Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,293 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

What a clown Ovechkin is. Just goes to show it's all about the $$$

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405665

#122 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

I see where he is coming from, though. It says in that article that he would be contractually obligated to return when the labor dispute is over.

If Ovechkin were to stay in Russia, he would be in violation of his contract with the Capitals and the breach of contract would also bring sanctions from the IIHF.

Now, where are the sanctions for breach of contract if the league decides that he should get 25% less of a contract that the Capitals signed with him? I can definitely see the players side of this.

That being said, I think the threat to stay in Russia is a hollow one.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#123 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

This whole mess is a joke. I'm usually getting pumped for hockey season, now I won't even wear my Devil shirts I'm so pissed. I KNEW once Fehr headed the union, this was heading for a stalemate. Bettman has got to go, too bad the owners don't have the balls to remove him. How do you make $ when your business is shut down. WAKE UP owners.

#124 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

This whole mess is a joke. I'm usually getting pumped for hockey season, now I won't even wear my Devil shirts I'm so pissed. I KNEW once Fehr headed the union, this was heading for a stalemate. Bettman has got to go, too bad the owners don't have the balls to remove him. How do you make $ when your business is shut down. WAKE UP owners.

Hard to fire a guy who has helped make you more money than ever before.

Owners love him.

#125 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

You make money by taking what was promised to the players, cutting it by a large amount, and telling them that's what they deserve. The players' choice right now is either to take a 24% paycut or not play at all. Why would anyone play under those conditions?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#126 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

You make money by taking what was promised to the players, cutting it by a large amount, and telling them that's what they deserve. The players' choice right now is either to take a 24% paycut or not play at all. Why would anyone play under those conditions?

Absolutely agree. I hate Fehr for what he did to baseball, but I can't blame any of this on the players or the NHLPA.
Posted Image

#127 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Fehr's done a great job in my opinion. Compared to Goodenow who had no idea what negotiation was beyond saying "no" it's been night and day. He's taken the NHL's concerns regarding the profitability of the bottom half of the league seriously and come up with clever solutions to solve the issues involved. Of course the solutions are basically revenue sharing which is clearly beneficial for the NHLPA (since every cap dollar not spent is potential money not going to the players) but that's his job as head of the NHLPA.

Bettman and the owners clearly have no new ideas this go around. Either the top 5 teams are too powerful and are keeping revenue sharing from even entering the equation or the bottom half of the league just has no vision because they seem to have no ideas beyond cutting the players' share of HRR. As Triumph says it's a cash grab, and given the fact that most teams supposedly don't make money on regular season games it makes perfect sense. Only 5 teams are really gonna be missing out on profits by missing games and the players are gonna miss out on a lot of game checks. It will hurt the players asymmetrically and the owners have the leverage.

With that said, that fact that so many teams (seem) content to miss regular season games does speak to the fact that the last CBA had some serious problems. The reason the NFL missed no games is because they make an absurd amount of money and didn't want to lose it. The NBA missed games because it was in the same boat as the NHL. The NBA's CBA did nothing to solve its problems and the NHL's new CBA will do nothing to solve its problems other than give the players a little less money. Which means we'll get the same thing in 5-6 years when this new CBA expires.

It's disapointing, but this is the nature of negotiation of billion dollar plus deals with multiple parties involved. So many different interests and concerns at stake. I just wish the owners were more concerned about avoiding this in the future by creating a profitable regular season like the NFL has. They followed the first part of the NFL blue print (hard salary cap) but ignored the second (revenue sharing) and it's creating these problems.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 20 September 2012 - 07:50 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#128 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

So why does the NHL still get to sell player gear during the lockout?

#129 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm rapidly losing faith in this process, and general interest in this mess of a sport right now.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#130 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

It's called being on strike. You get what you want by threatening your bosses the previously unimaginable. If Ovechkin says it, maybe some owners will have a little doubt in the back of their minds that the Kovy's or Lundqvist's might not come back with a 24% pay cut.

#131 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Kovy has apparently made a statement pretty similar to Oveckkin's

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#132 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

NHL network channel is off too. :(
Devils.

#133 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,875 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

NHL network channel is off too. :(

Not true (at least yet), they're still replaying random games and the other shows they have on.

Actually they're replaying Game 5 of the Finals at 5 PM according to the schedule.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#134 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'll see some hokcey tonight in rouyn vs armada! cant wait to see matteau playing

#135 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Fehr's done a great job in my opinion. Compared to Goodenow who had no idea what negotiation was beyond saying "no" it's been night and day. He's taken the NHL's concerns regarding the profitability of the bottom half of the league seriously and come up with clever solutions to solve the issues involved. Of course the solutions are basically revenue sharing which is clearly beneficial for the NHLPA (since every cap dollar not spent is potential money not going to the players) but that's his job as head of the NHLPA.

Bettman and the owners clearly have no new ideas this go around. Either the top 5 teams are too powerful and are keeping revenue sharing from even entering the equation or the bottom half of the league just has no vision because they seem to have no ideas beyond cutting the players' share of HRR. As Triumph says it's a cash grab, and given the fact that most teams supposedly don't make money on regular season games it makes perfect sense. Only 5 teams are really gonna be missing out on profits by missing games and the players are gonna miss out on a lot of game checks. It will hurt the players asymmetrically and the owners have the leverage.

With that said, that fact that so many teams (seem) content to miss regular season games does speak to the fact that the last CBA had some serious problems. The reason the NFL missed no games is because they make an absurd amount of money and didn't want to lose it. The NBA missed games because it was in the same boat as the NHL. The NBA's CBA did nothing to solve its problems and the NHL's new CBA will do nothing to solve its problems other than give the players a little less money. Which means we'll get the same thing in 5-6 years when this new CBA expires.

It's disapointing, but this is the nature of negotiation of billion dollar plus deals with multiple parties involved. So many different interests and concerns at stake. I just wish the owners were more concerned about avoiding this in the future by creating a profitable regular season like the NFL has. They followed the first part of the NFL blue print (hard salary cap) but ignored the second (revenue sharing) and it's creating these problems.

Because the NHL doesn't really want to share revenues. Teams like Philly, Rangers, Toronto, Detroit...those teams don't want to share revenues with Edmonton, Florida, Phoenix, Islanders...etc

n2eg.jpg

#136 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

Not true (at least yet), they're still replaying random games and the other shows they have on.

Actually they're replaying Game 5 of the Finals at 5 PM according to the schedule.

you're right...I dunno. I set my dvr to record the finals game 2 but it didnt. I went to the channel and it said This channel is unavailable. But now it's back. CONSPIRACY!!!
Devils.

#137 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Was watching the Yankees postgame show tonight and they were interviewing CC Sabathia. Sitting in the locker behind him, right next to his Yankees cap, was none other than a NJ Devils hat. Not something you see everyday, and I thought it was pretty cool. Since there is absolutely nothing else going on, I thought I'd share.
Posted Image

#138 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Was watching the Yankees postgame show tonight and they were interviewing CC Sabathia. Sitting in the locker behind him, right next to his Yankees cap, was none other than a NJ Devils hat. Not something you see everyday, and I thought it was pretty cool. Since there is absolutely nothing else going on, I thought I'd share.

I'm not sure if he has it for fashion or not but he does live in Alpine so perhaps he is a fan. Now if only he could convert Joba...

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#139 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

http://www.thestar.c...die-in-november

The NHL’s New Year’s Day Winter Classic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings is on the chopping block, a potential early victim of the lockout.

A league source told the Star that, barring a settlement, commissioner Gary Bettman plans to cancel it in November — to take away any advantage the players may have at the bargaining table because of the game’s popularity.

“Gary told (the board of governors) he was going to cancel the Winter Classic in November because he didn’t want the players to use the game as leverage,” the source said.

A source close to the players said the NHLPA had heard the same thing.

“It’s a scare tactic,” the union source said. “It just proves the NHL has no intention of negotiating any time soon.”

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#140 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1260713--nhl-lockout-leafs-wings-winter-classic-could-die-in-november

A hollow threat, and a very bad one. Cancelling the Winter Classic will hurt the owners more than the players, it would be stupid to cancel this game but they are indeed dumb enough to do it.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users