Doc in NHL 15

Bonginator11

I hear ya, I just don't see why they can't show roughly 10 seconds or so of actual gameplay.  With the power of these systems, we know the fluff footage is going to look awesome.

And not that I'm complaining, but it's kind of funny how no one makes an East-to-West hockey game anymore (basically what you'd see on TV).  The original Nintendo hockey, Blades of Steel...I think there was an ESPN Hockey for the Genesis waaaaaaay back in the day that was the first (and maybe only) one to offer both East-to-West and North-to-South views. 

I'm stuck on NHL 2K5 myself...the AI goes into cheap mode sometimes (basically decides it's going to win no matter what you do), but I just happen to like that one.  I have NHL 14 but haven't really dove into it yet.   

I liked those games for the simplicity and the fact that they try to make the games as close to the real NHL teams as possible without doing so otherwise they would have violated the NHL licensing contracts (basically those games didn't have one).

I think the last NHL game I really liked was NHL 2002.  I had it for my PC and used a controller that was an exact copy of the PS2 controller and played it for days on end for months.  I got NHL 2003 and just wasn't into it as much as 2002.  Since then haven't even bothered to keep up as my interest in modern video games pretty much dried up for good.

This was Sega Saturn's NHL All-Star Hockey...it came out in '96.  The intro was pretty cool for the time...hockey footage spliced in with in-game action...with Snap's "I got the power!" blaring away...it did have a way of getting you excited, especially since pseudo 3D-arena and ice graphics were quite a novelty back then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBxpMmcZ1g

The game itself was beyond awful.  Lots of camera angles, just about all of which were terrible.  Poor control.  Butt-ugly logoless, faceless, nameless, and numberless players.  But it WAS a beginning and a sign of things to come, just like the Wright Bros' first airplane (which never flew so much as a mile before crashing). 

The 32-bit games are aging especially badly...the low-res graphics of that era are quite painful to watch now (though they seemed awesome then).

NHL Powerplay 98...this one was pretty good for the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCekcqJg2e4

EA 98 for the Saturn and Playstation...the PS version looked FAR better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPqeo0bU7b0

The worst hockey game I have ever played was Stanley Cup Hockey for SNES.  It was a very attempt at pseudo-3D hockey playing and it came with the standard blocky graphics, faceless players, and badly-drawn logos.  You could overlook those and have a decent game, but the part that made it awful was the nauseating camera.  It was early on and I guess the developers didn't really have much of a clue as to how to do it in such a radical style so their idea was to put the camera slighty behind and above the player who has a puck and keep it there.  So whenever another player took the puck, passed it, or just even turned, pretty much the entire world moved with it too and it would make you puke after a single period.

I mean just look at this sh!t:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr0XiLa0LhM

The worst hockey game I have ever played was Stanley Cup Hockey for SNES.  It was a very attempt at pseudo-3D hockey playing and it came with the standard blocky graphics, faceless players, and badly-drawn logos.  You could overlook those and have a decent game, but the part that made it awful was the nauseating camera.  It was early on and I guess the developers didn't really have much of a clue as to how to do it in such a radical style so their idea was to put the camera slighty behind and above the player who has a puck and keep it there.  So whenever another player took the puck, passed it, or just even turned, pretty much the entire world moved with it too and it would make you puke after a single period.

I'd forgotten about that one. I got a headache just watching that video.

And I am pretty sure (though not 100% so I could be wrong) that you could change the speed settings of the game.  I remember the game being faster than in that video.  Imagine how that looked.

Good ol' Mode 7 (that mode allowed for pretty good graphics for racing games, like Mario Kart, F-Zero, etc).  Also allowed for crude texture-mapping. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7

Suffice it to say it's just horribly misused here.  The stadium/fan graphics look so odd (like they're 10 miles away).  And yes, a follow-the-puck camera is pretty nauseating.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hahaha my friend had that game and whenever we would start playing that I would wonder why I bothered to go over his house that day when I had NHLPA 93 and NHL 95 at home.  I still play those old games once in a while but I like the new ones too.  The graphics and stuff don't matter much to me, but the gameplay is infinitely more realistic.  In the old games I used to try to score goals by circling around everybody with one player, but in the new games you usually have to cycle the puck and play defense more realistically. 

I used to love NHL 2K5 too, and at the time I found that to be by far the most realistic hockey video game, but I tried playing it again a year or so ago and found it almost as unrealistic as the Super Nintendo games as far as gameplay goes.  It's hard to go back from the skill stick.  I hated it at first, but once you're used to it you appreciate how much more control you have.

Another hockey game I used to play goes for my vote for the most fustrating hockey game ever made (Stanley Cup hockey is just the plain worst hockey game ever made).  That is Super Slap Shot for SNES.

Basically controls are pass, check, shoot high, shoot low and thats it.  You choose countries instead of actual NHL teams (didn't have NHL license).  You have to make sure you pick the 1st or 2nd best team in the game to have a shot.  Most hockey games have it where you can pick the 1st best and let's same 10th best team and the person with the 10th best still has a good shot to win if he has decent skills.  In Super Slap Shot that doesn't matter.  Whoever has the better team has a huge advantage as the disparity from the best team in the game to the 5th best team is HUGE.  If you pick anything other than the 1st or 2nd best team you might as well not play.

Scoring is a bitch as no matter how bad the skaters are, the goalies switch between being Domimik Hasek and Hardy Astrom depending on what the game decides to do that day.  The most consistent way of scoring is to shoot low, hope for a juicy rebound, pick up the pick and score high.  Other than that its a crap shoot and you better pray your goalie is deciding to not play like sh!t otherwise he will be letting goals in from the corner by even with the goal line (hated those).

As for the faceoff, there is no words.  It's....just....unbelievable.  Check it out at the 50 second mark in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLd7dSgRgAw

Since the topic is nostalgic hockey games, this game was the bees knees

I remember the blockbuster by me would always be out of this game but when they finally did have it in stock it was like christmas.

Also since doc is doing NHL 15 it reminds me of playing NHL faceoff from 989 sports. The game was atrocious but it was fun being a 10 yr old and laying people out with the crazy hipchecks that game had.

Also rock the rink for ps1 and NHL hitz for xbox were great to play all night at sleepovers as an little 8th grader hopped up on Mr Green, Pepsi blue, sprite remix, or surge. ......god I miss the 90s and early 2000s....

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

Mario Lemieux hockey for the Genesis was basically Super Slap Shot with NHL teams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBfABZfAA3M

re:  BH's post above...crowd texture mapping was so awful for the longest time. 

Hah I was just about to post on NHL Faceoff 99 because of Doc and Darren Pang that game was kinda cool...but yeah that game was also a pita to score in unless you use the cheat of dumping the puck in and intercepting a weak goalie clearance.

NHL 2K for the Sega Dreamcast...I couldn't wait to get it, but once I had it, it didn't really do much for me.  It was criticized for being too hard to score, and that criticism was accurate.  Looking at this footage, I'm starting to wonder if I should've given it more of a chance. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1NFNPOEF7U

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just 60, lucky.  I'll have to pony up for the new system to boot.

Samesies.  :glare:      I think I might settle and stick with the Xbox 360 version and have the next gen console for the next game they put out. 

And not that I'm complaining, but it's kind of funny how no one makes an East-to-West hockey game anymore (basically what you'd see on TV).  The original Nintendo hockey, Blades of Steel...I think there was an ESPN Hockey for the Genesis waaaaaaay back in the day that was the first (and maybe only) one to offer both East-to-West and North-to-South views. 

I'm stuck on NHL 2K5 myself...the AI goes into cheap mode sometimes (basically decides it's going to win no matter what you do), but I just happen to like that one.  I have NHL 14 but haven't really dove into it yet.   

In NHL 13 or 14, they introduced a camera mode that allowed you to play like it was a real broadcast.  It's called true broadcast mode.  I'm sure NHL15 will bring it back for this game as well.  It looks amazing if you like to play that way. 

That true broadcast mode is pretty sick...does anyone use it?

I only use it when I play against friends on the same console.  I'm sure plenty of other use it more.  It's SO much better when playing against friends in the traditional way where the camera is facing top-down or south facing north, with one player facing upwards, which makes it simple to use the skill stick thing, but the player that is going down has a huge problem and disadvantage because the skill stick is used for shooting as well so for example, normally you pull back on the right stick and push it up in order to shoot to perform your run of the mill slapshot.  So it's extremely awkward for 2 periods of the game for the player facing down. 

The true broadcast mode is awesome and a great remedy for this problem.

Edited by RizzMB30