2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Until you see someone with a Jersey, or Jersey Strong etc t-shirt walking around with a rangers SnapBack saying devils suck and such, you've never felt real anger

Yeah... Or the fact that the governor of our state is a fvcking Ranger fan who went to the Garden and rooted for the Rags against the Devils in the playoffs two years ago. Bottom line- if you've never lived here, just keep your opinions on this issue to yourself. You really have no idea. Edited by MadDog2020

The thing with comparing this to Toronto-Ottawa, while there are 'some' similarities (Toronto being the overhyped big market with fans in the smaller market's backyard), the big difference is Ottawa fans don't have much of a leg to stand on in comparisons since they never beat Toronto in the playoffs and have done little in their own history other than winning one conference title - though that is more than Toronto's done recently.  The fact we actually have until recently accomplished more than the Rangers and STILL get second billing just adds fuel to the rivalry.

The thing with comparing this to Toronto-Ottawa, while there are 'some' similarities (Toronto being the overhyped big market with fans in the smaller market's backyard), the big difference is Ottawa fans don't have much of a leg to stand on in comparisons since they never beat Toronto in the playoffs and have done little in their own history other than winning one conference title - though that is more than Toronto's done recently. The fact we actually have until recently accomplished more than the Rangers and STILL get second billing just adds fuel to the rivalry.

Also, Toronto and Ottawa are 250 miles apart- not 8. Edited by MadDog2020

Yeah... Or the fact that the governor of our state is a fvcking Ranger fan who went to the Garden and rooted for the Rags against the Devils in the playoffs two years ago. Bottom line- if you've never lived here, just keep your opinions on this issue to yourself. You really have no idea.

No. I dont think I am being rude. I can have an opinion, but you are mixing up having an opinion and trying to find more about the rivalry. I asked a bunch of questions about family dynamic and cheering for the same teams in other sports that I am still interested in knowing the answers.

As for Leafs and Sens, it's still similar for other reasons. Everyone in Ottawa was either a Leafs fan or a Habs fan, so still so many fans of both teams, plus there are so many Toronto transplants in Ottawa. No matter the game, there is 60% Leafs fans at each game owning The Sens arena.

Also Toronto dominates Sportsnet and TSN (Toronto Sports Network), so they are stuck with Leafs coverage no matter what. They don't have their own network either.

Edited by devilsrule33

DR- I and others from Jersey have tried explaining it a bunch of different ways to you and the other out-of-towners, but here it goes one more time: its about living in the same towns and communities as Rangers fans for a lot of us. It means turning on the news and hearing about the Rangers. Turning on the radio and hearing about the Rangers. Going to the grocery store and seeing people in Rangers shirts. Going to the deli for a sandwich and seeing people with Rangers hats... Hearing about a kid who was born and raised 5 minutes from where I live in the heart of Devils Country in the middle of the Devils glory years who makes the NHL (Kenny Agostino), but he grew up with posters of Messier and Leetch on his wall. You get the idea. Now- this isn't nearly as bad as it used to be in North Jersey. The Devils have made tremendous progress growing the fanbase, and NJ has become Devils Country gradually over the years. The winning certainly helped that along. But there are always gonna be Ranger fans around, and its a lot more pronounced when they're winning. Its also about me driving to work and seeing cars with Rangers license plate frames and bumper stickers, and in one case, a decal of Calvin (of the Calvin and Hobbs comic strip) in a Rangers shirt peeing on a Devils logo. 5 miles from my front door. In Northwest NJ. I don't have any Rags fans in my immediate family (thankfully), but I did grow up with and attend school with almost as many Ranger fans as I did Devils fans. In my hometown. In Northwest NJ. This is where the hate stems from. Then add 6- count 'em, SIX- playoff meetings to that over 20 years. 4 of which we lost. You get the picture yet? Then we have the Ranger fans coming to our building and trampsing around like they own the place. You don't hate the Rangers? Well then, you should've been there in 2008. When Queen Dickface took a victory lap and waved to Rag fans in celebration IN OUR BUILDING. All this with derisive MAAARTY chants in the background. You get it YET? I hope so. I hope that gives you an idea what this rivalry is like here at the local level. Ok rant over lol.

So MadDog, they are celebrating their team. Are you jealous of their joy? We've had a very good run. I don't see any reason to hate them. The NYC media will ignore hockey one week after the end of the season, regardless of the outcome.

Personally, I feel sorry for Ranger fans. So little to be proud of; bad contracts going back to Barry Beck; crazy manager hirings like that former Islander. Cheering for the NYR is a kind of sickness.

So MadDog, they are celebrating their team. Are you jealous of their joy? We've had a very good run. I don't see any reason to hate them. The NYC media will ignore hockey one week after the end of the season, regardless of the outcome.

Personally, I feel sorry for Ranger fans. So little to be proud of; bad contracts going back to Barry Beck; crazy manager hirings like that former Islander. Cheering for the NYR is a kind of sickness.

I never want Ranger fans to have joy when it comes to their hockey team. So, jealous? No way. That organization sucks. Pissed off? Yes. I NEVER want them to do well EVER. And I have an army behind me here that will echo those sentiments. I do agree with you that cheering for the Rangers is a sickness though lol. Although I don't feel bad for Ranger fans at all. I hope its another 250 years before they ever see another Cup. Edited by MadDog2020

Kind of indifferent.  I usually tune out emotionally when the Devils aren't in it, but I do check out different series and games here and there. 

I really miss the more consistent "every other day" format.  Rangers/Canadiens had two days off between Games 2 and 3 and will have had two days off again by Game 4.  To me, it kind of wrecks the flow a bit. 

It sucks that all I have left at the moment as a Devils fan is to root against my rival, but that's how it goes.  At some point, we all either remember or discover what it's like to live on the other side.  I'm sure a lot of Ranger fans were hating 2000 and 2003.  Just wondering Derek...who do Ranger fans consider their most intense rival now?  Is it the Devils or the Islanders? 

Well, I did that after we lost to you in 2012. Agreed completely on the format. It's disappointing how much NBC/CBC spread out the series. It's the Conference Finals and it's being treated like the NBA. It hurts each series. I knew we would lose Game 3. That extra day benefited the Habs. Maybe this time around, it helps the Rangers with Brassard. My gut feeling is the Game 4 winner will advance. I am definitely concerned. Especially if Stepan can't go.

In 2000, I went for Dallas. But it would've been nice to see Buffalo beat them the year before. For LOTCB (Brian). Nobody has had it tougher than him. Neither of our sides have had to deal with as much heartache as Sabres fans. Same for Blues. They are mirror images. In 2003, I wanted Ottawa of course. But once you made it, I knew they wouldn't lose to Anaheim. Especially in Game 7.

Biggest rival? It depends who you ask. The old-time fan will say the Islanders. It's sad that they won't be on Long Island anymore. Barclays is not great. If you're going off recent history, it's the Devils. The hatred is pretty intense. But it's more Devils fans. Personally, I hate the Pens the most. That series game me more satisfaction than what they did in 2012. I can't stand them. The Crosby network. The league ignoring what their stars get away with. Mario Lemieux. They are the definition of loathsome. I can't respect guys like Neal and Kunitz. Crosby will never compare to Toews. He's not a true leader. Would a real superstar vanish as frequently as he has when teams play him tough? Don't forget the Flyers even though the first round series lacked emotion. It was weird.

I'm not sure I answered your question. But you might want to rethink how our fanbase feels towards the Pens.

Watching how dominant LA was against the defending champs is kind of alarming. They flat out owned them. From a physical standpoint, it's not even close. Ever since Quick made that ridiculous save which prevented Game 2 from being 3-1, the Kings have taken over. Toews was the only player to show any balls for the Hawks. That was disappointing. I definitely would agree with the notion that LA would be the much tougher match-up. They have the goalie, the defenseman (Doughty), top talent and are bigger and stronger. I am not ready to count out Chicago. They've been here before. But I'm getting that feeling again with LA.

DR- I and others from Jersey have tried explaining it a bunch of different ways to you and the other out-of-towners, but here it goes one more time: its about living in the same towns and communities as Rangers fans for a lot of us. It means turning on the news and hearing about the Rangers. Turning on the radio and hearing about the Rangers. Going to the grocery store and seeing people in Rangers shirts. Going to the deli for a sandwich and seeing people with Rangers hats... Hearing about a kid who was born and raised 5 minutes from where I live in the heart of Devils Country in the middle of the Devils glory years who makes the NHL (Kenny Agostino), but he grew up with posters of Messier and Leetch on his wall. You get the idea. Now- this isn't nearly as bad as it used to be in North Jersey. The Devils have made tremendous progress growing the fanbase, and NJ has become Devils Country gradually over the years. The winning certainly helped that along. But there are always gonna be Ranger fans around, and its a lot more pronounced when they're winning. Its also about me driving to work and seeing cars with Rangers license plate frames and bumper stickers, and in one case, a decal of Calvin (of the Calvin and Hobbs comic strip) in a Rangers shirt peeing on a Devils logo. 5 miles from my front door. In Northwest NJ. I don't have any Rags fans in my immediate family (thankfully), but I did grow up with and attend school with almost as many Ranger fans as I did Devils fans. In my hometown. In Northwest NJ. This is where the hate stems from. Then add 6- count 'em, SIX- playoff meetings to that over 20 years. 4 of which we lost. You get the picture yet? Then we have the Ranger fans coming to our building and trampsing around like they own the place. You don't hate the Rangers? Well then, you should've been there in 2008. When Queen Dickface took a victory lap and waved to Rag fans in celebration IN OUR BUILDING. All this with derisive MAAARTY chants in the background. You get it YET? I hope so. I hope that gives you an idea what this rivalry is like here at the local level. Ok rant over lol.

Like I have said, I do get it because everything you explained is the same as Toronto/Ottawa...the difference being I think the Senators and their fans have made major strides in Ottawa.

The Leafs fans own Corel Centre/Scotia Bank Place/Canadian Tire Centre when they are in town, so much so that a Senators hero (Alfredsson) was booed every time he touched the puck for a decade in his own building against the Senators. So I think I understand it...

Anyway, I think this discussion has run its course. Continue with the regular scheduled programming, and I'll step out.

Oh well, more pain for them the better.

Oh well, more pain for them the better.

Some people here discuss Rangers fans like they are the most obnoxious kind of fans in the world, but the dynamic fascinates me for a few reasons: Firstly, as many have said, so many of their friends happen to be Rangers fans, siblings, parents, aunts and uncles are Rangers fans. We are talking about friends and family here! How insufferable can they be? I have to assume these people are good people, so it can be anything more than good old-fashioned friendly jawing, right?

Secondly, because of where you live and the Sports teams around it, the very same people many find insufferable idiot sports fans, happen to be on the same team in sports fandom when it comes to the Yankees/Mets, Giants/Jets, Red Bulls and maybe now Brooklyn Nets. Do these people suddenly become different when it isn't the Rangers? Does their arrogance suddenly change when rooting for a different team? Do you stop and say I am a Giants and Yankees fan, but man I simply can't associate with these fans because that same annoyance or cockiness resonates for other teams. Or as I imagine, because you root for the same team, it doesn't matter anymore because you are now "brothers" in fandom.

As everyone here has a story about a Rangers fan, all of them have been made out to make them so insufferable. CR1976 has the funny post about a Rangers fan bringing up 1994 and the Rangers going through NJ and winning the Cup, and the Devils not doing the same in 2012. It's silly, but god knows that's what we'd be doing if it was the other way around because that's all you got. We laugh about 1994, and everything the Rangers have done to honour that team since then, and rightfully fvcking so..rightfully fvcking so, it's absolutely embarrassing, but time flies, and it's been 11 years since the Devils won anything. If the Rangers do happen to win the Cup and brag about it, Devils fans will be responding with outdated comebacks. I hope many realize that, and I bet many do and that's what scares you about the Rangers winning. If the Rangers win the Cup in 2014, 2012 does become irrelevant. It would almost be like Rangers fans bringing up 1997 after the Devils won the Cup in 2000.

Disregarding a Rangers Cup win and saying, "well we still outnumber you in the last 50+ years" becomes just as pointless and soon Devils fans will become like Rangers fans talking about 1994. It's old news and desperate.

Obviously not all Ranger fans are obnoxious or insufferable, but it seems like quite a few are. I think the annoyance for a lot of NJ natives is when they see fellow NJ natives pretty much sh!t on our own state and only team that carries the NJ name. Hell, I've seen people that jumped on the Devils bandwagon in 2012 spending money on Rangers gear and tickets now which is really frustrating. It gets annoying after awhile. My brother is a die-hard Ranger fan and despite the Devils winning their 3 cups while I still lived with him growing up, I always made a point of it to never rub it in his face, especially right after it happened. This was because I wouldn't want him to do the same to me if the roles were reversed (I was 6 in 94 so I wasn't as sensitive to it then). Fortunately for me and my brother it doesn't get nasty unlike him vs some of his friends who are Devils fans. We pretty much just don't talk a lot like we usually do during the playoffs which kinda sucks but is for the best.

There are some parallels in your Toronto - Ottawa comparison but the best way I can put it is that the NJ - NY area is just weird, very weird. Some people move back and forth from each place from generation to generation so you can have families split in the same sport. With so many teams (3 NHL, 2 NBA, 2 MLB, 2 NFL, 2* MLS) you end up with so many different combinations of fans. I'm a Yankees fan but I will say that I find a lot of them, like Ranger fans, obnoxious. Honestly if NJ ever had its own MLB or NBA team, I'd switch. I'm not saying all NJ fans are perfect, just that I don't really identify with the typical NY sports fan.

The only time I bring up 95-00-03 to my bro is when he will pop in his 1994 boxset DVD's or show me his new 1994 gear that further commemorates that Cup or when he brings up how 95 was "half a Cup" or how funny it was they lost in the finals in 01, 12. Essentially I am scared of a Rangers Cup this year since I would have absolutely nothing to say in response. It's just demoralizing as a Devils fan, especially since the way things have shaked out in recent years.

Sorry if this is me rambling on or incoherent, I'm very tired.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Well, I did that after we lost to you in 2012. Agreed completely on the format. It's disappointing how much NBC/CBC spread out the series. It's the Conference Finals and it's being treated like the NBA. It hurts each series. I knew we would lose Game 3. That extra day benefited the Habs. Maybe this time around, it helps the Rangers with Brassard. My gut feeling is the Game 4 winner will advance. I am definitely concerned. Especially if Stepan can't go.

In 2000, I went for Dallas. But it would've been nice to see Buffalo beat them the year before. For LOTCB (Brian). Nobody has had it tougher than him. Neither of our sides have had to deal with as much heartache as Sabres fans. Same for Blues. They are mirror images. In 2003, I wanted Ottawa of course. But once you made it, I knew they wouldn't lose to Anaheim. Especially in Game 7.

Biggest rival? It depends who you ask. The old-time fan will say the Islanders. It's sad that they won't be on Long Island anymore. Barclays is not great. If you're going off recent history, it's the Devils. The hatred is pretty intense. But it's more Devils fans. Personally, I hate the Pens the most. That series game me more satisfaction than what they did in 2012. I can't stand them. The Crosby network. The league ignoring what their stars get away with. Mario Lemieux. They are the definition of loathsome. I can't respect guys like Neal and Kunitz. Crosby will never compare to Toews. He's not a true leader. Would a real superstar vanish as frequently as he has when teams play him tough? Don't forget the Flyers even though the first round series lacked emotion. It was weird.

I'm not sure I answered your question. But you might want to rethink how our fanbase feels towards the Pens.

I think with some teams, you have your long-time rivals, the Hadfields to your McCoys.  For you, I think it's the Islanders...it doesn't matter if both teams are good, both are bad, or only one is relevant...the hatred is always there, and those games have a way of stirring up their fanbases.  The Devils have become a similar entity for you for sure.  That absurd regular-season unbeaten streak the Devils enjoyed at the Rangers' expense had to have added to the hatred on your side (just like the Devils losing to them in the playoffs in '92, '94 and '97 did to us).  

On our side, I think it's the Rangers and the Flyers, especially since there's been a fair number of memorable playoff matchups over the last 20 years.  I attended the elimination game in 2008, and it was beyond awful...Avery doing his thing and actually succeeding, Ranger fans coming into the building and taking over while the Devils fans in attendance just sat there and let it happen...just sucked on every level.  One of my lowest and most disappointing moments as a Devils fan.  I don't really let awful moments like that linger on and on, but 2008 (losing to the Rangers in five), 2009 (losing to the 'Canes in seven in murderously excruciating fashion), and 2010 (getting waxed by the Flyers in five) were rough...especially since each series looked very similar at times, with the Devils looking 2-3 steps slower than their opponent, unable to receive passes cleanly, looking easily overwhelmed.  And when you factor in that the Devils were now meekly and almost routinely losing playoff series in five games (Flyers in 2004, 'Canes in the second round in 2006, Ottawa in 2007), though it's clearly always great to make the playoffs at all, the Devils had become a relatively easy out.  And the less said about 2011 (10-29-2 first half), the better.  2012 and beating both the Flyers AND the Rangers in winning the Eastern Conference was almost NEEDED at that point.  It allowed us all to wash the lingering bad tastes of 2004, 2008, and 2010 and the recent poor playoff performances out of our mouths, almost all at once.  That season still would have been terrific no matter who the Devils faced to get to the SCF, but there was something very catharic about beating the Flyers and Rangers to get there.

Anyway, I think the Pens have kind of become a "short-term" rival for you.  That can happen for a number of reasons...a particularly bloody playoff series, a succession of chippy games played against each other, a relatively high frequency of playoff matchups in a relatively short period of time, etc.  At times for the Devils, that's been the Leafs, the 'Canes, the Senators...the ironic thing is the Devils have actually held their own against the Pens in the regular season, so much so that their fans were afraid of facing the Devils in the playoffs this season...though I don't like Crosby or the Pens (I hate that they just luck/tank their way into getting generational talents), I don't really put in them in the fierce rival category.  The 'Canes have become a rival mostly by virtue of having beaten the Devils in the playoffs in 2002, 2006, and 2009...and I've never been a fan of Batboy Eric Staal.  THAT'S a team the Devils really need to beat whenever they meet again in the playoffs, for sanity's sake. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Uhhh. I am hating this flavour of the week stuff. Toews is an excellent player that has all the qualities you want, but Crosby is soooo much better than Toews. The Penguins have had some touch years and the Hawks have been dominant, but that has little to do with Crosby and Toews but the players around them and their respective GMs. The Hawks have such a better team. Toews can disappear for an entire playoffs and no one can notice. I think Toews went 20 straight games without a goal in last years playoff run. The rest of his team propped him up long enough for him to score a couple of goals late in the series. 6 goals in 36 playoff games for Toews, but no one ever wanted to bring that up.

The playoffs are such a tiny sample size. The regular season has told us enough that there should be no other player in the league then you want than Sidney Crosby. Start an expansion team. You can take Toews, and I'll take Crosby. I think my team will be doing a lot better all other things equal.

• Like 1

Lol feeling bad for the Rangers and their fans. The hell is this?

You think their fans felt bad for the Devils when they were basement dwellers early on? Hm?

It's a rivalry. Embrace the hatred.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lol feeling bad for the Rangers and their fans. The hell is this?

You think their fans felt bad for the Devils when they were basement dwellers early on? Hm?

It's a rivalry. Embrace the hatred.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I always come back to this video.

This is getting goooooood: Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva:

#rangers AV about what MT said about Derick Brassard injury:"hope nothing will happen to Derick or Michel will be in trouble." #tvasports

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun:

Vigneault calls what Therrien did at practice yesterday "uncalled for." Regarding Habs coach telling Rangers assistants to leave

Vigneault says Stepan definitely out for tonight. No timetable for his return

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva:

#rangers AV is saying that their is no unwritten rules about practices. Said his team was threatened unfairly yesterday. #tvasports

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger:

Vigneault also said "lucky it didn't escalate," talking about Montreal demanding security remove Ulf Samuelson from Habs prax yesterday.

Edited by MadDog2020