him shipped as a clear bust.

I have nothing to say -- it's grumping me out - because you see the start of a path for correction and vets sort of almost kind of pick it up -- I have trouble trusting our players.  Which sort of blows my mind.  I think our players dont trust themselves is the whole thing. 

I'm nto writing about.  I don't know what I'm writing about...  :noclue:  no one here does in case anyone wanted to get all wise on me  :evil:

Have to admit I don't see the panic so far. I actually think is fairly patient with the puck. He doesn't have the offensive upside I was expecting. He is also not very physical, but the few times he is you can tell he is a strong guy. He also is good at getting his shots through which is useful in our system.

He doesn't like an elite player right now, so maybe he's a bust by that standard... but I think he will be a very good defenceman  capable of playing in any situation. The Victor Hedman comparison is a good one, and if Larsson turns into that I can live with it.

Have to admit I don't see the panic so far. I actually think is fairly patient with the puck. He doesn't have the offensive upside I was expecting. He is also not very physical, but the few times he is you can tell he is a strong guy. He also is good at getting his shots through which is useful in our system.

He doesn't like an elite player right now, so maybe he's a bust by that standard... but I think he will be a very good defenceman  capable of playing in any situation. The Victor Hedman comparison is a good one, and if Larsson turns into that I can live with it.

Especially when he had his chances on the PK earlier in the season. Anytime there was a loose puck in the slot and Larsson was near, I had nothing but confidence he'd get the clear. More times than not, I felt that was the case.

Sure, there will be bumps in the road, but who honestly expected him to be an NHL-ready, top pair defender out of the gate?

Sure, there will be bumps in the road, but who honestly expected him to be an NHL-ready, top pair defender out of the gate?

People who don't follow the rest of the league and haven't watched a guy this young play D in 20 years (if ever), I imagine.

Especially when he had his chances on the PK earlier in the season. Anytime there was a loose puck in the slot and Larsson was near, I had nothing but confidence he'd get the clear. More times than not, I felt that was the case.

Larsson has well above average stick skills. Passing, defending with the stick; think about that 2 on 1, can't remember what game, went down one knee, put the stick out in front of him, took away the pass beautifully. I don't think he panics, I just I feel like sometimes he thinks he's got more time and then doesn't. I think this will improve as time goes on and he adjusts to the speed of the game.

If I don't see Larsson come in with better footwork and agility next season then I'm going to start to worry.  If his footwork and agility don't improve then he'll never be better than a bottom tier defenseman.  It's really poor how often he can't get to pucks but it looks like he's skating mud while average skaters are exploding to get to pucks before him or skating around him, while he twirls and stumbles.

If Larsson gets better footwork and agility worked out then I think he become a top level defenseman, at least a guy you can count on in the defensive end who can make good passes.  I'm not sure big offense will ever be his thing but his passing is good enough if his defensive shortcomings are worked out.

put it this way, i would love to see larsson whenever zid is holding the point on a pp. with larsson, the cycle continues, with zid there is a breakaway and a possible shorty.

For me, you're asking to take the Devils best PP defenseman off the PP to put maybe the 5th best guy on it.  If I had to guess who would give up more SH goals if left on an island during the PP, it would definitely be Larsson.

the comparison with Hedman is fair, Hedman is alright he's also a 2way D that doesnt produce that much points.

Let's put it this way... fine he's still young and everything... but how long til you'd really still pick him over Duchene, E. Kane ? if ever... THOSE are impact players. I know forwards develop sooner and everything but still... do you really think you'd ever pick Hedman over those 2? even Kadri could be brought in that talk and Ekman-Larsson who's already established pretty well.

He should of stayed in Sweden last year and played this year and next in Albany. The Devils used to do it right with young kids.

He was (apparently) dominant in Albany, so I think it's the right decision to keep him with the big boys, SO LONG AS HE SEES CONSISTENT ICE TIME.

None of this healthy scratch nonsense if he doesn't deserve it.

the comparison with Hedman is fair, Hedman is alright he's also a 2way D that doesnt produce that much points.

Let's put it this way... fine he's still young and everything... but how long til you'd really still pick him over Duchene, E. Kane ? if ever... THOSE are impact players. I know forwards develop sooner and everything but still... do you really think you'd ever pick Hedman over those 2? even Kadri could be brought in that talk and Ekman-Larsson who's already established pretty well.

I may have my years wrong, but weren't those players drafted in a different year?

I may have my years wrong, but weren't those players drafted in a different year?

nop right after him...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2009e.html

if you scroll down and if youre like me... theres LOTS of players i'd want on my team before Hedman, im petrified to the idea that we'll likely say the same about Larsson's draft year in a few years too

He was (apparently) dominant in Albany, so I think it's the right decision to keep him with the big boys, SO LONG AS HE SEES CONSISTENT ICE TIME.

None of this healthy scratch nonsense if he doesn't deserve it.

What about Gelinas?  He killed it in Albany last year.  Shouldn't he have gotten a sniff?  The correct answer is no.  Neither one of them belong in the NHL.  Larsson has been so bad if he had been Gelinas he'd probably be on another team by now.  Marty has saved Larsson's ass so much already he should be buying dinner nightly.  Larsson has talent. I'm not saying he doesn't but the adjustment to the league has been to great for him and he would be much better playing in the league where he can make mistakes and grow.  He also very soft and skiddish.  These are the two things that makes me think he's not going to adjust to the league and be a good NHL player.  Josefson is the same way.

Hedman is better than Duchene, probably, and possibly Kane.  At any rate it's close.  You will always regret drafting Larsson if you judge players by points, because Larsson will not score that many of them.

Larsson's 'softness' always cracks me up.  Yeah the guy who takes all the hits and seldom coughs up the puck to avoid a hit?  Soft.  What a baby.

Edited by Triumph

Hedman is better than Duchene, probably, and possibly Kane.  At any rate it's close.  You will always regret drafting Larsson if you judge players by points, because Larsson will not score that many of them.

Larsson's 'softness' always cracks me up.  Yeah the guy who takes all the hits and seldom coughs up the puck to avoid a hit?  Soft.  What a baby.

Larsson is brave, willing to take hits to make plays, but he also isn't tough, since he doesn't seem to want to dish any pain out and avoids initiating contact.  So he's tough in one way and soft in the other.

Larsson is brave, willing to take hits to make plays, but he also isn't tough, since he doesn't seem to want to dish any pain out and avoids initiating contact.  So he's tough in one way and soft in the other.

You could say that about soooo many great NHLers. Not everyone has to be physically aggressive to be successful.

he's just not that kind of player. It sounds like you want a different kind of player. He's not gonna be the physical monster like Shea Weber but there are plenty of other kinds of defensemen. I'm sure Senators fans though Karlsson was way too soft his first year (not that they're similar kinds of players) but would they now change him? Absolutely not. Hits=meaningless statistic. By your logic, Niedermayer must have been the softest player on earth. He was still pretty good 

and there's no way Tampa would even consider trading Hedman for Duchene. That would be ridiculous for them. Kane's awesome, but points are the end all. 

Do people think Larsson's going to be Shea Weber? They're obviously horribly wrong about that. He's not that kind of player. He's more finesse. So was Lidstrom. Larsson's barring a miracle not going to be that, but he's that style of player 

Edited by DH26

Where did I say whether Larsson playing this way was good or bad?  I complimented him in one aspect of his game and fairly critiqued another aspect of his game.  Neither person disputed what I said is untrue but both seemed to feel it was unfair to say.

To clarify, I don't care if Larsson hits people, he doesn't put himself in a good position on the boards because he often won't fight for it, he's content to sit on the outside of the player and not win the puck.

I think people are too touchy on Larsson, as if talking about the areas he might improve in makes him actually play worse.

• Like 1