No action on bergenheims flying elbow

DevilMinder

I constantly hear Shanahan talk about taking head shots out of the game but this is either the third or fourth Devils player this year that had the opposing player use his body to make the principle point of contact with the Devils player's head. In the season there was Myers on Zubrus and Cole on Larsson, neither of which resulted in a suspension. I feel like I'm missing another hit but I could be wrong. Now we have Bergenheim on Volchenkov which was also a clear headshot and Shanahan is content to let it slide.

We should say Volch is out due to injury, that would kill two birds with one stone, since Shanny only suspends you if the other guy is hurt.

This likely has been covered in another thread, but this is terrible policy. The NHL is so shortsighted by taking into account the result and the action. Bad, bad policy.

Honestly, I don't think this should be a one-man job. It should be a small committee and it should probably involve an NHLPA representative. I've read ideas about that around the webs and it seems to make more sense.

Definitely, it doesn't make any sense that such important rulings come from one man's opinion.

There's really no one here with a video of it?

people try to argue, "well, he missed him." the intent was clearly there. so are they going to wait until players start getting hurt before they punish these kinds of plays. i want bernier to lay bergenhiem out tomorrow.

It is not a one-man job.

Sigh...

I mean it shouldn't be just the NHL making the decision. The NHLPA should probably be involved if they are in fact interested in 'player safety', as Bettman claims again and again.

I mean, they won't make the players take off the plastic armor, but still. Safety is very important when players who aren't stars do something wrong, and it should be just as important when players who ARE stars do something wrong.

It's happening league wide.

And last night the two dirtiest players in the league were at it again, but because they're the "face" of the NHL nothing gets called.

Watch this video as Malkin skates by Nick Grossmann and delivers a flying elbow. The ref is right there looking at it but Chris Lee was more interested in ruining last night's game by making it the "CHRIS LEE SHOW" than calling legit penalties on "stars".

Here's the video. Now if the NHL wants to send a message that ALL the pundits calling out the Penguins for special treatment were wrong they suspend Malkin for the next game. But the NHL will NEVER do this because he is a "star". If a lesser player does this crap he gets 3 games.

Malkin clearly puts his elbow out jumps up a little and targets Grossmann's head. Then Malkin is smart enough to tuck and fall like it was accidental. The guy is the dirtiest cheapest A HOLE in all of the NHL.

Edited by Eztarget