New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Legion is right. It's all at the discretion of the arbitrator. No matter what the CBA says it can be interpreted in different ways.

:doh1: It's also at the discretion of any judge in any courtroom in the US to make his own judgment. At the end of the day, though, the judge still has a set of laws that direct his judgments. Same thing with the arbitrator when he interprets the CBA to make his final judgment.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh1: It's also at the discretion of any judge in any courtroom in the US to make his own judgment. At the end of the day, though, the judge still has a set of laws that direct his judgments. Same thing with the arbitrator when he interprets the CBA to make his final judgment.

:doh1: = unnecessary

Yes there are specific rules the arbitrator needs to go by when making his judgement. But my point is...well you said it yourself: "Same thing with the arbitrator when he interprets the CBA to make his final judgment."

There are different ways to interpret each article. So there is no way to tell how the arbitrator will interpret any given part of the CBA.

Edited by ben00rs

A big difference is that a judge is answerable to an appellate court, an arbitrator is not.

:doh1: = unnecessary

Yes there are specific rules the arbitrator needs to go by when making his judgement. But my point is...well you said it yourself: "Same thing with the arbitrator when he interprets the CBA to make his final judgment."

There are different ways to interpret each article. So there is no way to tell how the arbitrator will interpret any given part of the CBA.

I'm trying to make you understand that while a judge in a legal court of law also makes interpretations, on the whole, judges are pretty predictable in their judgments because they are following a written set of guidelines. Same thing with the arbitrator.

interrupting the now terminal session of begging the question, here's some interesting articles that mention ilya kovalchuk's shooting ability:

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/7/29/1593561/observed-distribution-of-shooting

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/7/30/1594614/where-players-spend-their-time-in

Very interesting to say the least. Definitely makes a case for what a phenomenal talent he is.

interrupting the now terminal session of begging the question, here's some interesting articles that mention ilya kovalchuk's shooting ability:

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/7/29/1593561/observed-distribution-of-shooting

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/7/30/1594614/where-players-spend-their-time-in

Interesting, to say the least.

I'm trying to make you understand that while a judge in a legal court of law also makes interpretations, on the whole, judges are pretty predictable in their judgments because they are following a written set of guidelines. Same thing with the arbitrator.

lol.

TGfireandice: Source: a system arbitrator has been agreed upon and a day/site for the Kovalchuk arbitration has been set. Don't know either, yet.

Here we go.

And so it begins....

TG:

The objective remains that the case will be settled by the end of next week. So, you can guess that the hearing will be Monday/Tuesday
Edited by mmajeski06

After studying law for 3 years, I cannot disagree with you more about this. I've worked in several DA offices and there are always judges that will blatantly make up their own law. Yes there are rules and guidelines but no they aren't always followed. That's why we have appellate courts.

More on point. TG's Twitter

The hearing will likely be held over two days.

After studying law for 3 years, I cannot disagree with you more about this. I've worked in several DA offices and there are always judges that will blatantly make up their own law. Yes there are rules and guidelines but no they aren't always followed. That's why we have appellate courts.

That's why I said judges are open to "interpretation" and "on the whole" most, but not all, will more or less follow the guidelines set forth by written laws. I didn't make any absolutes. For someone who studies law, you don't read too well.

Edited by Amberite

That's why I said judges are open to "interpretation" and "on the whole" most, but not all, will more or less follow the guidelines set forth by written laws. I didn't make any absolutes. For someone who studies law, you don't read too well.

And for someone on a friendly board, you're kind of a jerk. The way in which you phrase it made it sound like judges as a whole are predictable. I do not agree based on the court rooms that I have been in and the cases I have read. While I used an extreme example to highlight my point, not to attack the credibility of you or your post. I disagreed with what I read to be your overly broad statement. No need to be testy.

And for someone on a friendly board, you're kind of a jerk. The way in which you phrase it made it sound like judges as a whole are predictable. I do not agree based on the court rooms that I have been in and the cases I have read. While I used an extreme example to highlight my point, not to attack the credibility of you or your post. I disagreed with what I read to be your overly broad statement. No need to be testy.

Order!!! Order!!!

Judges as a whole ARE predictable. Lawyers can usually tell their clients ahead of time what to expect before judgment is handed down. The only part that is unpredictable is how many penalties under the law the judge will choose to exercise. Also, there are many types of law (divorce law, etc) where the judge has much more leeway and discretion in how he chooses to act, and these are basically unpredictable by design.

As you said, there are certainly cases where a judge's decision will come out of left field, and I'm not surprised you're reading about them because a lot of these cases are focused on in law schools. However, these are definitely not the norm and I still maintain my stance that on the whole, judges are fairly predictable and follow the written law. And there is no reason to believe that an arbitrator will be any different when he handles this case.

Edited by Amberite

clap.gif

It bugs me that an announcement's probably gonna come down while I'm on the road in middle-of-fvckin-nowhere, Pennsylvania.

On the bright side, some of those Amish hotties show a LOT of ankle :)