Devils Name Jacques Lemaire Head Coach

nmigliore

baseball managers do nothing. i mean, basically all they do is hurt their teams with idiotic sacrifice bunts, poor bullpen management, so it's just a question of how much pain they inflict. but the effect of a manager is incredibly limited in baseball. i think nhl coaches have more of an impact than baseball managers and i don't think it's close.

the worry about jacques's age is that he will have a tough season, realize he has around 10 million stanley cups, and will go home. or that his thinking is inflexible and stuck in the mid-90s. none of those coaches cited allay those fears.

Edited by Triumph

baseball managers do nothing. i mean, basically all they do is hurt their teams with idiotic sacrifice bunts, poor bullpen management, so it's just a question of how much pain they inflict. but the effect of a manager is incredibly limited in baseball. i think nhl coaches have more of an impact than baseball managers and i don't think it's close.

the worry about jacques's age is that he will have a tough season, realize he has around 10 million stanley cups, and will go home. or that his thinking is inflexible and stuck in the mid-90s. none of those coaches cited allay those fears.

I agree that you run that risk (i.e. Larry Brown with the Knicks) but 63 is the new 55 baby! By the time I reach that age I probably won't be able to collect social security until 70 (if it exists at all) :ponzi scheme

I think what everyone here is worried about that he is just starting his new stint as Devils coach at this age, that he won't last long from here.

Sutter was young and was supposed to be the brave leader who would bring us into our next era of Devils hockey. He lasted two years.

Unless your name is Barry Trotz or Lindy Ruff, you ain't lasting long with any one team as an NHL coach. At least with Lemaire we won't have any dilusions of him sticking around forever and we can actually put a plan in place for a long-term replacement (like letting Johnny Mac test his head coaching abilities in the AHL, for example).

• 2 weeks later...