GDT: Columbus @ Our New Jersey Devils 7pm ET - Midnight GMT

nick17112

There is zero reason to be signing goalies to 7 or 8 year deals, especially at 7 or 8 per year. Just look at LA and Anaheim. They have more goalies than they know what to do with. The number of elite goalies worldwide will only increase with the sports popularity.

At least for Lou, CS doesn't have a long history in the NHL,say compared to someone like the Queen,which may help keep the dollars down.

There is zero reason to be signing goalies to 7 or 8 year deals, especially at 7 or 8 per year. Just look at LA and Anaheim. They have more goalies than they know what to do with. The number of elite goalies worldwide will only increase with the sports popularity.

At least for Lou, CS doesn't have a long history in the NHL,say compared to someone like the Queen,which may help keep the dollars down.

this may be true, but moving forward this team is going to be built on goaltending and defense. I would be willing to overpay (to an extent) for a sure thing goalie like Cory. Anyone willing to accept 2-3 year deals in ufa means they're coming with question marks.

NJ's had 20+ years to draft another even NHL average goalie after Brodeur, and they have not done it.  And it's not like they have avoided drafted goalies - they've taken 2 guys in the 1st round and some in the 2nd and 3rd round too.  If NJ had a goalie in their system who looked good, great - they don't.  Kinkaid looks like he might be a backup.  Wedgewood has had 2 pro seasons and doesn't look like a starter at all.  

If you have an elite goalie it's worth signing him long-term because he can still provide amazing value.  Jon Quick had one season of elite play, that was the Kings' mistake.

Edited by Triumph

NJ's had 20+ years to draft another even NHL average goalie after Brodeur, and they have not done it.  And it's not like they have avoided drafted goalies - they've taken 2 guys in the 1st round and some in the 2nd and 3rd round too.  If NJ had a goalie in their system who looked good, great - they don't.  Kinkaid looks like he might be a backup.  Wedgewood has had 2 pro seasons and doesn't look like a starter at all.  

If you have an elite goalie it's worth signing him long-term because he can still provide amazing value.  Jon Quick had one season of elite play, that was the Kings' mistake.

And Schneider's never *not* been elite since he's been in the league, so it's probably safer (though anyone would've signed Quick to that after that year)

I would make sure close out a long term deal with Cory and bring up Kikaid. I really like the kids composure.

I thought that might be plan with Marty...was thinking that it was going to be Marty for 2 years while mentoring Kinkaid as backup.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Devlin

And Schneider's never *not* been elite since he's been in the league, so it's probably safer (though anyone would've signed Quick to that after that year)

He's played 131 games in the league to date. How will he fair playing 60+ a season for year after year? Can't say as there isn't a track record right? I think it is much more imperative to have goal scorers than spending the farm on a keeper, especially the way they let guys drive the net now. Just to be clear I think CS is a great tender, but I don't think giving 8 year deals is a smart move, but of course that probably will be another GM's problem anyway.

Ok i'm curious...

Let's sayyyyyyy Lou offers Cory a long-term fair deal this summer and that he turns it down. Now let's say you're Lou, what do you do?

1- See if you can trade him and figure out another option in net ASAP before it's too late.

2- Wait 'til the trade deadline to see where the team is and retry negotiations with him.

3- Wait til after the season hoping he'll simply resign

If there's any other options feel free to share.

You offer him more money. His value to this team is stupendous.

As someone else said, he's still relatively unproven.. Less than 200 games played. He's sure looked good this year, but it's still a gamble offering him a huge multi-year contract.

Oh, and for what it's worth, his playoff numbers aren't very good. Could just be because of the circumstances in Vancouver but still.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

As someone else said, he's still relatively unproven.. Less than 200 games played. He's sure looked good this year, but it's still a gamble offering him a huge multi-year contract. Oh, and for what it's worth, his playoff numbers aren't very good. Could just be because of the circumstances in Vancouver but still. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

.920 save percentage in the playoffs is very good. He can't score