Scott Wedgewood's new goalie mask

iamtheprodigy

2zQvyUh.jpg

tsxPHzb.jpg

It's pretty sick. It also would seem to imply that he's pretty serious about becoming a Devil. I like how he pays tribute to the Cup seasons, showing he's proud to be a part of a winning organization. It's nice to think that he's repping the Devils down in the ECHL.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

I wonder how far away he is.  I don't go by his ECHL numbers (they're nothing special...Marty's season in Utica before he came up to the Devils for good wasn't eye-appealing either)...I'm guessing the Devils are hoping for 2014-15 to be the year he may be able to make the team...he'll be 22 years old then.  Man the days of Marty being in the Devils net are coming to an end fast...when Marty made his NHL debut, Wedgewood hadn't even been born yet.

I wonder how far away he is.  I don't go by his ECHL numbers (they're nothing special...Marty's season in Utica before he came up to the Devils for good wasn't eye-appealing either)...I'm guessing the Devils are hoping for 2014-15 to be the year he may be able to make the team...he'll be 22 years old then.  Man the days of Marty being in the Devils net are coming to an end fast...when Marty made his NHL debut, Wedgewood hadn't even been born yet.

Man i will be a 30 or 31 years old man when marty will retire... And im firmly convinced that im gonna cry lol

Incredible mask! One of the best designs I have ever seen!

I think he has the highest potential out of any of the other goalies in the organization (Frazee, Kinkaid, Clermont). While his ECHL numbers may not be appealing to the eye, it is important to realize that he is playing on one of the worst teams in the league. I often read about how he is essentially a 1 man show for the Titans.

Incredible mask! One of the best designs I have ever seen!

I think he has the highest potential out of any of the other goalies in the organization (Frazee, Kinkaid, Clermont). While his ECHL numbers may not be appealing to the eye, it is important to realize that he is playing on one of the worst teams in the league. I often read about how he is essentially a 1 man show for the Titans.

That's why I'm not making any big deal about Wedge's numbers...only so much a goalie can do playing on a bad team...just ask Chico Resch. 

I think Frazee's days as a potential successor to Marty are done...he's going to be 26 years old at the end of this season, and Kinkaid is getting much more of the playing time for Albany.  Kinda sucks in that the guy was a former 2nd-rounder.  If both Marty and Moose finish this season with good numbers, it wouldn't surprise me if the Devils went with that same tandem one last time next season (crazy as that might sound, given their ages) while Wedge gets promoted to Albany (maybe the end of the road for Frazee at that point)...depending on how next season goes, I'm thinking Kinkaid or Wedgewood get a shot to make the team in 2014-2015, and if Brodeur has a good 2013-14 and decides he wants to play one more season, the Devils sign him for one swan song, mentoring kind of season.  Of course, the semi-disaster scenario would be if Kinkaid (who the Devils probably don't view as their next NHL #1 anyway) or Wedgewood both struggle next season...then Lou probably has to go outside the organization.  Not sure what Clermont brings...guess we won't know that for a couple of years yet. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I've seen him start 3 times so far. 2 of them he looked solid.

Then there was the bizzare incident where he came in relief for the Flyers goalie who was ejected for shooting the puck after a goal which almost hit a ref and went into the stands.

Kinkaid has a .915 SV% in Albany as the starter, don't know why everyone is assuming that Wedgewood would leap over him.

No one is assuming anything.  Kinkaid's save% doesn't mean anything right this second.  I think a lot of what Brodeur and Hedberg do over the rest of this season dictates what happens next season, and how quickly a young goalie in the Devils' system gets a shot.  If a spot is open by next season, Kinkaid probably has the inside track on it.  If it's not until the following season, then I'm guessing Kinkaid and Wedge probably get a training camp to win a spot...and that if Brodeur calls it quits either by choice or by force, some decent veteran will be brought in to at least not leave the goaltending to a couple of unprovens.  But if it comes down to some kind of competition between Kinkaid and Wedge, even though the Devils probably think Wedge is the future, I don't think he's a lock, if Kinkaid flat-out outplays him.  I think the Devils will go with whoever deserves the job. 

Wedgewood has two top ten finishes in SV% in the OHL and is currently toiling in the ECHL. He's proven nothing so far, although it would be nice to see him get some time in the AHL this year. It will always come down to who they think deserves the job - I imagine they are aiming for Kinkaid to become at least a backup by 2014-15. Another .915 SV% type season in the A and he'll be ready-ish.

Triumph, on 06 Feb 2013 - 10:42, said:

Kinkaid has a .915 SV% in Albany as the starter, don't know why everyone is assuming that Wedgewood would leap over him.

Brodeur had a .884 sv% in Utica. That number really doesn't matter as much as how a player adapts to the NHL. Either Kinkaid or Wedgewood has a good chance of being the first non-Marty starter in 20 years by 2014-15 or 15-16.

The reason people see an NHL future out of Wedgewood is because he had three great seasons in the OHL, played well in 2 of his 3 starts in the World Juniors in 2012, and has already started to develop a reputation of being a 'clutch' (it exists) goalie. I like Kinkaid a lot, and it's pretty clear he will get the shot before Wedgewood does, but it's not hard to see that Wedgewood (who is 3 years younger than Kinkaid) is ahead of the curve.

Kinkaid looks fantastic in his own right... you can see the Marty influence in his game.

As for Wedgewood, he has more of a Carey Price style. Very quick getting up and down into the butterfly, and it looks like he doesn't waste a whole lot of movement.

Both goalies can play the puck... check out Wedgewood's assist in this one, plus a post game chant from the Edmonton crowd and an interview.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Brodeur had a .884 sv% in Utica. That number really doesn't matter as much as how a player adapts to the NHL. Either Kinkaid or Wedgewood has a good chance of being the first non-Marty starter in 20 years by 2014-15 or 15-16.

1992-93 was the highest scoring year in the NHL in some time and was an expansion year to boot. Throwing out AHL save percentages as meaningless on the basis of one season doesn't make sense - goalies who have better AHL save percentages tend to have better NHL save percentages.

The reason people see an NHL future out of Wedgewood is because he had three great seasons in the OHL, played well in 2 of his 3 starts in the World Juniors in 2012, and has already started to develop a reputation of being a 'clutch' (it exists) goalie. I like Kinkaid a lot, and it's pretty clear he will get the shot before Wedgewood does, but it's not hard to see that Wedgewood (who is 3 years younger than Kinkaid) is ahead of the curve.

He did not have 3 great OHL seasons. He had 3 very good OHL seasons. He was not the top goalie in the league or particularly close to it in save percentage. I also don't see how he's ahead of the curve - so ahead of the curve that he's not even playing in the AHL? I know plenty of NHL starters have played in the ECHL and that the lockout screwed things up (one injury in the organization above him and he goes to the AHL), but he's not lighting things up there. The ECHL is a low enough quality league that shot quality is a thing there and not all SV% is equal, but still. And clutch almost certainly doesn't exist at the pro level.

Brodeur also had a GAA of 4.03 that season for Utica.  But clearly the Devils were able to look past those numbers when they brought him up, for a variety of reasons. 

And Wedge is still practically a baby at this point...only 20 (he'll be 21 by the start of next season).  Kinkaid will be 24.  If anything (and I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here), it wouldn't surprise me if Kinkaid became the Terreri, and Wedge the Brodeur in the next generation...not ever suggesting that Wedge will EVER be another Brodeur in any way, just that one guy (Kinkaid) might get there first, get roughly 2-3 seasons in as the starter, then have a younger guy in Wedgewood pushing him with the chance to overtake him as the #1.  But that's a crystal ball that's impossible to read at this point.