Rock Solid

The Rock 07

newjerseydevils.com

Here is a very good and detailed article on Vanderbeek and some things that are on the plate for the Devils in the upcoming weeks, months and years. And it has a sick picture of Shaq and Dano as well (have to scroll down)

- Currently he's going over Nets "artwork" for the arena

-Transitioning the arena for getting the Nets in

-Disappointed by the first round exit- "missed opportunity"

-“I believe in New Jersey. I believe it’s a great place to live. I believe that there are very prideful people here that can get behind the only team that has an ‘NJ’ on its chest; that is committed from A to Z in the state. I believe in the economic engine of the state.”

-Prudential Center has helped to fuel that engine, generating nearly $15 million in economic activity and creating 708 jobs, according to a story last month in The New York Times. The arena staffs 1,400 employees on event nights.

- On Kovy..

“I think it is [early], for a lot of reasons,” Vanderbeek says. “He’s playing in the World Championship; we’re going through our post-mortem, if you will, for the season. We don’t even know where the salary cap’s going to end up for next year. For all of those reasons, it is premature. We’re certainly going to do what we can to sign Kovalchuk for next year, but there’s a lot of pieces to that puzzle.”

-Home sellouts nearly doubled, improving to 18 from the previous season’s 10. Then there were moments like March 17, when the team wore its original red and green colors for the first time since 1992 and completed a series sweep of Pittsburgh. Current plans are to have the team go retro once a season.

-NHL knows NJ wants the Winter Classic

-Work is underway on a “burger and brew” eatery next to the Brick City Coffee Co., which opened last season. Two sports bars are planned for Edison Place across from the arena box office, and are expected to open during the upcoming season. Designs have been submitted for Triangle Park, which will be located across from the front of the arena on Mulberry Street. The park’s groundbreaking could happen as early as this fall.

Construction will begin on a Courtyard by Marriott on the corner of Broad and Lafayette streets following a groundbreaking targeted for Sept. 1.

-Very excited for Nets coming as it gives the arena more exposure

-“We’re just starting to hit our stride with that 25-year-old that grew up with the Devils and are hitting that age where they can actually afford to buy Devils tickets. Our future is bright in that regard. Certainly, being New Jersey’s team is a special thing for us.”

-“We made the playoffs for 19 of 20 seasons, we set a record for the longest number of years over .500 of any active team in the four leagues, so it’s 132 teams,” Vanderbeek says. “That doesn’t come by accident. We’re going to continue to do whatever it takes to make this team the best it can be with the goal to win the Stanley Cup. If you come see us, that’s what you’re going to see.

-“And if you haven’t seen what I think is the most beautiful arena in the world, you need to come see it.

Edited by The Rock 07

newjerseydevils.com

-Work is underway on a “burger and brew” eatery next to the Brick City Coffee Co., which opened last season. Two sports bars are planned for Edison Place across from the arena box office, and are expected to open during the upcoming season. Designs have been submitted for Triangle Park, which will be located across from the front of the arena on Mulberry Street. The park’s groundbreaking could happen as early as this fall.

Awesome, just awesome.

Artwork for the Nets?! The most they deserve are little post-it notes with the word "NETS" on them in each urinal at the arena.

I am, however, looking forward to that Burger and Brew place along with the 2 sports bars that are opening. The sooner the better and I really hope they are at least cheaper and roomier than Brick City Bar & Grill.

Current plans are to have the team go retro once a season.

koolaid.gifbanana.gifkoolaid.gif Hell yeah baby! gitsum green!!!

NHL knows NJ wants the Winter Classic

Hell yeah, Back to the Ghettolands for 1 game! koolaid.gif

vbkfans.jpg

I'm diggin the chick with the kryptonite on Jeffs left arm. Looks like an Amy I used to do ... know.

The area really doesnt need another bar and grill. Lets get some residential development and constant foot-traffic in the vicinity.

Totally disagree. There needs to be a few more resaurants surrounding to liven things up around the stadium a bit more and add to the choices of bars/grills next to the stadium. The park they're putting up is also a great idea. In addition to all that there def needs to be some nice residential development (which there is quite a bit already)

Totally disagree. There needs to be a few more resaurants surrounding to liven things up around the stadium a bit more and add to the choices of bars/grills next to the stadium. The park they're putting up is also a great idea. In addition to all that there def needs to be some nice residential development (which there is quite a bit already)

I don't think the area needs more bars just yet. I know of one which I'm not mentioning that is about to sell because they just don't do well enough on non-game nights. That area gets killed economically in the off season.

I don't think the area needs more bars just yet. I know of one which I'm not mentioning that is about to sell because they just don't do well enough on non-game nights. That area gets killed economically in the off season.

If the area put up more places to dine and hang out then it would be more lively and give people a reason to stop by during the offseason. No one is going to go to Brick City Bar and Grill in the offseason just to hang there in Newark with nothing else around.

If the area put up more places to dine and hang out then it would be more lively and give people a reason to stop by during the offseason. No one is going to go to Brick City Bar and Grill in the offseason just to hang there in Newark with nothing else around.

Not really. It's Newark, it's not going to be some "weekend" destination to hang out. It has a very long way to go. Operating a place around the arena, that depends on arena business, it's like running a summer business at the beach. during the indoor sports season, especially next year when the Nets come in, business will be good. when the teams are done, business will be awful, and you could justify not even opening.

Not really. It's Newark, it's not going to be some "weekend" destination to hang out. It has a very long way to go. Operating a place around the arena, that depends on arena business, it's like running a summer business at the beach. during the indoor sports season, especially next year when the Nets come in, business will be good. when the teams are done, business will be awful, and you could justify not even opening.

Yes, it has a long way to go no doubt. Any you could def justify not even opening, even for places a few blocks away like HK. But, you have to start somewhere. I am not acting like it will become a weekend destination but rather a place to go for an hour or two.

Edited by ben00rs

Yes, it has a long way to go no doubt. Any you could def justify not even opening, even for places a few blocks away like HK. But, you have to start somewhere. I am not acting like it will become a weekend destination but rather a place to go for an hour or two.

I think the better idea financially is to wait until the existing bars and restaurants are PACKED and overflowing with patrons before opening new ones. Otherwise you have places that are not filling up... and the same amount of people in the area for MORE venues now. It would hurt the existing places and give low earnings to the new ones.

I think the better idea financially is to wait until the existing bars and restaurants are PACKED and overflowing with patrons before opening new ones. Otherwise you have places that are not filling up... and the same amount of people in the area for MORE venues now. It would hurt the existing places and give low earnings to the new ones.

Agreed

Do you mean packed during the season? If so have you been to Brick City Bar and Grill? It's always packed around gametime. If you mean during the offseason then they will never be packed, especially not until more restaurants come up around it. More restaurants will help the area financially. Think about roads like the East Hanover part of route 10 or the Union part of 22. Imagine those roads had only a few restaurants on them. No one would go. Adding restaurants adds to the flow of traffic and adds to the visibility of the area. You don't wait for the places already there to get packed, that's not how it works at all. Imagine the strip around Pru had restaurants all along it, a park, maybe a movie theater and perhaps a club. Or we could stick with your idea of waiting for the few restaurants there to get business that's never going to come and leave the area dead.

Do you mean packed during the season? If so have you been to Brick City Bar and Grill? It's always packed around gametime. If you mean during the offseason then they will never be packed, especially not until more restaurants come up around it. More restaurants will help the area financially. Think about roads like the East Hanover part of route 10 or the Union part of 22. Imagine those roads had only a few restaurants on them. No one would go. Adding restaurants adds to the flow of traffic and adds to the visibility of the area. You don't wait for the places already there to get packed, that's not how it works at all. Imagine the strip around Pru had restaurants all along it, a park, maybe a movie theater and perhaps a club. Or we could stick with your idea of waiting for the few restaurants there to get business that's never going to come and leave the area dead.

I like your motivation but it's still missing some steps. There ARE enough bars and restaurants. Hop over the traintracks into the heart of Ironbound. There are places to eat and drink every ten feet. See what happened to University Heights? The new K Hovnanian properties that went up all around the schools... the nice townhouse-condos. Something like that needs to be built around the arena. When the Richardson Lofts are completed, that will house people very close to the arena. The hotel will help.

I have seen a good amount of Red Bulls fans in the area before and after games which is good. The area needs some development. And a few years of having the Devils/Nets/Pirates/Red Bulls fans wandering the area. The fact that the places don't do well in the offseason is leading to bankruptcy in a few cases. A bar that is ALWAYS packed before and after Devils games is in a lot of trouble and will most likely sell because of the bleak offseason.

Newark itself needs work in the area to keep people coming back when the Devils aren't playing. Ironbound is fine, but there are a few things that need to happen to make the immediate arena area part of that whole neighborhood. It needs to be linked by housing.

Edited by njdevil26

I like your motivation but it's still missing some steps. There ARE enough bars and restaurants. Hop over the traintracks into the heart of Ironbound. There are places to eat and drink every ten feet. See what happened to University Heights? The new K Hovnanian properties that went up all around the schools... the nice townhouse-condos. Something like that needs to be built around the arena. When the Richardson Lofts are completed, that will house people very close to the arena. The hotel will help.

I have seen a good amount of Red Bulls fans in the area before and after games which is good. The area needs some development. And a few years of having the Devils/Nets/Pirates/Red Bulls fans wandering the area. The fact that the places don't do well in the offseason is leading to bankruptcy in a few cases. A bar that is ALWAYS packed before and after Devils games is in a lot of trouble and will most likely sell because of the bleak offseason.

Newark itself needs work in the area to keep people coming back when the Devils aren't playing. Ironbound is fine, but there are a few things that need to happen to make the immediate arena area part of that whole neighborhood. It needs to be linked by housing.

Once again, I completely agree that the area needs resedential development. It is also true that the Ironbound section has an amazing array of places. However, I am clearly referring to the area directly surrounding the stadium. Most Devils' fans aren't going to go into the Ironbound section nor do they know much about the area. Nor do general folks who just like to go to BCBG. The issue here is not how to build on Newark as a whole (that is another debate), the issue here is building the area directly around the stadium.

Okay, stupid question from someone who doesn't live in the area. Isn't there a minor-league baseball team in Newark? Or is that stadium too far away from The Rock and the various bars and other restaurants to make a difference?

Looking at a map, it's like Newark has been playing Connect The Dots with its major projects. Starting with Riverfront Stadium on the north side, Prudential Center to the south and the NJPAC right in the middle.

If it was New York or Boston or Philly it wouldn't be THAT far away. But it's Newark, so yeah, it is that far away.

Okay, stupid question from someone who doesn't live in the area. Isn't there a minor-league baseball team in Newark? Or is that stadium too far away from The Rock and the various bars and other restaurants to make a difference?

There is non-affiliated minor-league baseball several blocks away next to Broad Street Station. Its not very close to the Rock & the crowds there are pretty small. I've been going to games there pretty much since it opened. At one point I believe they were out-drawing the Montreal Expos, but its really a shell of its former self. One of the league's original teams in Atlantic City folded a few years back

The Newark Bears play at Bears and Eagles Riverfront Stadium, which is about a 20 minute walk down Broad Street from the arena, give or take a few minutes. It has zero bearing on the development around the Rock, and could use some development in its vicinity itself. The Bears don't draw flies, and it's really sad, because I rather like the park. A horrible atmosphere from all the ghosts in attendance makes me want to not go though. Brooklyn Cyclones for me.

Looking at a map, it's like Newark has been playing Connect The Dots with its major projects. Starting with Riverfront Stadium on the north side, Prudential Center to the south and the NJPAC right in the middle.

If it was New York or Boston or Philly it wouldn't be THAT far away. But it's Newark, so yeah, it is that far away.

well, it was done piecemeal, so there's not much you can do. the baseball stadium location is awful. there is nothing there at all. I guess that's where they had land, so that's where they put it.

The baseball stadium was originally supposed to be built further down on the waterfront near the FBI building and NJPAC. But they chose that location instead.

And yes, downtown needs more residential development. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. However, it's been 3 years and for the arena not to have one ground level restaurant is pitiful(I don't care what the excuse is), so it's about time they got to that. But for those of you saying how these businesses will fail bigtime during the offseason, you realize this is the central business district, right? BCBG and Scully's have gotten lunch crowds. Just have the places closed on Sundays and open limited hours on Saturdays until more housing pops up.